Author Topic: Message Delays  (Read 1742 times)

Kelrae

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Message Delays
« Topic Start: June 03, 2020, 11:51:49 PM »
One thing that I believe destroys realism of the game is the "instant messaging" system where you can quickly relay scout reports or messages across the continent without any fear of delays or interception. Would it be possible to have delays based on distance (not including RP/OOC) for messages to other nobles?

Additionally, I don't know if there'd be the ability to include a small percentile chance that when it goes through a region that includes nobles of a non-neutral realm, that the message could be intercepted based on the unit types (police, for example).

That way, say for instance on Beluaterra, if Thalmarkin and Vordul Sanguinis was at war, and Thalmarkin sent a message through VS to Nothoi, the message could take 3-5 turns to get there, but it could have a chance of being intercepted by aggressive VS units, to not only never be delivered to Nothoi, but to be read by whomever intercepted the message in VS?

I really enjoy the slowness in which a noble or even adventurer moves across the continent. Yet I feel as though the instant messaging causes nobles/adventurers not to move from their safe location and instead just send messages as if by futuristic cell phone to nobles all around the continent.

I try and and use my adventurer as a messenger, and find it really challenging but rewarding. Not sure if this is something others would think could enhance the game, or if it would be too much of an obstacle.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Message Delays
« Reply #1: June 04, 2020, 12:11:42 AM »
Absolutely never.

We toyed with this idea for years, and even introduced a limited version of it (delayed scout reports). It was terrible.

BattleMaster is not intended to be a medieval simulator, and its very core mechanic is its message system. Anything that introduces extra friction in that is likely to make the game significantly less fun.

Furthermore, making it hard and frustrating to send messages makes people vastly more likely to start sending messages by out-of-game means.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Kelrae

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: June 04, 2020, 12:17:00 AM »
Sounds good, thanks for the quick reply. I'll not bother editing this one to fit the format then :P

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 05, 2020, 07:37:31 AM »
To be honest, I very much like the idea becomes it would be much more realistic.
And I like people who would enjoy the game, even then.

However, for me it wouldn't be an enhancement but more like an obstacle to keep playing.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)