Author Topic: Addition to Top Families and/or Realm metrics: Trust/Fun/Roleplaying medals  (Read 8402 times)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
I was thinking about the applications for Magistrate positions and considering that I know of no way to find out who has high numbers of medals other than digging through a lot of family pages.  It might be a fun thing to add to the Top Families page along with wealth and fame, and it might be interesting to have a # of medals/# of players metric for realms to help people see where the trustworthy/fun/Roleplaying people are.

Of course, I'm sure there are implications I haven't considered, so feel free to begin discussions on how silly I am  :D
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
Well, if medals start showing which realms are bad roleplay/fun/trust wise, people will start handing out medals to people who necessarily don't deserve them just to make their realm look more appealing. Given how few medals currently get handed out, I bet there are a lot of people like me who could easily throw around 40-50 medals in one day and still have many more left(I did that a few months ago).
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

songqu88@gmail.com

It's kind of strange how medals work. For example, the Lefanis family has 6 (!) trust medals. For those who do not know, it is generally safe to associate 99.9% of all Lefanis members with rebellion or secession. I'm sure there are several realms on different continents that would ban any such family member on sight.

Conversely, the best roleplayer in BM, the Apasurain family, has 0 (lol) roleplaying medals. For those of you who don't know, he's apparently the best roleplayer in BM history or something according to his forum signature. Meh, I believe it, I guess.

Based on these two critical observations, I conclude that medals have an inverse impact.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
OOC trust does not mean IC trust. Medals are given to players, not characters.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I was thinking about the applications for Magistrate positions and considering that I know of no way to find out who has high numbers of medals other than digging through a lot of family pages.  It might be a fun thing to add to the Top Families page along with wealth and fame, and it might be interesting to have a # of medals/# of players metric for realms to help people see where the trustworthy/fun/Roleplaying people are.

Of course, I'm sure there are implications I haven't considered, so feel free to begin discussions on how silly I am  :D

I wouldn't mind such a tool being available to GMs/Magistrates/Testers/Devs, but I would not favor it being public. If you attract people based on medals, then that will tend to concentrate medals in the realms that already have a good number of them, where all the medal-owners pass their extras amongst themselves. Medal-poor realm would remain as such, regardless of the quality of the players there.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
As Telrunya mentions, medals are OOC things given to players. They are supposed to show how much you trust the player to hold to the rules of the game, how much fun you think they add to the game, are how they are at roleplaying. A player could run every character they play as if they were murderous traitors, and still accumulate dozens of Trust medals, if they are a good player.

Personally, I wouldn't care to see any kind of listing of families vs. medals, or medal counts for realms, etc. I'd hate for them to turn into a contest.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Stue (DC)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
It's kind of strange how medals work. For example, the Lefanis family has 6 (!) trust medals. For those who do not know, it is generally safe to associate 99.9% of all Lefanis members with rebellion or secession. I'm sure there are several realms on different continents that would ban any such family member on sight.

it seems that you omitted to grasp concept of trust medal: that is medal to player, not to character, so the very fact that his chars are known to be doubtful and that they often play that role consequently - clearly means that player deserved his trust medals well, i daresay he should have much more of it.

songqu88@gmail.com

So if I'm reading this correctly, that means Aarth can be trusted to have his characters consistently betray their realms. Hehe, what a delightful revelation. It all makes sense now!

Still doesn't explain why #1 roleplayer Apasurain player has no RP medals.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Easy: He got so many medals, that the counter zeroed when he reached the limit.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

songqu88@gmail.com

Ah, so there's no overflow protection. We should report this to the bugtracker.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
I dislike any kind of realm medal count list, as that violates the OOC nature of medals, IMHO. Moreover, it'd be misleading to give a "total," but even a "per capita" could be difficult.

I wouldn't be adverse to a listing of the top 10 "most decorated" families, though I guess that would actually be 3 lists, one for each medal type.

Well, if medals start showing which realms are bad roleplay/fun/trust wise, people will start handing out medals to people who necessarily don't deserve them just to make their realm look more appealing. Given how few medals currently get handed out, I bet there are a lot of people like me who could easily throw around 40-50 medals in one day and still have many more left(I did that a few months ago).

I don't think I've passed out 50 medals since I joined the game. Are you quite sure you haven't significantly exaggerated?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I don't think I've passed out 50 medals since I joined the game. Are you quite sure you haven't significantly exaggerated?

Maybe you *thought* you were giving a bunch of medals, but was actually clicking back when there was a bug preventing you from actually giving any medals? This could easily give one the impression of having given 50 medals, if one felt generous.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Maybe you *thought* you were giving a bunch of medals, but was actually clicking back when there was a bug preventing you from actually giving any medals? This could easily give one the impression of having given 50 medals, if one felt generous.

It took me fully a year from when I first got the ability to give medals to figure out that you have to click on the medal itself to give it. I kept clicking the link right beside it (I think it says "Give medal"?).
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
It took me fully a year from when I first got the ability to give medals to figure out that you have to click on the medal itself to give it. I kept clicking the link right beside it (I think it says "Give medal"?).
:P

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile

Well, the people I handed the medals out to got them so no bug involved. I did count how many medals I gave and it was in that range. Someone might have it in their IRC log from a few months back. What you need to remember is that this was an over 5 year old account with 20 medals in total received and save for a few medals now and then, it was the first time I gave out a big bunch of medals. Lots of time for them to pile up.

But you don't even need a big bunch from a single guy. I gave out 5 medals just a few days ago and that's probably an amount just about any player can give out if they've been in the game for a while. So a single realm could still easily pile up hundreds of medals to game any system that gave a benefit/punishment from medals.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.