Author Topic: Addition to Top Families and/or Realm metrics: Trust/Fun/Roleplaying medals  (Read 8426 times)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
The game already takes into account realm-preferences though.  You can hand out more medals to non-realmmates than you can to realmmates.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Well, the people I handed the medals out to got them so no bug involved. I did count how many medals I gave and it was in that range. Someone might have it in their IRC log from a few months back. What you need to remember is that this was an over 5 year old account with 20 medals in total received and save for a few medals now and then, it was the first time I gave out a big bunch of medals. Lots of time for them to pile up.

But you don't even need a big bunch from a single guy. I gave out 5 medals just a few days ago and that's probably an amount just about any player can give out if they've been in the game for a while. So a single realm could still easily pile up hundreds of medals to game any system that gave a benefit/punishment from medals.

That still strikes me as astonishing. You get to give out way more medals than I do, apparently, and I give'em out quite quickly.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
The game already takes into account realm-preferences though.  You can hand out more medals to non-realmmates than you can to realmmates.

I gave the medals I mentioned to realm mates so..not sure how much of an limiting factor it is :D
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
I think maybe your experience has been an anomaly, because it doesn't seem to match most of ours.

But whatever the case, nobody said any bonus would be attached to this.

And even aside from the realm issue, it'd still be nice to have a player top 10.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile

The fact that it's easier doesn't mean that it is done more.

I have always given more models to realm mates, for the simple fact that these are the people I play with the most.

While it might be due to my misunderstanding of the system, I'm also less prone to give to foreigners unless they really remarkably deserve it, because I know it may then hinder my possibilities to give to a realm mate when I find he deserves one too (whereas if you can give to a realm mate, you feel safer in doing so because you know you will always have the option to give to a non-realm mate after). Against, this might be because of my misunderstanding of how medals worked, but I always felt incited to hoard my medals enough to always be able to give to realm mates, so as to not feel limited in my options when deserving people show up.

Also, I could guess with pretty good levels of certainty most of where my medals came from. And it was pretty much mostly from realm mates.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Yeah, so you get more medals from realmmates.  That's who you know, and who knows you.  Again, the only "bonus" would be a high listing on the join realm pages.  Which helps lure people to your realm.

If people are trying to "game" the system for the sole purpose of getting more people to join the realm, that would make me think they'd put some effort into retaining those people.

And...This is...A bad thing?
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Yeah, so you get more medals from realmmates.  That's who you know, and who knows you.  Again, the only "bonus" would be a high listing on the join realm pages.  Which helps lure people to your realm.

If people are trying to "game" the system for the sole purpose of getting more people to join the realm, that would make me think they'd put some effort into retaining those people.

And...This is...A bad thing?

Eh... no. Giving medals is a mere click, has nothing to do with retention. Since receiving medals means you can give more medals, it would just mean that people would hoard less and give less medals to outsides in order to dump all medals within the realm, therefore allowing more medals to be given in return.

It'd be like capitalism. You need medals to make medals. And if there's a distinctive advantage to having a lot of medals, such as realm-wide notoriety, then there's be much more incentive to game such a light-weight tool.

Everyone wants more estate-fodder, but not everyone has the time or will to do anything about retention.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
Eh... no. Giving medals is a mere click, has nothing to do with retention. Since receiving medals means you can give more medals, it would just mean that people would hoard less and .

Or accidental click... I've given out a fair number on accident trying to click on user details.  Then again I haven't gotten many in years.  I guess I'm slacking off!

PS - Sirion early on was notorious for giving them out only to realm members.  This has already happened   ???