Author Topic: The Adventure  (Read 8723 times)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Re: The Adventure
« Topic Start: August 10, 2011, 06:49:47 AM »
Dirty and unkempt, but with a gold coin and six silvers jingling in his purse and a sturdy short sword at his belt, Lokenth arrives at the palace of Remton.

"Good day to you," the adventurer says to a pair of guards, putting on his brightest smile. His teeth are good teeth, white, straight, unbroken and unchipped. Better teeth than one born to life of a common outlaw would have. The mark of my nobility, he thinks dryly.

"I would like to offer my services to the King. Perhaps you kind gentlemen could send word."

One of the guards laughed. "Services, eh? The brothels are full, sorry. Move along." The other guard guffawed.

Lokenth was not so easily deterred. He reached into his purse and fumbled for a pair of silver coins. "Very witty! But I think the King could make use of my services. I am an adventurer. All I ask is that you bring word that I am here to serve him."

The guard eyed the pair of coins with interest. His mouth twisted, and Lokenth drew out another coin and placed the three into his hand.

"Oh... I guess that could be managed. Wait here."

As he stood waiting for the guard to return, Lokenth made idle talk with the other man. "You know the King was an adventurer himself, once?" he said in the hushed tone of a confidant.

"Aye," said Lokenth.

"So maybe he'll see you. But no king likes being reminded of a humble origin. You best have something other than coins to offer."

Lokenth nodded, having figured as much. "Aye. That I do."

"Magic swords, jewelry, books of lore and secrets?"

He said nothing. The guard laughed. "I take it you don't."

"I have eyes, and ears. I have my blade, but it's unfortunately quite mundane. Kills monsters good, though, and puts the undead back to grave."

The guard laughed. "Might be you could join the city watch. If you're good, you might even find work in the army. I hope you're not wanting to have the king sit down with you hisself, though."

Lokenth was hoping exactly that, but he knew how small a chance it was, and how foolish it was to hope for such an opportunity. "I wish to prove myself, that he might recognize my worth and put me to good service."

The guard said nothing, but it was obvious what he thought of Lokenth's worth by the smirk.

The hours passed...
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"