Author Topic: The Adventure  (Read 8660 times)

Daycryn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: The Adventure
« Topic Start: August 28, 2011, 07:45:37 PM »
Lokenth wasn't disappointed. These two looked like they'd been in the wilds a lot longer than he had, and he knew what was out there.

"I'm Lokenth," he said, by way of introduction. He seated himself next to them as if they were old friends, his wine goblet in his hand. With his full goblet and his full purse he felt almost a noble, at some feast hall.

"You're Rouen, and ... I do not have the honor of knowing your name, lady?"

He nodded at her reply, and kept his voice down as he went on. "The king wants what we can provide. Hell, what we already provide. Killing monsters, and putting the dead back to dead. His lords and ladies, they want their estates safe and prosperous - you know how they are, they already give bounties. Three of us working together, we could take down those bigger groups. I sure don't like facing them alone, bounty or no. But here's the thing. We'd go around, in an official beastie-slaying capacity, sending official written reports to the king and such."

He leaned forward. "But what we really do is act as the king's secret eyes. We're no scouts, in no damn army, but his eyes for the comings and goings of foreigners, of nobles, of other adventurers, potential assassins, priests... we mark them and we remember them, and we report on them. Sure, he can ask his knights and lords to do this, and maybe they do - but maybe it's some of his knights and lords who he wants to keep an eye on, see. Kings are always worried about rebel lords, it's in the blood."

He leaned back and took a long pull of his wine. It was getting better the more he drank of it. He shrugged. "As ever, it's all about trust."
Lokenth, Warrior of Arcaea, former Adventurer
Adamir, Lord of Luria Nova