Author Topic: Discord, the realities of the BM community, inclusion  (Read 8770 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
The flip of bruck was by a player/character who was bored, which is fine, but growing discontent was never known outside of discord. The player actively asked for someone to give their character IC motivation so they could flip a region. That level of planning occuring outside of BM, if I recall, was always forbidden or at least highly discouraged but occurs.

If the player had already decided "this is what I am going to do, I just need a motivation", then they were going to find the motivation whether someone else deliberately gave it to them or not.

I have also heard from other players in Eponllyn that the player in question had been telling them—in-character, in-game—long before Bruck was handed to Eponllyn that they were unhappy with the direction Eponllyn was taking.

The entire Alexandria colony attempt has been planned OOC on discord to fit meta-game concepts, that Nivemus isn't dense enough so we should put a colony there and enliven it. This is also an example of the close-minded echo bubble I encountered. I asked why did they demand two cities from a realm when they could have subverted Nivemus, they could found their realm and actually fight for their lands, so many options but I was decried as "the problem" and "protecting bad players".

Well, first of all, the idea that Nivemus is spread too thin is hardly something you have to be on Discord to see. The fact that many people on Discord talk about this is not evidence of some Discord conspiracy against Nivemus: It is because it is true, and it does create problems.

Second of all, and following closely on that, the idea that the colony was decided upon in order to reduce Nivemus is silly; Perdan is bursting at the seams with young, ambitious nobles, and they have no easy means of expansion. A colony is an obvious solution to that, and the realm that's practically more regions than nobles is the obvious choice for a location.

And as for Ketchum, I'm sorry, but as Ruler, he is the one to be held responsible for the situation Nivemus is in. I don't know the full story—not the way I know about the situation that unfolded in Wetham—but as nobles fled Nivemus, and those few who remained just sat there collecting gold, he enabled that behaviour, which is a cancer on the game and always has been.

Those are three, specific, current examples. There are less tenuous ones and older ones - ooc spreading of IC information being used IC, highly active players have always had the ears of admins etc when Indirik no less asked for West dwilight rogue spawn to be dialled down after astrum moved into the north west coast. I won't go down a rabbit hole of what has always been apparent, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, but you can put a survey link or more obvious contact options on our account pages.

I'm afraid I don't recall the specifics of the end of the Dwilight monster rampage, but I'm deeply skeptical of your claim that we deliberately did so to enable Astrum to expand into the coastal areas there—simply because that doesn't sound like something either Vita or I would do. It doesn't fit our goals or our principles, and frankly, I'm pretty sick of being told that my actions are somehow caused by "squeaky wheels" influencing me all the time, rather than thinking for myself, analyzing the situation, and making my own damn decisions.

And ultimately, that's what this comes down to: If you don't like something I do, take it up with me, because I'm the one who made that decision. Don't blame it on "Discord", don't blame it on "OOC play". Talk to me and tell me, to my face, what you don't like and why, and do it with the respect you'd expect if you were in my position, and I'll treat you the same.

Accuse me of being either cozy with a small group of players and out to benefit them at everyone else's expense, or easily manipulated and used by said players, and I'll tell you to shove it, because that's really insulting, and I'm not going to put up with it anymore.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan