Author Topic: Jousting Duels, Ignore Character Confirmation  (Read 2340 times)

David Waring

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Jousting Duels, Ignore Character Confirmation
« Topic Start: August 15, 2020, 07:37:22 PM »
Greetings BM Devs,

Two things here.

1. Add jousting duels

2. Add a "are you sure" confirmation when you ignore someone. As it stands the button is wedged directly in-between "Reply to List" and "Userdetails" when viewing messages from a player. I managed to ignore my ruler by accident and had missed 66 messages by the time I corrected it.

Jousting is a combat skill that some characters pride themselves on far more than their swordfighting. If a situation arises where a jousting champion needs to duel it's weird that they're forced into using a sword.

As for the second it's really not a big issue, but I think it'd be a decent QOL safety net for dumbies like myself.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Jousting Duels, Ignore Character Confirmation
« Reply #1: August 15, 2020, 07:39:44 PM »
While I'm fully in favour of making there be a bit more space between "ignore" and other buttons on the bottom of messages, I completely share Tom's philosophy on confirmation dialog boxes: They should be used only when absolutely necessary. Otherwise, they simply provide an extra layer of frustration for people and train them to automatically click "yes" on everything.

I would also be willing to consider adding some slightly more prominent indicator of how many characters you have ignored.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Tideweaver

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 15, 2020, 09:10:28 PM »
Jousting duels would be amazing!

And im not the best coder, but I feel like this feature would be easy to implement. Just take the existing duel function and have it draw from the jousting skill vs the sword fighting skill.

A duel of Joust is JUST as honorable if not even MORESO than a duel of sword.

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
  • If you can't keep up, don't step up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 16, 2020, 01:48:00 AM »
My thoughts are that duels are meant to settle arguments or slights. Jousting is more of a "sport" and less of a judicial system IMO.

That being said, I think there should be WAY more glory to jousting at tournaments, like they automatically get twice the purse that sword fighting gets or something. But that isn't the purpose of this FR, so I digress.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations.

Abstract

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 16, 2020, 03:22:37 AM »
Doesn't have to be a duel, could always be a training match.

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
  • If you can't keep up, don't step up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 16, 2020, 04:53:21 PM »
Jousting training matches would be cool. IIRC sword fighting training matches don't increase your skill, but they prevent the skill from degrading.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations.