Author Topic: Let's Play the Colonial Adventurer!  (Read 46048 times)

songqu88@gmail.com

Let's Play the Colonial Adventurer!
« Topic Start: March 04, 2011, 02:16:14 AM »
Hello, I have noticed recently that I still have one slot open for a character, and I figured with the cycling I've gone through with everyone but Garret (he has never missed a turn since his creation in February of 2008), I'd do something slightly different here.

It's time to start a new adventurer, and he/she will be directed by the whims of his/her "gods", aka you guys. Note to Tom/GMs, if there are any objections to this type of playstyle, please let me know so I can promptly stop this. What I intend here is to open up character name and gender, as well as let you guys suggest general personality. From there I will try my best to play according to the archetype that is either most suggested, or in the case where there is not enough interest, whichever comes first/sounds most interesting to me.

So, why an adventurer? Because there is very little opportunity to exploit that character for anything. I'm not saying anyone would, but this way, there's pretty much nothing my character can do to alter anything in whichever realm I'm in.

Why did I choose Colonies? I figured the halved rate of hours would provide more time for people to check on the action and to command the hapless commoner to whatever whims his/her "gods" will.

In-game, in-character, the adventurer will hear voices telling him/her to do stuff. These voices will be the in-game representation of what you suggest here. If you say "Find pretty plenties in Outer Tilog for 16 hours", then he/she will do it. But please suggest something that is actually possible by game mechanics, or something that is possible for adventurers of low level (at least for the start). For example, if I have 0 silver, please don't say "Buy combat gear". Also, suggestions of "Kill yourself" will be promptly ignored as the insinuations of malevolent demons.

Now, without further ado, I open the gates to you guys to tell me the name and gender of this new adventurer. If you want, you can add a general idea of the personality, though if no one wants to do that, I can make one up myself.

Thanks for your involvement, and please enjoy!

Igelfeld

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play the Colonial Adventurer!
« Reply #1: March 04, 2011, 02:22:17 AM »
I had a lot of fun RPing an adventurer that spoke Hawaiian Pidgin. It gave him a real earthy feel. But alas, the position of adventurer and inability to communicate to the realm is kind of frustrating, In the end the character became a friend of King Moritz in  Asylon, he appears sometimes when I am feeling extra creative.

But given what you have already stated about the character, I think an earthy accent and feel would be quite useful in fleshing out the personality. This tends to work best with male characters, I don't know why. 
Moritz Von Igelfeld - King of Asylon
Moria Von Igelfeld - Viscountess of Lanston
Ulrich Von Igelfeld - Knight of Remton, Dark Isle Colonist

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 04, 2011, 04:13:55 AM »
Name: Amvaroleus
Personality: Haughty but cowardly, prideful but petty. Specifically, has delusions that the "gods" are the voices of his former "court advisors." Given his grandiose-sounding name, he believes he was once a great emperor, who was cast out of time and space to the Colonies. This is intended to be a comic spin on the classic judge move of deporting people to the Colonies.

On a sidenote, I 100% intend on recommending idiotic and dangerous courses of action, potentially even impossible ones, to your adventurer on a regular basis. The role of malevolent demon sounds appealing to me. I may occasionally suggest possible actions.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #3: March 04, 2011, 12:16:56 PM »
I'd suggest making the advie Female to make it more interesting if you're going to attempt some bizarre/impossible/bad/awesome stuff. :D
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #4: March 04, 2011, 02:42:01 PM »
Note to Tom/GMs, if there are any objections to this type of playstyle, please let me know so I can promptly stop this.

I'm always in support of crazy experiments.

egamma

« Reply #5: March 04, 2011, 07:18:35 PM »
I'll be following this, sounds great.

To-do list: find 8 portal stones, move to Portion, and open the portal!

When my advy in the colonies found her first portal stone, this was the idea I hatched, but alas, the other 7 remained hidden.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #6: March 04, 2011, 08:12:47 PM »
@egamma: I've got no problems going off collecting portal stones, though I admit I have no clue how to find them. Also, I doubt they'd do anything even if I collect 8. Daimon portals most likely don't work like that, and Colonies isn't one where that stuff happens...I think.

So I think I'll start tomorrow evening.

egamma

« Reply #7: March 05, 2011, 05:05:00 AM »
Portal stones are just a standard item you find when collecting. http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Adventurer/Items/Usable

Also, I say speak with the other adventurers as much as possible, and ask them to give you portal stones. Promise them that the portal will lead to a world where they are kings.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #8: March 06, 2011, 02:12:15 AM »
So there were four replies that indicated anything about the character. As such, I will combine them in a way that hopefully works.

Name: Amvaroleia (Leia because I don't feel like typing that much for the name)

Personality: Acts stuck up but is actually a coward at heart. Has delusions of varying degrees, and thinks the voices that tell her to do stuff come from beings called "Beamers" (BMers), who are her divine advisors who will guide her when she regains her rightful throne as empress of some celestial kingdom or whatever.

Agenda: Apart from becoming this divine empress, gather 8 portal stones and use them on Portion.

Appearance: Hm...she has red hair I guess?

Ok, now let's get started. The actions I take will be dictated by you. I will generally take the action most suggested, or whichever seems most fitting if the suggestions are relatively similar. If it turns out that there is too much difference in the plotted course of action, then I will either queue the actions based on time of post, or, if that is not possible, pick randomly.

There will likely be a lot of text during this. If you want pictures then I could take some screenshots, but I would prefer to use those sparingly. So finally, let's begin.

==============================

New Character
Welcome to the BattleMaster game.

You are starting your career in Warmanoras, in the realm of Oritolon.
Welcome to Oritolon
This is a Republic realm.
The following is the New Members Notice. It contains the base rules of this realm. You should read it carefully.
This is the realm of Oritolon.. a place filled wiht internal plotting and drama.. if you do not like it then leave and join another realm

After reading the flier that flew into her face, Leia stared at the words and threw it behind her. Placing her hands on her hips, she puffed out her meager chest and stared proudly at the horizon.

"Time t'start'is." She said in a strange accent.

Roleplay from Ayden Da Hadez
A stooped and limping man in a rough hessian robe passes you on the road.

He stumbles and as you instictively reach to steady him he slips a parchment into your hand and moves away swiftly.

The letter is brief but informative. It lists a number of taverns, inns and smithies in Oritolon that will act as messengers for General Ayden. It explains that though he cannot be seen to correspond to commoners he recognises the value of adventures and in exchange for information will advise and aid them as much as he can through these 'dead drops'.
Ayden Da Hadez
Minister of War of Oritolon

Leia stared at the paper for a while, staring as she pondered what the divine voices would tell her to do next.

Pick what you would like to do.

Current region:

Warmanoras
Oritolon, duchy of Alowca
Type: Rural

Travel times are:

Neighbouring Regions
travel to...
Alowca (Oritolon)
very bad road, 216 miles, ca. 16 hours
hitch a cart (2 gold, 1 silver, 14 hours)
take a coach (3 gold, 3 silver, 12 hours)
take a boat (2 gold, 2 silver, 11 hours)
Irdalni (Oritolon)
very bad road, 190 miles, ca. 15 hours

==========

Landmarks: The Path of Chivalry Temple

Commoners:
Amvaroleia (Outlaw)

==============================

Inventory: Nothing

Money: 5 silver
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 03:14:51 PM by Artemesia »

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #9: March 06, 2011, 01:13:11 PM »
Let's search for the first 20 or so hours to actually get some stuff. ;)

Go for the commonest things so we have something to work with.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #10: March 06, 2011, 02:30:25 PM »
I wonder whether there is a difference between gathering at 16 hours, as opposed to gathering for 2 hours, resting 2, then alternating this way. From what I've seen, fatigue starts to affect finds at around 15. But since I last played an adventurer seriously in 2008 I am not so sure what would be effective.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #11: March 06, 2011, 02:39:47 PM »
I've only played an advie for a little while on Atamara to get to know how advies work. :P

Hopefully some more advie-playing players will comment.

egamma

« Reply #12: March 06, 2011, 03:02:25 PM »
BTW, the Colonies have a 16 hour max queue--which is also what you'll gain in a RL day.

Also, I think it's better to search for about 10 hours, then sleep for 6. This also means you don't have to check in every 2 hours to play.

Action: search for items (balanced)

Triggster

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: March 06, 2011, 03:03:02 PM »
It would be an interesting experiment actually. I'll test it out with my advie over the course of this week.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #14: March 06, 2011, 03:11:10 PM »
I think on Colonies the time regen rate is 1 game hour per 2 real hours. That would mean it takes 32 (!!!) hours to get a full time pool, not taking into account resting. I also have poor resting optimization estimates. I know this is a laid-back playthrough and there's no need to try to optimize hours. But I would like to give you guys more actions and less time watching Leia sleep.

Her time pool's at 14 right now, and I think it increases every even hour. That means there are about 4 hours left (or 3 depending on which hour she regens) before I try out different methods of gathering.

Also I have realized that indicating which nobles are in a region might give away information that could be exploited. Even if no one would actually do that, I would like not to take that risk, and so there will only be adventurers listed in regions.