Author Topic: More options for Stewards  (Read 4306 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: More options for Stewards
« Topic Start: October 05, 2020, 05:24:09 PM »
That's a strange take. I don't think that administrative chores were ever the main attraction of being a landed noble.
I mean, wasn't actual medieval steward's job literally what I desribed?

While I am sure there were, in fact, plenty of medieval Lords who delegated every last one of their responsibilities to stewards, heirs, or whoever they found who would take them on, and spent all day hunting and drinking, there are a number of good reasons that I don't feel it best fits BattleMaster's needs to emulate that model.

One of the foremost of these is that it is intentional in BattleMaster for positions of power to come with increased levels of responsibility. If you are not interested in performing any of the responsibilities of a region Lord, you should not accept the position—and this goes for every level of the hierarchy.

I think it might make sense to expand the abilities of stewards somewhat, but there is definitely a line to be drawn, and that line is well before "every button a Lord can push".
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan