Author Topic: Feature request: Unpause and move continents  (Read 1581 times)

Matthew Gagnon

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Feature request: Unpause and move continents
« Topic Start: February 11, 2022, 11:14:29 PM »
Had a thought. I have a paused character that I have had a chance to do a lot of roleplay about while he is paused... but I would really like to unfreeze her and use her again, and build a new direction for her story.

However, I elevated an adventurer on the same continent who is active. He is currently a ruler, and I really like his character too and don't want to freeze him just to unfreeze her.

I have had two hero characters be killed recently, so I have room to have a character on Beluaterra or South Island... but I would much rather use my established paused character rather than a new character in those spots. I could use a really great bit of roleplay (she has been missing) to create a fun new story about her boat crashing on the new continent, with her having no memory of her kidnapping, and her search for answers in her new home... maybe someday if my other character dies she could then move there opening up even more fun story ideas.

In any event, I can't do any of that, because you have to unpause on the same continent as you were paused on.

I have no idea what may be required to allow a character to unpause and move to another continent at the moment they unfreeze... and acknowledge it may be too hard or too complex, and if so I totally get it. But if it was possible, I think it could allow some great use of paused characters, particularly with new roleplays and what now. It could also help avoid the old "my character died and 5 minutes later a mysterious 'cousin' shows up" phenomenon by introducing a new option.

Thats it, thanks!

PolarRaven

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Feature request: Unpause and move continents
« Reply #1: February 12, 2022, 04:56:41 AM »
Matthew,

What you want may be possible, but you would have to ask Devlin(Tim) directly to see if he would be willing to do a "manual" character transfer for you. 

PolarRaven

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: February 12, 2022, 05:05:58 AM »
If you are looking for this as a feature request, It may be better stated as a request to be able to "move a paused character to a different island" without having to unpause.

(And SI is a separate/special island that does NOT allow characters to transfer to or from it from/to other islands.)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: February 12, 2022, 02:55:40 PM »
...I think that the best way to implement this might be to improve the interface for when you have more characters active (either total or on an island) than the limit; that would make it much less frustrating when those moments happen (like when donation goodies run out).

I will give some thought to this, but it's unlikely to happen in the immediate future, I'm afraid.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

PolarRaven

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: February 16, 2022, 02:56:36 AM »
I believe that many people have come across the problem of wanting paused characters "unpaused" in a different location.
Most often, this leads to needing to pause an active character (loosing all progress) and then unpausing and moving the desired character before being able to resume play with the "original" character.

A possible fix to this might be to have all paused characters sent to a "LIMBO" that allows them to be unpaused to any location that a player has a free open slot for a character.

ie:  a character is paused on BT and replaced with a new one. 
Several months later that player looses a noble on Dwi and rather than start a new one, decides that the paused noble from BT would do well as a replacement on Dwi.
Current mechanics require that the player must do a lot of pausing/unpausing/emigrating to accomplish this.  Much time is lost for both characters (also reducing the fun for the player who is unable to play either for a period of time).

With a "LIMBO", this could be accomplished with no disruption of play for either character, allowing the player to continue with no interruption to their game.