Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 21150 times)

Daycryn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Game of Thrones
« Topic Start: July 30, 2011, 09:42:40 AM »
Anyone else read the book(s) and/or watched the HBO show?

I read the books and was immediately enthralled by them. Game of Thrones is basically Battlemaster in epic novel series form. (Or Battlemaster is basically the Game of Thrones in game form?) It inspired me to write my own novel, get back to playing BM, and reminded me just how much win this game is.

I got the newest book the other week and finished it in a feverish three days of being glued to the page. Not nearly as interesting by itself as the others, but still damn good. Damn good.

Anyone who plays battlemaster ought to enjoy these books.
Lokenth, Warrior of Arcaea, former Adventurer
Adamir, Lord of Luria Nova

Zakilevo

Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #1: July 30, 2011, 10:05:46 AM »
Such a ruthless show. They don't hesitate to cut off heads of good characters...

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: July 30, 2011, 11:18:02 AM »
Such a ruthless show. They don't hesitate to cut off heads of good characters...

Well, it's based on a book, would be a pretty silly to change the story just because it's a show.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: July 30, 2011, 12:00:08 PM »
i would think cutting heads off is rather tame for them books (haven't seen the tv stuff)
firefox

squishymaster

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: July 30, 2011, 08:33:14 PM »
I've read the first three books but got tired of waiting sooo long between books that I occupied myself with other crap and haven't read book 4 or 5.  Now that I'm paying attention again I get to read two books back to back :)  Which is good because if I remember correctly he meant to write that as one book but cut it into two because it got so big so yea for me.  I watched the first like 5 episodes and it is pretty sweet so far and some of the actor choices were pretty awesome like the dwarf and joffrey, but some were were crap choices like the guy playing jon snow was a terrible god awful choice.

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: July 30, 2011, 08:49:13 PM »
Are books 4 and 5 out then?

Zakilevo

« Reply #6: July 30, 2011, 09:39:27 PM »
I think it is out up to the fourth volume.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: July 30, 2011, 11:51:43 PM »
I think it is out up to the fourth volume.

Book five is out.  Four came out ages ago. 

Daycryn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: July 31, 2011, 12:10:15 AM »
I've read the first three books but got tired of waiting sooo long between books that I occupied myself with other crap and haven't read book 4 or 5.  Now that I'm paying attention again I get to read two books back to back :)  Which is good because if I remember correctly he meant to write that as one book but cut it into two because it got so big so yea for me.  I watched the first like 5 episodes and it is pretty sweet so far and some of the actor choices were pretty awesome like the dwarf and joffrey, but some were were crap choices like the guy playing jon snow was a terrible god awful choice.

I dunno, I thought it was perfect casting. Jon Snow is appropriately EMO and EMO RAGES when he should. He's a generally disagreeable person, really. 'Boo hoo, I'm a bastard. Oh wah, I joined the Night's Watch and it's not as fun as I stupidly thought. Boo hoo, Ygritte. Boo hoo, no one likes me. Wah.' Seriously, by book 3 I was just tired of reading his chapters, it felt like reading Jon Snow's Blog. :p
Lokenth, Warrior of Arcaea, former Adventurer
Adamir, Lord of Luria Nova

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #9: July 31, 2011, 05:12:43 PM »

That was the part that I liked most (saw the show). There's an author who's not afraid of letting horrible things happen to his main characters. And real/permanent bad things, not as in "oh, in the end, it'll all turn out ok". For a while you think that (with the boy in the beginning, who does indeed wake up again). But when they cut off the head... that's when it sinks in. That this guy is really killing off his protagonists. I like that!

Zakilevo

« Reply #10: July 31, 2011, 11:05:22 PM »
I wonder.. in the end, will there be any survivor? I mean if he keeps this pace, he will end up cutting everyone's head off :)

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 01, 2011, 02:19:50 AM »
I loved the dragons & sexy lady at the season's ending. For the rest Tom's summary of what the author does with his main characters pretty much sums up what I think about it, too. No happy ending (so far!).

Also, haven't read the books. Shame on me I guess.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 01, 2011, 07:47:58 PM »
I'd always heard of the books but never got around to reading them. Then I kept hearing that this pilot for some series called Game of Thrones was awesome, so I decided to watch.

I love love love the series. I really need to buy the books (I've read some of Martin's other stuff and really enjoyed it) but my backlog of books is getting silly and his books are far down on this list.

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 02, 2011, 04:46:47 AM »
I'm a Malazan Book of the Fallen man myself. I'd heard of A Game of Thrones but the consensus seemed to be if you liked Malazan, you probably wouldn't like the Thrones series so much and vice versa. But after all the tv show publicity, I finally decided to give it a go. Only 70-odd pages in like, but I'm really enjoying it. Look forward to seeing how it unfolds. Anyway, I'd best stop checking this thread before someone ruins my life >.<

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: August 02, 2011, 12:01:13 PM »
don't get why if you like one book series you can't like the other.

i've read parts of both... then again, i am a bit of a junkie for reading stuff, just don't ask me to remember them.
firefox