Author Topic: Diplomat's military restrictions  (Read 2259 times)

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Diplomat's military restrictions
« Topic Start: November 14, 2020, 06:08:17 AM »
So I've recently found out that diplomats have their unit size cut to a 1/3 AND converted to poilce.
I can not help wondering why. Courtiers and infils don't have it as bad. And they gain way more non-combat features than diplomats.
Why not keep only one penalty (either reduced size or non-combat army deisgnation)? What's the purpose behind making a rp-heavy class exceptionally worthless in combat?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Diplomat's military restrictions
« Reply #1: November 14, 2020, 02:57:45 PM »
Diplomats have some of the most powerful abilities in the game. I don't know why you're classifying it as "RP-heavy".

Furthermore, even if you look at it primarily as a class whose purpose is to visit other realms and interact with them, such interactions are supposed to be peaceful. A Diplomat shouldn't have more than a basic personal guard; they wouldn't be leading around a whole legion, as that would likely lead to an international incident.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 15, 2020, 12:57:48 AM »
Diplomats have some of the most powerful abilities in the game.
Can you explain what you mean? Maybe I'm missing something.
The only new options I see are influencing region's sympathy to this or that realm and drafting/signing treaties.
Furthermore, even if you look at it primarily as a class whose purpose is to visit other realms and interact with them, such interactions are supposed to be peaceful. A Diplomat shouldn't have more than a basic personal guard; they wouldn't be leading around a whole legion, as that would likely lead to an international incident.
I agree with the reduced size. But why police designation? It's weird to take the local police on diplomatic missions.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: November 15, 2020, 01:03:53 AM »
Can you explain what you mean? Maybe I'm missing something.
The only new options I see are influencing region's sympathy to this or that realm and drafting/signing treaties.I agree with the reduced size.

Influencing sympathy is pretty much the entire key to takeovers. Do it well enough, and you can sometimes get regions to flip all on their own.

But why police designation? It's weird to take the local police on diplomatic missions.

Because the sympathy abilities are also incredibly useful within your own realm, to make sure your regions are in top shape.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Matthew Runyon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: November 15, 2020, 02:58:48 AM »
Being able to single-handedly keep sympathy/loyalty where you want it is enormously powerful mechanically.  I've had a maxed out Ambassador get 12% loyalty gains a turn for multiple turns in a row.  Diplomat also synergizes with Priest very powerfully, unlocking all the powerful Priest abilities as well.