Author Topic: Wealthy Low-Noble Nations and Militia  (Read 2388 times)

Ardent

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Wealthy Low-Noble Nations and Militia
« Topic Start: December 07, 2020, 10:34:06 PM »
So this started as me having a knee-jerk reaction against something then me realizing that I really don't know enough to have a strong opinion on the matter. So I decided to come to the forum to lay out what is on my mind and hopefully get feedback in the form of education. :)

My concern is that it might be possible that, in a realm with high wealth but low noble count, militia might end up becoming a bit too potent. Or maybe impactful is a better word? Thus allowing a country to fight well above it's weight class in defensive contests and, possibly, make the efforts of players feel a bit less meaningful.

I realize that militia have a cost. That they need to be maintained.  That they have limitations. I also suspect that the composition of most realms make questionably heavy use of militia unrealistic unless they intentionally choose to starve their nobles of wealth. So I don't think this would ever be a frequent occurrence and that, even when it does occur, the impact isn't really devastating.

I also realize that a realm of high wealth but low noble count using militia to close the gap can only do so in a defensive manner. But even then I wonder if, in such situations, it might make realm versus realm combat feel a bit more like NPCs are carrying the day.

I'm not sure if I am explaining it well. I am also sure that there is a lot I am missing. And while there is a tiny chance that this might actually be a concern for others, I honestly brought it up because I wanted be educated on the topic.

Thanks!