Author Topic: So You Want To Join The Far East - An Overview of the Realms  (Read 35048 times)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile

Southern alliance did have predictable tactics, which made Arcaea's response a lot easier.  And most of the time, we got information on Zonasa's movements as soon as they happened one way or another.

This. After the first few battles it was trival to equip our armies to have an advantage against the Zonasians. I also note that while your realm noticed that Arcaea tend to opt for a more even troop distribution rather then having a few rich nobles with large units and everyone else with very modest units, it never seemed like you were able to replicate it :) Arcaea SHOULD be an easy realm to counter, as we rely so heavily on infantry, I worry about the day someone on FEI puts together a force tailored to take us on.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
We'll have to change as soon as the new archer code goes live on stable.  I'm hoping that will coincide with the conquest of Arcachon and the breakup of Arcaea, which will split the great infantry RC's and encourage more balanced armies.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
We'll have to change as soon as the new archer code goes live on stable.  I'm hoping that will coincide with the conquest of Arcachon and the breakup of Arcaea, which will split the great infantry RC's and encourage more balanced armies.

Our archers aren't bad, just not quite enough RC's for them.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Working on it, slowly.  I think a lot of people forget (or never knew) but given how continuously Arcaea's been at war and how all the conquests have worked, we have several regions with no RC"s whatsoever, and haven't had the leisure to make a real concerted RC push since before the Ethialan war.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
On to the point. It's true, there were a lot of mistakes made in the last conflict, on both sides really. I wouldn't claim Arcaea's tactics to be great by any stretch. They were simply more effective than Zonasa/Aenilia's.

I thought Arcaea's tactics were quite good, personally, although I am biased. We had one go at Idapur and fluffed it, and Kindara prevented us from easily attacking it for much of the war. So we devastated Aenilia's regions instead. Ahael was taken, Ornaz was destroyed, Erahol was damaged and Zolon and Nahad had both been raided. As for Aenilia always being able to feed itself, Idapur and Nahad were both starving before Ipsosez went rogue. It was only investments in the cities that kept their production going.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
I'd say favouring the southerners, myself, given that Ohnar West was steadily losing.  They shouldn't have been, of course, and that was a surprise to Jenred, but it became evident pretty quickly.
I knew we'd get our butts kicked, but I didn't anticipate that it would happen so badly, or so quickly.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

TDLR

• Freeman
  • Having Fun.
    • View Profile
This. After the first few battles it was trival to equip our armies to have an advantage against the Zonasians. I also note that while your realm noticed that Arcaea tend to opt for a more even troop distribution rather then having a few rich nobles with large units and everyone else with very modest units, it never seemed like you were able to replicate it :) Arcaea SHOULD be an easy realm to counter, as we rely so heavily on infantry, I worry about the day someone on FEI puts together a force tailored to take us on.

This is very true. We tried, but many nobles simply weren't active or didn't want to. We had gold we were willing to throw around to any noble who wanted to march north... Anyway, Zonasa is working on expelling the idle players from the realm (as some are probably spies and others are just jerks who want to be difficult, i.e. sit in the capital and send the money to their families to be used elsewhere). Erandi is cracking down on region lords to get their knights into shape. They've got an oath of service, after all, and if they're not providing the service that the lord demands, well, they're in breach of oath and can go find somewhere else to sit around all day.

Also, I think a 'catch infils' option might be good for police work. As now we simply patrol the streets, that's dependent on nobles actually doing some infil work. Whereas the forward scouts Arcaea had in Zonasa almost effectively couldn't be caught (scouting regions to see when Zonasa was leaving, once the armies left they were pretty much free to cause problems). This is probably where Erandi's hatred of infiltrators hurts Zonasa, as the Principality really doesn't have an elite infil who would counter the other. Maybe this problem will be somewhat handled by the new diplomacy when it goes live...
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." -- Winston Churchill

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Anyway, Zonasa is working on expelling the idle players from the realm (as some are probably spies and others are just jerks who want to be difficult, i.e. sit in the capital and send the money to their families to be used elsewhere).

You've got two legitimate IC reasons right there... why would you need to call the players jerks?
After all it's a roleplaying game.

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
You've got two legitimate IC reasons right there... why would you need to call the players jerks?
I don't know about the players, but some of the characters are jerks.  We've just been too busy up til now to take care of them.

TDLR

• Freeman
  • Having Fun.
    • View Profile

Sorry, should have perhaps been a bit more p.c. Characters are jerks, not players. Perhaps better said, characters who sit around idle and don't really do much, but do just enough to keep their place in the ranks of things, are incredibly frustrating. Of course, I'm sure some people say that about the way I play Erandi, Diana, and especially Carlos, so maybe a case of the pot calling the kettle black...
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." -- Winston Churchill

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Nobody reviewed Cathay:

Cathay's role in the story: circling the drain
Similar to: Ohnar West, but without elections on who has to clean the drain every week
Still beats the heck out of: Antoza

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Nobody reviewed Cathay:

Cathay's role in the story: circling the drain
Similar to: Ohnar West, but without elections on who has to clean the drain every week
Still beats the heck out of: Antoza

Addition: 2 regions left, approximately 7 nobles. Maybe consumed by Zonasa in the future, or Toupellon for that matter.

The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Cathay is actually slowly growing in nobles. They have 11 now from 8 a couple of days ago - likely those who didn't want to be abruptly dragged into Toupellon. Given they're showing their loyalty to Cathay, I wonder if they know their king is in the process of selling them out to Zonasa.

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Cathay is actually slowly growing in nobles. They have 11 now from 8 a couple of days ago - likely those who didn't want to be abruptly dragged into Toupellon. Given they're showing their loyalty to Cathay, I wonder if they know their king is in the process of selling them out to Zonasa.

If it gets Kalyans ban removed, she's all for it.

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
If it gets Kalyans ban removed, she's all for it.
That depends how nicely she asks, and if she asks the right people.

'The Right People' may perhaps have multiple answers, though probably different long term results.

Though this is complicated by my difficulty in remembering the exact events that transpired.  I remember then in general terms, though, and I know that Morgan feels somewhat betrayed. . . .