Author Topic: Wealthy Low-Noble Nations and Militia  (Read 2324 times)

Ardent

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Wealthy Low-Noble Nations and Militia
« Topic Start: December 07, 2020, 10:34:06 PM »
So this started as me having a knee-jerk reaction against something then me realizing that I really don't know enough to have a strong opinion on the matter. So I decided to come to the forum to lay out what is on my mind and hopefully get feedback in the form of education. :)

My concern is that it might be possible that, in a realm with high wealth but low noble count, militia might end up becoming a bit too potent. Or maybe impactful is a better word? Thus allowing a country to fight well above it's weight class in defensive contests and, possibly, make the efforts of players feel a bit less meaningful.

I realize that militia have a cost. That they need to be maintained.  That they have limitations. I also suspect that the composition of most realms make questionably heavy use of militia unrealistic unless they intentionally choose to starve their nobles of wealth. So I don't think this would ever be a frequent occurrence and that, even when it does occur, the impact isn't really devastating.

I also realize that a realm of high wealth but low noble count using militia to close the gap can only do so in a defensive manner. But even then I wonder if, in such situations, it might make realm versus realm combat feel a bit more like NPCs are carrying the day.

I'm not sure if I am explaining it well. I am also sure that there is a lot I am missing. And while there is a tiny chance that this might actually be a concern for others, I honestly brought it up because I wanted be educated on the topic.

Thanks!

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Wealthy Low-Noble Nations and Militia
« Reply #1: December 07, 2020, 11:22:41 PM »
This problem has been around for a long time. Militias have been nerfed quite a bit in the past few years to reduce this. They actually disappear over time faster now. It is a hard problem to solve. If you make militias too weak, large realms will just run over small realms. If you make them too strong, it becomes too difficult to siege cities. But then there are plans to make the whole thing more interesting. I'd wait for Anaris' new trading system. That will allow you to starve cities again meaning it doesn't matter how many militia units your enemies have as long as you can cut them off.

Greybrook

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: December 08, 2020, 11:03:16 AM »
I personally believe that the bushel system and trading is something that could reward players whom think strategically. While I do not know what this new system would actually look like, there should be an serious impact for lack of bushels. On testing islands, nearly all cities can survive on 1/4 rations.

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: December 08, 2020, 09:19:40 PM »
The new trading system is similar to the old system but automated. No more instant teleportation of goods. I think it will work really well once Anaris adds the whole supply line idea.