Author Topic: Making Stuff Happen - A Rant  (Read 21397 times)

Stue (DC)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Making Stuff Happen - A Rant
« Reply #60: August 04, 2011, 09:20:39 PM »
And would you have done all of this if you were a new player and not just a new noble?

is it not good example how experienced player can do much with the same amount of buttons as newbie has? and that actually means that newbie has many things to learn even without being promoted.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #61: August 04, 2011, 11:13:06 PM »
Most of the things he did were not button actions but RP actions, and not things a newbie would know about, or think about doing.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #62: August 04, 2011, 11:29:32 PM »
Most of the things he did were not button actions but RP actions, and not things a newbie would know about, or think about doing.

Then perhaps the problem isn't that they don't have enough to do, but that they don't properly understand what they could do?

I would greatly favor us encouraging newbies to spend 5 more minutes  day writing messages than giving them 5 minutes' worth of button clicking a day. We already have too much routine clicking for my tastes.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #63: August 05, 2011, 07:25:22 AM »
Then perhaps the problem isn't that they don't have enough to do, but that they don't properly understand what they could do?

I would greatly favor us encouraging newbies to spend 5 more minutes day writing messages than giving them 5 minutes' worth of button clicking a day. We already have too much routine clicking for my tastes.

Agreed. I would have greatly appreciated people talking in general more when I was a newbie, as well as people helping IC and OOC with getting me started in the game. Like recently, I asked a new player if he wished to become my knight in the new realm I will be forming with Allison Kabrinski. I also directed him to a lord who needed a lord and told him that I would be there for him if he needed any help. I've now got a very loyal follower, which may come of use in the future.

Stue (DC)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #64: August 05, 2011, 12:02:49 PM »
i believe that through all this dicussion we can come to the core of the problem, but stating that in many other threads I will try to be as short as possible:

there is too large stability which forces those in power to be in balance, and those who attempt to shake that balance are mostly doomed, so experienced players mostly avoid that, and that leads to situation that they simply have nothing to talk about, as no effort is needed to maintain power, while those who make efforts to "cause troubles" (all initiatives always lead to that) are mostly doomed.

look at some smaller realms that are not even stable enough - leaders in power will often tend to attract and gain respect from even lowest ranked nobles, and they will be involved to at least some storyline from very beginning.

such realms, however, fail very often as they cannot compete unnaturally compact realms and overall continent stabilization mostly leads to gand of overly stable realms. in such realms, on the other hand, as there are no much stories, only buttons make difference, and people eventually give more value to buttons than they should, but as said, core reasons for that are elsewhere.

so, yes - solution is definitely more stories, not more buttons, but political stall does not allow that, and some rearrangement of buttons is needed to break that stall.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #65: August 05, 2011, 06:39:24 PM »
Well, if you try to overthrow the government by yelling to everyone who can hear "Let's overthrow the government! Join me!", you aren't going to get many comers. You have to be more indirect than that.