Author Topic: Why's it so hard to become a courtier?  (Read 1667 times)

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Why's it so hard to become a courtier?
« Topic Start: June 25, 2021, 05:29:15 AM »
I remember a while back you could choose to start as a courtier. Now it requires 21 days in realm. Why?

It's easier to become a priest. Priests are a lot more powerful than courtiers in my experience. Also it's impossible to eject a priest from a religion. There has always been a lot of potential for people to easily infiltrate religions and be impossible to remove.

So with that in mind why are courtiers such a privileged class. Is it concern that too many people will play as them thus undermining the war and combat nature of battlemaster? I doubt that will happen. It's rare for there to be more than a couple courtiers in a given realm.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Why's it so hard to become a courtier?
« Reply #1: June 25, 2021, 02:07:19 PM »
I do not recall for certain the specific reason at this point, but I believe it was to ensure that realms did not force new, and thus "untrusted", members to be courtiers and perform region maintenance work for some amount of time upon joining.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Why's it so hard to become a courtier?
« Reply #2: June 26, 2021, 11:57:45 PM »
I do not recall for certain the specific reason at this point, but I believe it was to ensure that realms did not force new, and thus "untrusted", members to be courtiers and perform region maintenance work for some amount of time upon joining.

Well that would be an egregious IR violation if a realm did that. If a realm wanted to saddle newbies with grunt work knights can still perform civil and police work.

I'd suggest dialing this one back to at least the 2 week limit.