Author Topic: Lurian Empire  (Read 60216 times)

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Lurian Empire
« Topic Start: August 03, 2011, 02:11:52 PM »
This topic is mostly for those who play in either Pian en Luries or Luria Nova, although anyone is more than welcome to comment.

Us who play there know that there is a third realm in plans (Shinnen), which would then mean that there will be 3 realms that are very closely culturally tied to each other. Those realms would then be allied or federated, and thusly form the Lurian Empire (at least that's how I understood it). I would like to say that at first I was against this idea, but the more I think of it the more I am liking it. So, this post is mostly about trying to explore that idea.

So at first point we would have a set of 3 realms that should work as one. That means we would have 3 different Kings. As every King probably thinks he is the smartest one, the need to pick a King above Kings (in this case: an Emperor) is naturally asked; someone who would be 'in charge' of this set of realms. I am against voting method for this opportunity, and since Lurian culture is proud of its martial skills and boast to be great warriors, the best way (and a very cool way) in my opinion would be to choose the Emperor via tournaments, who would then rule the Empire for a set period of time (say 3 months). Basically, a King would need to choose the best fighter among his nobles,  a champion, who would then fight for his kingdoms right to rule an Empire, on a tournament. Of course, a specifically Lurian tournament would need to be held for this opportunity, which would then need to be organized every 3 months in any of Lurian cities, and I would personally name such an event "Lurian Royal Games", which would eventually become a popular thing.
Can you imagine the list of opportunities a good swordmaster would have in that kind of culture? Every King would push to train one noble of his choice in the academy for the Lurian Royal Games, as investing gold in him would allow him to become an Emperor. Such a swordmaster could truly become a valuable asset for his realm, which in a way opens a completely new position in a realm for simple nobles that are outside of the government (since council members can't tourney; very fitting game mechanic for this situation ;) ). He could then ask a region for his skills, or what not. It would add a lot of depth for courtly intrigues. Having that Path of the Sword guild also fits nicely with this idea. I assume there would be more nobles who would then wanna spend their goldies in the academy, which is more realistic if you ask me. Usually the majority of nobles spend their money on units and stuff, while only infils really train in the academy. I assume that every medieval noble would wanna be a good and renowned fighter in one on one.

In a way, this entire Empire idea is similar to that what SA is. They're a set of realms bonded by religion, why Lurian Empire would be a set of realms bonded by the same culture and a way of thinking. SA realms are communicating via religious message groups, but we don't have that, so the need for the usage of guilds is pretty obvious. Since we already have the "Halls of Luria" guild I find that to be a perfect channel where nobles across Lurian Empire could communicate. In general, if you want a set of realms to work as one, you would need several guilds, which I like cause it adds to the depth of medieval simulation.

Another thought to make Lurian Empire unique is to have every King change his title to "Lurian King". So you would have say, Malus Solari, Lurian King of Pian en Luries, and Amaury Capet, Lurian King of Luria Nova. This would really be just something for realms of the empire to be more distinctive in the white word. Eventually, when a King becomes an Emperor, he could literally change his title to "Emperor", I guess.

I really see this as a great chance to have something greater than just "a good, effective or what not" realm(s); something to make a very different BM experience. A LOT would depend on players and how they would roleplay it out. Since Dwilight is an SMA island I think the idea is even more attractive and ambitious in the same time.

Any feedback or new ideas would be very welcome.
Gregorian (Eponllyn), Baudouin (Cathay), Thaddeus (Cathay), Leopold (Niselur)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Re: Lurian Empire
« Reply #1: August 03, 2011, 02:25:27 PM »
Interesting idea.  I kinda like the concept of picking a temporary leader via tournaments...Bring it up in the Halls of Luria, hm?
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 03, 2011, 02:26:52 PM »
What about tournaments that have a foreign winner? What if there are times when tournaments aren't affordable, or we're in the middle of a war and the champions are abroad?

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 03, 2011, 02:28:32 PM »
Do it on a yearly basis, in the depths of winter, run them really short so no one else can make it and even if someone does, just use the highest Lurian contestant (and duel to resolve ties).
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 03, 2011, 02:39:12 PM »
What about tournaments that have a foreign winner?
Why then you'll just have to subjugate yourselves to a foreign master. We have a multi-tournament-winning swordsman in Astrum. I'm sure he'd love to single-handedly conquer the Lurian Empire in the name of the Bloodstars.  8)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 03, 2011, 02:40:06 PM »
Then we'll just answer with something else that requires only a single hand ;D

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 03, 2011, 02:42:41 PM »
Your signature on the articles of surrender. :P

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 03, 2011, 02:43:24 PM »
Nah, think more... ornithological.

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 03, 2011, 03:03:07 PM »
What about tournaments that have a foreign winner?

Bedwyr's ideas could be used from preventing highly skilled foreign champions from coming...at least, until we get one of ours like that.

What if there are times when tournaments aren't affordable, or we're in the middle of a war and the champions are abroad?

Well, generals wouldn't plan for any campaigns when they would know the Games are on. The tourneys to choose their leader should be something every Lurian noble would hold in high regard. Character role-play over effectiveness, sort of. Some nobles like to drink in pubs :o , we like to tourney. :)

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 03, 2011, 03:15:28 PM »

Some nobles like to drink in pubs :o

::) rolls eyes
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 03, 2011, 03:21:51 PM »

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 03, 2011, 04:17:42 PM »
Why don't you have the King's just duel to the death? :P

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 03, 2011, 04:26:22 PM »
I don't know about duel to the death, but actually requiring the prospective kings to battle it out on their own would be interesting. None of this wimpy "champion" stuff.

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 03, 2011, 04:34:33 PM »
Why sacrifice fun for simplicity?

Besides, if there are only 2 Kings, that might work, but there will be 3 and probably more as time goes one (let's hope so) and eventually it would be hard to make it happen. What if King1 defeats King2, King2 defeats King3 and King3 defeats King1? who wins?  ???

Furthermore, having Kings go directly at each other might be a bit too hostile, which may in the end result in hatred and civil war (and we wanna avoid that).

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: August 03, 2011, 04:41:33 PM »
Well, then you have another round of duels to settle it.