Author Topic: Lurian Empire  (Read 60284 times)

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Lurian Empire
« Reply #15: August 03, 2011, 04:42:55 PM »
 ::)

:D
Gregorian (Eponllyn), Baudouin (Cathay), Thaddeus (Cathay), Leopold (Niselur)

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: August 03, 2011, 05:32:03 PM »
Well, the sissy King can always have a champion duel for him.

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
  • Myrnia (EC) Mattias Cat (BT) Luarin Ariana (DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: August 03, 2011, 06:01:19 PM »
I like the idea of a King of the Kings!

But I can foresee lots of problems while he/she wouldn't be King ingame.
I have no idea how this works for SA, but I see something similar happening at BT with the Golden Feather and think its difficult to have a leader with no effective powers ingame.

Also think it would be a good proposal to have this possibility implemented some day.

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: August 03, 2011, 07:12:25 PM »
This is a really good idea. I like the tournament thing but I especially like the idea of a federation.

It seems like in response to the perceived SA bloc, other blocs are naturally forming. SA in the north, the Lurian Kingdoms to the east and the Maroccidental Republics to the west.

Awesome.

Makes you wonder what all the non aligned kingdoms like Fissoa and Madina will do. Oooo a southern bloc! With Aurvandil! Unlikely but it'd be awesome.
Fyodor, Terran.   Vitaly, Enweil.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: August 03, 2011, 07:13:09 PM »
He /would/ be Lurian King of his own realm, and Lurian Emperor of the Lurian Empire.

I fully support the idea, both IC and OoC. Seems like something that could become grand...
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: August 03, 2011, 07:38:14 PM »
I absolutely love these proposals both from an IC and OOC perspective. Of course this may be helped by the fact that Antonine has spent a great deal of time training at tournament...  ;)

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: August 03, 2011, 07:42:26 PM »
There has been a certain moment of time where me and dustole (player of Allison) planned something vaguely similar for the Morek area: a set of single duchy states all confederate and forming a single bloc spanning Flowrestown, Unterstrom, Donghaiwei, Muspelheim, Aegir and Springdale.

Now, without going deep into the details for how to choose the king of kings, in the end we decided to abort the project because, among other things, such things are a bit of a logistic nightmare. In particular what troubles me the most is that over time the new generations of players may no longer be tied to the common cultural background that ties the realms together, and simply do what they want. You may then go to war, but that's a kind of lame war cause you'd have to start everything from scratch.

In short: getting a 3 realm federation with vague cultural bounds to work together is going to be almost impossible. And if your empire does not work as an empire, all the fun of the project ends there. I'd say you need to work more on the cultural ties rather than on how to select the king of kings if I may give a suggestion.

Besides this, the idea of selecting he emperor with games is pretty cool. Even if to me it sounds like giving a very weak claim to the winner, and the Lurian area would definitely benefit from some reliable stability that will avoid people there killing themselves over and over again precluding any growth of influence outside their tiny region.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 07:45:24 PM by Peri »

Lopeyschools

• Knight
  • Meow Meow Secret Mission Meow
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: August 03, 2011, 08:14:53 PM »
There is a sound medieval precedent in the electors of the Holy Roman Empire(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince-elector). Each realm could elect their electors, then the electors elect the Emperor. The Emperor's position as a game mechanic is tricky though he/she would have to maintain the empire through politics. It seems doable though.

As long as each realm gets an equal representation in Electors, with the tie breaking vote given to the emperor. It should be fair enough.

Kula (Ibladesh), Lucius (Caligan Empire), Graviel (Caerwyn)

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: August 03, 2011, 08:18:41 PM »
In times where a tournament isn't feasible to decide the ruler there could be a vote amongst the Lurian Kings where each one must vote for the next emporer and cannot vote for themselves.

Also, would you want to give ultimate authority to the emporer or rather have him be a first among equals with the other Lurian kings?
Fyodor, Terran.   Vitaly, Enweil.

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: August 03, 2011, 08:23:52 PM »
Perhaps it would be even cooler to also implement a Shogun kind of figure.
Normally there wouldn't be a Shogun, the emperor would have very little power, perhaps even only a very high respect.
But the 'Shogun' would have actual, formal full military and diplomatic power of the entire course of the empire.
A shogun is declared by winning the favor of the emperor and the subjegation of the other kings by war. (like a shogun..)
Offocurse such war would be guided by many strict rules and a firm code of honour.
No looting, no torture, no brutal takeovers and no 'war' without a clear declaration a week ahead.

The emperor would be the binding father figure and a Shogun would probably only emerge if there'd be a possible common enemy to fight, or another oportunity to expand the empire.
Also the Emperor should stay Emperor for a year or half a year atleast i think.
Gives more flavour.

Overall the idea is really awesome, something i wanted to implement as well on Dwilight, it was option B after Madina if I woudn't win the banner contest.

Concerning a southern block, well, that is far from reality as it is now.
Especially Fissoa will have to change drastically in there attitude of ignoring Madinans and both parties would have to work alot to restore the former brotherhood.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: August 03, 2011, 09:34:48 PM »
We're working on cultural unity as well.  Single religion is pretty much dominant in both realms (and will be in the third as well) at the moment, and I'm working on trying to build that up so it actually has a real culture behind it (how villages/cities are organized, what exactly the temples and shrines look like, etc).  Beyond that, we have some interrealm communication going on, and working on Shinnen together should help that.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: August 03, 2011, 10:58:56 PM »
We're working on cultural unity as well.  Single religion is pretty much dominant in both realms (and will be in the third as well) at the moment, and I'm working on trying to build that up so it actually has a real culture behind it (how villages/cities are organized, what exactly the temples and shrines look like, etc).  Beyond that, we have some interrealm communication going on, and working on Shinnen together should help that.

The most important thing would be making sure that people in power keep teaching their underlings how things should be, in order that everyone is well aware of the structure and the uses of the realm. It is pretty easy in bm for two realms that are very closely tied (perhaps a colony and motherland) to separate in time, just because no one takes care to explain what is their history constantly.

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: August 03, 2011, 11:14:24 PM »
The most important thing would be making sure that people in power keep teaching their underlings how things should be, in order that everyone is well aware of the structure and the uses of the realm. It is pretty easy in bm for two realms that are very closely tied (perhaps a colony and motherland) to separate in time, just because no one takes care to explain what is their history constantly.

That is indeed correct, 'tis why I mentioned in my post that the majority of the idea will depend on the players.  I think we will need to hit all our nobles with heavy propaganda about  the Lurian Empire, which means everything from bulletins, wiki pages, newspapers, Kings and mentors. If everyone will really dive into their roles I think this might work well and we manage to create "the Lurian way" and a "Lurian heritage", which will hopefully be passed along to new players.

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: August 03, 2011, 11:22:23 PM »
It seems like in response to the perceived SA bloc, other blocs are naturally forming. SA in the north, the Lurian Kingdoms to the east and the Maroccidental Republics to the west.

You've noticed that rather well. It seems people are realizing that Dwilight is different and that you can't have huge realms controlling everyone just on their own. Now...if we would only have a decent battleground where to clash...that would be /awesome/. D'Hara?  ;D

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: August 04, 2011, 12:03:18 AM »
Furthermore, having Kings go directly at each other might be a bit too hostile, which may in the end result in hatred and civil war (and we wanna avoid that).

Wait what? What's the point of having the sword as highest law in the empire if you can't enjoy it all together in some big open air events every once in a while?  ;)