Author Topic: Dungeons & Dragons Online (DDO)  (Read 6134 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Dungeons & Dragons Online (DDO)
« Topic Start: March 01, 2011, 04:19:04 PM »
After playing LOTRO for a long time, and Champions Online for a shorter, and trying out various MMORPGs such as Mortal Online, Darkfall, etc. my girlfriend and I have currently settled on DDO.

Don't really know why I'm posting this, for some reason people seem to want to know what I'm playing. :-)

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online (DDO)
« Reply #1: March 01, 2011, 05:16:05 PM »
I remember DDO and played it up until a point. The leveling system is pretty interesting but it didn't appeal to me. I've played a few MMORPGs, but their aren't exactly my thing. I think the one I liked the most was Perfect World International and even then I only got to level 30 and then quit. Same with WoW at level 40.

But I heard they did some updates since I played it (big ones) a year or so ago. Why'd you pick it over all others, Tom?

Oh yeah, and I used to play the actual paper-and-dice D&D, so I've already had my fair share of the game for years before this :P
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #2: March 01, 2011, 07:55:04 PM »
But I heard they did some updates since I played it (big ones) a year or so ago. Why'd you pick it over all others, Tom?

It's acceptably well done and fun, which puts it on par with a selection of other games, but the F2P/Shop/VIP combo means that it satisfies our needs best. We have times of playing intensely, where we don't mind paying a monthly fee because we easily get it out in fun. But we have other periods where we don't play much, and most games offer either no option or a full pause. With DDO we can switch to F2P and continue playing on a less active level (once a week or only every few weeks). Then, when we have more time again, switch back to VIP, or if it's a short period, buy an adventure pack and play that through.

The second deciding factor is that we like the pace. We're not much into PvP (though LOTROs was a lot of fun and very well done) and we prefer a slightly slower pace, e.g. during combat I don't want to hammer on keys, I prefer having a few seconds to think things through.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 03, 2011, 12:29:34 AM »
Champions online has moved to a similar F2P model. However you are limited to pre-designed characters unless you are paying the monthly fee, and really the strength of the game for me was the ability to mix and match powers to create my hero.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Noble family

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 03, 2011, 07:50:26 AM »
DDO... interesting.  I've been playing LOTRO for about 3 years now and I keep hopping over to DDO once in a while but can't seem to get settled in with it.  What pulled you both away from LOTRO and over to DDO?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #5: March 03, 2011, 08:04:50 AM »
Well, pulling away isn't the right word. We got a bit bored somewhere in Moria and stopped playing, and when we thought "why not continue", so much time had passed that our accounts were gone. And we really, really didn't feel like doing the whole level 1 to level 60 thing again.

Noble family

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 03, 2011, 09:13:56 AM »
Well, pulling away isn't the right word. We got a bit bored somewhere in Moria and stopped playing, and when we thought "why not continue", so much time had passed that our accounts were gone. And we really, really didn't feel like doing the whole level 1 to level 60 thing again.

Yeah I can see that feeling like a long mountain to climb.  They've made quite a few changes since Moria so if you and the lady want to get back into the swing of things in LOTRO let me know, I've been playing on Vilya server since the Shadows of Angmar beta and have in a good kinship that's been running strong for three years now.

Its been about a year since I put any real time into DDO so I'm out of the loop on it (kind of felt the same about leveling) so if you have some tips feel free to share =)