Author Topic: Behavior of Marked Messages  (Read 4736 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Behavior of Marked Messages
« Topic Start: August 03, 2011, 05:27:24 PM »
With the current implementation of marked messages, they always appear in your message list whenever you review your messages. Even when you specifically select to see New messages, or when you select to Play a character from your family page, any marked messages will appear in the list of messages you are given, regardless of how old these marked messages are. This is very annoying. I don't want to always keep seeing these marked messages every time I read my messages. If I want to see them, I can set the filter to "All Marked". I really dislike constantly having these marked messages shoved at me.

I would really like to see this behavior changed to only show me marked messaged if I specifically choose to see them.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Behavior of Marked Messages
« Reply #1: August 03, 2011, 05:54:21 PM »
Would it be acceptable if marked messages appear when you click Play, if there are no unread messages?

Personally, I only mark something if I seriously need to not forget about it, and then I need all the reinforcement I can get on just what it is.  So changing it so you have to jump through hoops to get to your marked messages is not in the least appealing to me.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 03, 2011, 06:08:10 PM »
Personally, I don't want to see them at all unless I specifically select to see them. The game is already telling me in a couple places that I have them, so I'm not likely to forget them. But that doesn't mean I want them to keep being pushed at me.

However, if that can't be done, then I suppose only getting them on Play when you have no new messages would be an acceptable alternative, but still annoying.

Makes me wonder how many other ways people use marked messages, and how they expect them to behave...

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 03, 2011, 06:10:28 PM »
Hm.

What if there were configurable preferences for marked message behaviour?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 03, 2011, 06:26:59 PM »
I agree on then being made into an option. I LOVE having my marked messages pop up in my face all the time, that's what makes the feature so great for me.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 03, 2011, 06:43:55 PM »
I'm with Telrunya, it really helps me remember them.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 03, 2011, 08:43:45 PM »
why not just have another "mailbox" that's basically archived messages?
firefox

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 03, 2011, 11:02:57 PM »
I think they should behave differently whether there are new messages or not. In particular, I find annoying that when I leave my family page open in the browser for a while and then click play for one char (without first refreshing the family page), I would have to scroll till the end of the marked messages to see whether there are news or not, given that it's nowhere else reported (I think).

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 04, 2011, 01:17:18 AM »
Personally, I don't want to see them at all unless I specifically select to see them. The game is already telling me in a couple places that I have them, so I'm not likely to forget them. But that doesn't mean I want them to keep being pushed at me.

However, if that can't be done, then I suppose only getting them on Play when you have no new messages would be an acceptable alternative, but still annoying.

Makes me wonder how many other ways people use marked messages, and how they expect them to behave...

Same. I'd like for them to show only when I call upon them. I otherwise always have to scroll down a good number of messages with a few of my characters every time I get a message, and it's bothersome.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

cjnodell

« Reply #9: August 04, 2011, 03:22:33 PM »
I use marked messages as a task list. They represent things I need to take care of. As such I always keep the number of marked messages low and I defiantly prefer to have them in my face as much as possible. Based on the feedback so far I think Anaris' suggestion of letting the player choose which route to take would be ideal. I know I would dislike having to go digging for my marked messages just as much as others dislike having them in their face all the time.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 04, 2011, 05:56:56 PM »
The only thing my proposed change would do is make it so that you don't always get them, every time you view your message. You'd only get them when you elect to see them. Once you're actually playing the character, this is never more than two clicks away. Which is, at the absolute most, one more click than it takes to get them now. I really don't get how you'd define two clicks as "having to go digging", when you'd have to expend one of those clicks anyway.

If it is possible to do it via an option, then that sounds excellent. I'm always in favor of more ways for people to personalize the interface to work better for their preferred play style.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 05, 2011, 12:07:04 AM »
The only thing my proposed change would do is make it so that you don't always get them, every time you view your message. You'd only get them when you elect to see them. Once you're actually playing the character, this is never more than two clicks away. Which is, at the absolute most, one more click than it takes to get them now. I really don't get how you'd define two clicks as "having to go digging", when you'd have to expend one of those clicks anyway.

If it is possible to do it via an option, then that sounds excellent. I'm always in favor of more ways for people to personalize the interface to work better for their preferred play style.

Again, I am of the same opinion as Indirik, and also fail to see how the requested change would make anyone dig through old messages. There's a button one can click to display marked messages.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

cjnodell

« Reply #12: August 06, 2011, 07:08:41 AM »
I guess that "digging" was a bit of an exaggeration. Simply put, I like having that marked message show up like it does as it jogs my memory. For me it is easier to have my "task list" pop up in from to me every time I log in than me having to remember to go check it. What can I say, I am lazy!

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 06, 2011, 05:52:14 PM »
I guess that "digging" was a bit of an exaggeration. Simply put, I like having that marked message show up like it does as it jogs my memory. For me it is easier to have my "task list" pop up in from to me every time I log in than me having to remember to go check it. What can I say, I am lazy!

I'm lazy too, which is why I'd rather not have to scroll down 10 messages to read every new one all the time when some of my characters have many messages they want kept around for reference.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: August 06, 2011, 08:05:44 PM »
So make an option to choose. Problem solved.