Author Topic: SpellMaster Revival  (Read 10347 times)

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
SpellMaster Revival
« Topic Start: August 03, 2011, 10:42:44 PM »
Who would be interested in reviving SpellMaster, but only on the southern Isle.  A basic plot outline would have Tempus and three of the Guilds invading after (Ikalak?) won the war having come from the Dragon Island.  Each guild would take up residence in one of the cities.  The conquered people's would revolt and kill all the Mages and SpellMasters (the two oldest higher ranks), and the apprentices and wizards will have escaped to the Stronghold where Tempus kept the masses at bay.  After a few centuries the Guilds are now looking to re-dominate the island, the Lords of the various realms now looking for every advantage to conquer their neighbors.

Just as a rough idea of course.

Morningstar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: SpellMaster Revival
« Reply #1: August 03, 2011, 10:51:59 PM »
Brilliant, Loren.  Did you happen to be reading this or were we both just thinking on identical wavelengths this week?

Zane

• Knight
  • Ignore that sociopathic stuff. We're quite nice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 03, 2011, 11:13:48 PM »
Sounds interesting.  Since I never actually played SM, I should probably read up a bit on the backstory. :-)

Regardless, I'm game.  I don't have a ton of time, but I can find time to post most days.

-Greg

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 03, 2011, 11:23:17 PM »
Hello again, 2002.  You have my attention.

Morningstar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 03, 2011, 11:25:51 PM »
Does anyone happen to know why everything related to SpellMaster got pulled down? We used to have a decent bit going on here on the wiki, and all the old sites were accessible.  Now the links are dead and there's only one generic SM page.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 04, 2011, 12:45:33 AM »
It sounds like a fun idea.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Zakilevo

« Reply #6: August 04, 2011, 12:53:24 AM »
SpellMaster? Is it just like BM or a bit different?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 04, 2011, 01:06:14 AM »
SpellMaster was pretty much a pure-RP game.

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/SpellMaster
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 04, 2011, 02:18:21 AM »
Brilliant, Loren.  Did you happen to be reading this or were we both just thinking on identical wavelengths this week?

Yes, and no.  Tom had posted something on g+ and I mentioned SM there...

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 04, 2011, 02:23:37 AM »
Sounds interesting.  Since I never actually played SM, I should probably read up a bit on the backstory. :-)

Regardless, I'm game.  I don't have a ton of time, but I can find time to post most days.

-Greg

It'll be hard without the old websites... there were six councils.  Mage's Guild, House of Chaos, Adventurers, The Underworld, Nature's People(?), and a sixth who was a very late addition I can't recall.  About the time the first PC made it to SpellMaster (Zasod) Tom's GM/SpellMaster character hatched his plot to use Dragons to takeover the world.  There used to be certamen(sp) that were ritualized duels that used some backend scripts to run spells that characters had accumulated.

SM2 wasn't as much fun for me, but it existed and introduced Tempus who had survived the original purges of the mundanes against the spellcasters councils.  In theory the Dragon isle wasn't ever mentioned(?) so it could have served as an outpost of magical training during the SM2 timeline.  We could in theory pickup from where SM2 left off in that respect.  Tempus is Tom's character though, so... maybe we can invent another old SpellMaster who survived.

Zane

• Knight
  • Ignore that sociopathic stuff. We're quite nice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 04, 2011, 02:29:34 AM »
I used to see all sorts of oblique references to SM events about Jago and Dethargos in Outer Tilog and wondered what sort of mischief they were up to. :-) 

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 04, 2011, 03:00:43 AM »
Ahh that was the name of Ben's character I couldn't recall it the other day.  James is still around, he probably could tell you more about Jago, it was his character after all.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 04, 2011, 03:58:28 AM »
SpellMasters to remove BT's blight...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Morningstar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 04, 2011, 04:07:56 AM »
It'll be hard without the old websites... there were six councils.  Mage's Guild, House of Chaos, Adventurers, The Underworld, Nature's People(?), and a sixth who was a very late addition I can't recall.

Barbaric/Barbarians?

Also, I think I have any of the failed startup discussions from the RP list a few years ago when we tried again, as well as any of the RP done with those characters.  If anyone wants any of that.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #14: August 04, 2011, 08:47:07 PM »
Very intriguing. Before you start anything, talk to me. And yes, I call dibs on Tempus. :-)