Author Topic: Dungeons and Dragons  (Read 13847 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #15: March 05, 2011, 07:49:14 PM »
By the way, this is exactly how Fantasy Grounds 2 and MapTool work (two popular tools for dnd-over-the-net).

I've tried MapTool, and been deeply unimpressed.

I don't recall all the details at this point, but it seemed incredibly cumbersome to get to work, and was a bit clunky in the interface.

A quick glance at Fantasy Grounds 2's website indicates that it's Windows-only—which isn't necessarily a showstopper, since Wine works very well these days, and I do have VMs, but it's a definite minus. 

What is a showstopper is that it costs money.  I'd be willing to at least consider shelling out some for a tool that would let me host for anyone, but so far as I can tell, you need to at least buy a $25 "lite" license to be able to even play as a regular player.

Rolling my own will take longer, and not give such a comprehensive featureset as something like FG2, but it will be free for everyone, and accessible through a web browser.  And heck, if I open-source it once it's in usable condition, maybe enough geeks will like it that it can gain some of those other features.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan