Author Topic: Relaunch ?  (Read 14307 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Relaunch ?
« Topic Start: August 05, 2011, 01:07:33 AM »
It has been suggested that we should try again to relaunch SpellMaster.

Well, if the interest is there, then why not?  :)

squishymaster

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Relaunch ?
« Reply #1: August 05, 2011, 01:19:15 AM »
Spellmaster says what?

Zakilevo

« Reply #2: August 05, 2011, 02:15:39 AM »
I never played SM but from reading what people are saying about it, it sounds awesome :)

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 05, 2011, 03:01:56 AM »
It has been suggested that we should try again to relaunch SpellMaster.

Well, if the interest is there, then why not?  :)

Obviously I'm interested, I brought it up =D

I've been thinking more about the backstory, it would be interesting if the council stones re-discovered during SM2 timeline.  Two getting destroyed in the conflicts, and the last one being used to shield the Dragon Isle by erasing it from the memory of the world. Etc. etc.  We should schedule a chat.  But not this weekend, too much to do.

Morningstar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 05, 2011, 05:36:10 AM »
Here's maybe a fairly important thing to nail down early.  Should we dredge up some of the old content from (at least) the initial SM and maybe the first SM2 concept so that people coming in brand new to the concept can get a feel for the world and the backstory?  Or do we let those who have knowledge of the past be the historians, of sort, and make it more realistic, where most of the new players have scattered and limited understanding of what's taken place in the past?

I can see great reasoning, both Meta and IC, for doing either one.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 05, 2011, 05:39:18 AM »
The other option would be to launch a new game similar to SM, but separate to the previous world. I know myself that as someone that wasn't involved in SM, I would much prefer to join a whole new imagining of it.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #6: August 05, 2011, 07:29:57 AM »
Someone explain to me what Spellmaster was, first. I have no clue what it was in the first place.

squishymaster

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 05, 2011, 11:53:07 AM »
I agree Gustav which is why I posted the what the hell is this comment.  But apparently they don't want others knowing what is so we can let them play by themselves.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 05, 2011, 12:30:41 PM »
Spellmaster was a pure RP PBeM game, and the precursor to BattleMaster. There is some information on the wiki on the SpellMaster page.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #9: August 05, 2011, 01:26:28 PM »
I'll simply set a few things in stone now:

• SM3 will be a new world, an alternate reality to BattleMaster - this solves the problem of SM characters being awfully powerful in the BM context, but it leaves us the opportunity to allow for some limited interaction between the two worlds.
  • SM3 will continue the SM2 storyline, but much later. It will be a new universe to discover, but the events of SM and SM2 are part of its history. Yes, that includes the parts of SM2 that were never played - there is stuff to discover here.
I will create some game-mechanics, but very lightly so. It will be a role-playing game with some role-playing rules.

I'm still thinking about the magic system, but for the "big picture" yes, there will be "council stones" again. A council needs to have a stone. If people want to form a new council, they will have to quest for a stone.

I'm thinking about giving the game two layers. One in which the characters compete for whatever they want to compete for, and one in which the councils compete for dominance over... something...

Give me a few more bursts of creativity and I'll have a concept. Until then - find us players. And GameMasters. I can't run this game as a solo GameMaster, we will need a few volunteers.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #10: August 05, 2011, 01:42:49 PM »
so everyone can read up, I have revived the two sites:

http://lemuria.org/SpellMaster/
http://lemuria.org/SM2/

There is also a wiki from SM2 that I will try to get running again.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 01:48:02 PM by Tom »

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 05, 2011, 02:04:46 PM »
I might be interested in playing, but it seems I'll need some time to read about it first.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 05, 2011, 04:24:39 PM »
I'm up for being a regular player.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 05, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
Sounds like fun to me!
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Morningstar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: August 05, 2011, 05:54:17 PM »
I agree Gustav which is why I posted the what the hell is this comment.  But apparently they don't want others knowing what is so we can let them play by themselves.

No need to get snippy. I had no idea what "spellmaster says what" was supposed to mean, so didn't dignify it with a response.