Author Topic: Fame: points in the beginning of a family?  (Read 17183 times)

Jens Namtrah

Re: Fame: points in the beginning of a family?
« Reply #30: August 10, 2011, 09:20:48 AM »
The loss of fame is not, strictly speaking, a bug.  To understand this, let me explain a little about how gaining fame works:

Each fame "event" has a certain number of points associated with it.  When you achieve any particular such "event", the game records that you got it, and adds the number of points to your fame total.

Then, any later time that you get achieve that same event, the game checks, sees that you already have it, and doesn't give you anything.

Sometimes, though, due to one bug or other, the game adds extra points to your fame total.  If this happens, the fame cleanup script (which runs either at the turn or around 10AM server time, depending on which set of scripts it belongs to—I don't recall offhand) will fix it when it goes through all your recorded fame "events", and adds up the points associated with them.  If it gets a number that's different from your current fame total, it will replace your fame total with the number it got.

I hope that makes sense.

Is that script run daily?

I was at 12 points for a very long time, just got a 13th which I maintained for a week or so - then suddenly dropped to 9.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: August 10, 2011, 02:50:50 PM »

Is that script run daily?

I was at 12 points for a very long time, just got a 13th which I maintained for a week or so - then suddenly dropped to 9.

It is—but judging from the number of people who autopaused and were autoremoved in the past couple of days, I think something must have been broken in it for at least a couple of weeks.

The odd thing is, we didn't change anything in the cleanup script at that time.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #32: August 11, 2011, 12:33:27 AM »
It is—but judging from the number of people who autopaused and were autoremoved in the past couple of days, I think something must have been broken in it for at least a couple of weeks.

The odd thing is, we didn't change anything in the cleanup script at that time.

yeah, i noticed that big autopause cleanup as well. also always felt like I had more fame than I could account for, so probably has just fixed something old.

no problem, just thought I'd mention.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: August 23, 2011, 04:40:47 AM »
Well, there's plenty of unknown fame left. For my part, I have 4-5 points that I am not sure about. Some of them I assume are points for high skills, but whereas the criteria fro those are not known with certainty, I cannot say if there might be one or two unknown fame points in there.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: August 23, 2011, 05:13:17 AM »
LemonTree was one of Vincent van Eylen's characters (VinnieTheDark was his IRC nick, and one of his most prominent characters was Vinnie, in Darka; I don't recall where LemonTree was based).  He started that page way back in the day—on the TikiWiki, as I recall—and it eventually became the go-to place for fame theories.  And remains so even today, long after Vinnie left the game and most people don't remember or never knew him.

Thalmarkin, founded the short-lived Lemundia.

I didn't know he was gone... How long ago did he quit?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: August 23, 2011, 12:52:12 PM »
Thalmarkin, founded the short-lived Lemundia.

I didn't know he was gone... How long ago did he quit?

He quit when he started  university, which is... 4 years ago?
Ardet nec consumitur.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: August 23, 2011, 04:08:40 PM »
He quit when he started  university, which is... 4 years ago?

2007-07-20      LouisJoseph      Joined the realm of Lemundia

Holy crap, it has been some time since...

I started playing... six years ago? Scary!  :o
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

psymann

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: September 21, 2011, 04:16:03 PM »
I've just gained 2 mysterious fame points as well, also for a new family.

New account... and now I've got my first 5 fame points all in one day. Particularly unhelpful for me to try to work out what they were for. I have three characters (two warriors and one adventurer) who did the following:

Between Sunrise and Sunset:
 Mardel - Took part on the winning side of an attacking battle to end a takeover attempt, though retreated from the battlefield in the process. 10507 vs 8763 CS.
 Mardel - Gained 2 Honour and 2 Prestige from above battle
 Mardel - Increased to 10 Prestige overall as result of above (1)
 All Chars - Increased to 20 Prestige overall as result of above (1)
 Despite these happening between sunrise and sunset, the fame points did not appear at sunset. Fame was still at 0 after sunset where I was expecting it to be 2.

Between Sunset and Sunrise:
 Parve - Bought adventurer gear taking from 31% to 33%
 Parve - Wounded by an alpha monster for the second time in the same region in consecutive days
 Orlen - Bought from 35-50, then from 50-52 (max possible for his honour) mixed infantry troops
 Orlen - Won an election for a lordship (10 votes for, 0 abstentions, 9 not cast)
 Orlen - Became Lord as result of above election (1)
 Orlen - Added to a realm's message group

So I was expecting to get three fame points for all that happening together, though oddly they all appeared at sunrise, not sunset, so I guess fame is only credited at sunrise each day. One for 10 Prestige for Mardel. One for 20 Prestige for them all put together. And one for Orlen becoming a Lord. But yet I got 5 fame points, so what were the other two for?

Could it be for participating in that big battle (the first really big battle he's been in, and certainly the first really big battle he's been in and helped win)? Seems one of the most likely.
 Could it be for the adventurer getting more adventurer gear? Seems unlikely.
 Could it be for the adventurer getting wounded by the monster? Seems also unlikely.
 Could it be for winning an election? Such that winning a Lordship election gave two fame points, one for the lordship, and one for the election win? Possible, perhaps.
 Could it be for recruiting over 50 troops for the first time? Possible, perhaps.
 Somehow I need two fame points out of all that lot, and my bets are on winning the big battle, and getting the 50 troops, but who knows :-S

---

The two common ones I could spot with Danlawyer was the recruitment of 50 troops, and the acquisition of a first fame point (though that latter one sounds like a fairly unlikely one to give fame for getting fame!), though having said that, Dan said all his mysterious fame then diappeared again the following day, so I guess I keep an eye out tomorrow and see if it drops back to 3.

psymann

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: September 21, 2011, 08:23:18 PM »
I also have 2 points that I am unsure where they came from, but have two theories:

1 from Family Prestige of 20 (but I would have to count the Prestige of an Adventurer) + 1 from Unique Item (but I would have to count a Scroll as a Unique Item).

or

2 from New Guild/Religion (but I already got the 3 points from becoming a Prophet before).

Any thoughts on what is more likely? I tend to go with the first theory.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: September 21, 2011, 08:47:51 PM »
The "Prophet" fame (3 pts) is for being the founder of a "successful" religion. The meaning of "successful" is not yet known.

The "founding a guild/religion" fame (2 pts) is separate from that. All you have to do to get that is found a guild or religion. You only get this point once, though, for either the guild or the religion, whichever you do first.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 08:50:35 PM by Indirik »
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: September 21, 2011, 10:54:29 PM »
Oh, that means I have to recalculate things. Thanks.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

psymann

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: September 22, 2011, 01:51:22 PM »
I also have 2 points that I am unsure where they came from, but have two theories:

1 from Family Prestige of 20 (but I would have to count the Prestige of an Adventurer) + 1 from Unique Item (but I would have to count a Scroll as a Unique Item).

That seems fairly reasonable.

Certainly Family Prestige of 20 does include adventurers - I've got that fame point on both my accounts at a time when I needed the adventurer's prestige to make up the numbers.

No idea about the Scroll, but I guess that makes it quite likely that Scrolls do count as Unique Items.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: September 22, 2011, 03:56:27 PM »
That seems fairly reasonable.

Certainly Family Prestige of 20 does include adventurers - I've got that fame point on both my accounts at a time when I needed the adventurer's prestige to make up the numbers.

No idea about the Scroll, but I guess that makes it quite likely that Scrolls do count as Unique Items.

Thanks. Now I have only one unknown FP.

psymann

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: September 28, 2011, 10:25:05 AM »
And now, my adventurer has found a unique item, but I've got no extra fame for it, even though that's supposedly meant to be a known fame point.  Is there some way to get a unique item fame point without actually finding a unique item? :-/  Or should I just be taking all this to the bugtracker?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: September 28, 2011, 02:12:01 PM »
Or perhaps the fame point doesn't apply to adventurers? Think about t for a second. Adventurers are commoners, not noble. What truly noble family would acknowledge that their family tree contained commoners? Wouldn't that be a logical impossibility? What could a commoner do that could possibly bring fame to a noble family, when that family vehemently denies any such connection exists?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.