Author Topic: Ambassador title hidden for rulers  (Read 3773 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Ambassador title hidden for rulers
« Topic Start: August 05, 2011, 01:20:31 PM »
It's kinda pointless to mention that a ruler is also an ambassador.

"Guillaume Chénier
Ruler of Imperskoe Viys'ko iz Fheuv'na, Duke of Iato, Ambassador of Imperskoe Viys'ko iz Fheuv'na"

I'm pompous, but that *that* pompous. ;)

At worse, have it put as "Ruler and Ambassador of".
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Ambassador title hidden for rulers
« Reply #1: August 05, 2011, 02:35:08 PM »
Being ruler and ambassador kinda beats the point of "ambassador". I mean, an ambassador represents his ruler. A ruler represents himself. So just don't be an ambassador, because... well, it's kinda ridiculous to represent yourself.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 05, 2011, 03:47:22 PM »
Yes, but diplomat is a good choice for a Ruler because it allows them the full array of treaty actions, not to mention the region-convincing actions if you're doing region maintenance.  And if you're a diplomat Ruler, you really should make yourself an Ambassador so your diplo work is more effective.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 05, 2011, 05:17:02 PM »
Isn't the entire point needing an ambassador to make treaties, i.e. the King appointing someone to do so for him (and thus enabling yet another player to have a position)? I understand that for efficiency it's a good thing, but I find it poor roleplay.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 05, 2011, 05:30:07 PM »
I usually do appoint other Ambassadors for certain negotiations.  But not having the ability to look at the treaties myself makes me twitchy, and the Orating abilities mesh nicely with the character.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 05, 2011, 11:29:37 PM »
That's beside the point.

Doubling the title in the signature is useless.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #6: August 05, 2011, 11:58:53 PM »
Is there a reason why simple diplomat isn't enough and it has to be ambassador?

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 06, 2011, 01:07:29 AM »
Diplomatic actions (raising/lowering loyalty/sympathy) are more effective if you are an Ambassador.  Though why being an Ambassador helps more than being King does I don't know (well, I do, because no one wanted to code for that case, but IC I don't know).

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 06, 2011, 01:41:36 AM »
Diplomatic actions (raising/lowering loyalty/sympathy) are more effective if you are an Ambassador.  Though why being an Ambassador helps more than being King does I don't know (well, I do, because no one wanted to code for that case, but IC I don't know).

Not so much "didn't want to" as "didn't think of."

Being Ruler should, indeed, lend at least as much weight to your diplomatic actions as being Ambassador.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 06, 2011, 01:51:07 AM »
(curses as he once again fails to keep Tim working on estates)

:D

Still, that would be a nice change.  Having Ruler lend more weight than Ambassador would make a lot of IC sense, and would get rid of all those superfluous titles in one fell swoop.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 06, 2011, 03:21:35 AM »
Indeed.

As long as I keep my diplomat actions at ambassador efficiency (or better), without the ridiculously long signature, I'll be a happy man.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 06, 2011, 06:58:35 PM »
I also agree with Delvin.
Ardet nec consumitur.