Author Topic: So I was bored at work today...  (Read 2539 times)

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: So I was bored at work today...
« Topic Start: August 07, 2011, 01:34:11 AM »
I can't say I found that particularly inspiring, but mainly because I just kept drawing comparisons with things we already have in the UK. London has a lot of laws delegated to it and has it's own "London Assembly" which is responsible for city-wide administration. Milton Keynes was built from the ground up to be a city (only reached township). Neither of those places have ever struck me as being awesome.

The only problem I see with them is that you have to bring with you things like art/education, etc. It's all well and good saying "build it and they will come", but what if they don't? What if you just get a city with a lot of shops, but no decent school system? Or a decent transport network, but nowhere to go with it? I'm fairly certain that if the UK built another Milton Keynes and gave it its own laws you wouldn't see the financial sector running there to generate wealth for the area, they're already well established in London.

It's a grand idea, but something that could never work in practice because of how the modern world has evolved.

Can't say I thought about Colony Takeovers much though :P