Author Topic: Where in the world should I WWOOF?  (Read 4933 times)

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
Where in the world should I WWOOF?
« Topic Start: August 10, 2011, 10:46:51 PM »
Willing Workers on Organic Farms, no I will not be traveling around and woof like a dog.

So next semester I shall be traveling somewhere not-in-North-America to work on a farm or lodge in exchange for room and board, sometimes a little money, too. Currently I have my eyes set on New Zealand, but I am open for all ideas. Please do include why you think I should work in that country :)
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
Re: Where in the world should I WWOOF?
« Reply #1: August 10, 2011, 11:17:37 PM »
Belgium is expecting great fruit harvests, and pickers are needed :P Though the season will be over by the time you'd get here?

What about couchsurfing?

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 10, 2011, 11:37:15 PM »
Belgium is expecting great fruit harvests, and pickers are needed :P Though the season will be over by the time you'd get here?

What about couchsurfing?

Most likely - I set out at the end of September. I'm doing the program to partly travel and partly to figure out what I want to study in college. Have no idea at the moment, so I thought a different culture and lifetime experience might open some new doors
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 11, 2011, 02:26:17 AM »
Most likely - I set out at the end of September. I'm doing the program to partly travel and partly to figure out what I want to study in college. Have no idea at the moment, so I thought a different culture and lifetime experience might open some new doors

New Zealand culture is not going to be radically different from North-America, I mean there are some aspects culture from the Māori, but a lot of the day to day stuff is pretty similar to most western, USA TV dominated countries
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 11, 2011, 08:27:55 AM »
Afrika, Asia or Eastern Europe. That will yield you real experience :) and then I'm not talking Cairo :P
Also, it would be smarter to work for a few days where you live, and then you go to a low-cost country. Albania for instance.
Preferably a country with a language you don't understand, I have experienced that's often more fun.

And consider hitchhiking.

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 13, 2011, 10:51:41 AM »
Afrika, Asia or Eastern Europe. That will yield you real experience :) and then I'm not talking Cairo :P
Also, it would be smarter to work for a few days where you live, and then you go to a low-cost country. Albania for instance.
Preferably a country with a language you don't understand, I have experienced that's often more fun.

And consider hitchhiking.

Whats wrong with cairo ? i know its dirty and stinky but it sure gives an experience.

Some food for thought, I am real fan of India for the massive amount of posibilities on all terains, diversity, and super low costs.
India is, like many other 2nd and 3th world countries 'diferently' organzied then your used to.
Ussually your chances are much higher to find an awesome project to work on when your there, not from here.
India is also a perfect travel country, so perhaps first travel and discover and then work, your chances will dramatically increase.
(i'd advise that for most countries)
Spend about 6 months there now all together mostly on the move and i am happy to help you out.
I can also help you advise on europe, egypt, nepal and south africa and a little thailand(so much people here go there).

PS anyone that has some info on traveling and volunteering/working in Uruguay?
Are there many opportunities to work/volunteer and is uruguay really that cheap?(possible within 20/25 USD per day budget excl ticket?)
I am thinking of going there this winter.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: September 14, 2011, 12:02:21 AM »
Poland has a lot of options. I wish the other eastern european countries would too, but sadly they don't.

But Poland does.

Did I mention Poland?  8)
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 14, 2011, 07:58:27 AM »
Poland has a lot of options. I wish the other eastern european countries would too, but sadly they don't.

But Poland does.

Did I mention Poland?  8)

what's so great about poland? there is nothing there.
Few friends been there, never heard a good word about it.
There many much more intresting nations close by, like the czech republic(prague) and down the balkan.
Or tjernobyl for that mather, but not poland...

Offcourse it depends on what one likes, but poland...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 08:01:41 AM by Nosferatus »

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: September 14, 2011, 11:31:06 AM »
There many much more intresting nations close by, like the czech republic(prague) and down the balkan.

I've only heard good things about Poland :P Great hitchhiking, friendly people and lots of booze :)

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 14, 2011, 12:59:53 PM »
I've only heard good things about Poland :P Great hitchhiking....

What, they don't slaughterer hitchhikers and dump there body down the road somewhere?
Wow i got to go there...

apart from cheap booze and hitchhike possibilities (which are everywhere except countries like holland where we think its weird for some reason...), i've not heard much good from it.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: September 14, 2011, 06:26:21 PM »

Are you talking about WWOOF? Because while Czech Republic looks awesome, there were far less options there than Poland when I checked.

Also, I disagree about Poland. I've heard a lot of good things about it. Yes, Czech Republic is next door, but why not do both?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: September 14, 2011, 06:49:46 PM »
Yes, Czech Republic is next door, but why not do both?

good point.
Get booze in poland and drink it with my friend in prague!