Author Topic: Simplification of Travel  (Read 9504 times)

Igelfeld

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Simplification of Travel
« Topic Start: August 08, 2011, 01:07:08 AM »
I don't know about you all, but I think one of the reasons we are having trouble with retention is that the game is sometimes overly complex and thereby time consuming. So i think we should start requesting features that make the game easier, not more complicated.

My suggestion is actually quite simple. instead of only allowing two regions to be set for travel, allow for as many as the player would like. If we made it so that a player could travel long distances without continually having to pull up the map to see where to go next it would make the game just a little simpler.
Moritz Von Igelfeld - King of Asylon
Moria Von Igelfeld - Viscountess of Lanston
Ulrich Von Igelfeld - Knight of Remton, Dark Isle Colonist

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Re: Simplification of Travel
« Reply #1: August 08, 2011, 01:56:06 AM »
You can already use the route finder to see each region to you need to go to to get from point A to point B the fastest.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 08, 2011, 11:26:30 AM »
That's not the point. The main difference would be the ability to set up a week-long trip and then have the travelling go on without logging in between.

I personally would love to see that feature implemented; I understand however that it may lower the activity level, in the same way that a "In case I don't click anything, automatically hold court/train/study at the academy" button would.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 08, 2011, 12:38:51 PM »
That's not the point. The main difference would be the ability to set up a week-long trip and then have the travelling go on without logging in between.

I personally would love to see that feature implemented; I understand however that it may lower the activity level, in the same way that a "In case I don't click anything, automatically hold court/train/study at the academy" button would.

I'd rather see a "tag along with" button instead, where a knight can choose to follow his Liege's trails  automatically. Or his marshal(?), King(?), Duke(?), ...

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 08, 2011, 12:43:45 PM »
hello multi.
firefox

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 08, 2011, 12:44:05 PM »
I'd rather see a "tag along with" button instead, where a knight can choose to follow his Liege's trails  automatically. Or his marshal(?), King(?), Duke(?), ...

Army (~marshal). It would make so much sense for new players, and reduce the amount of "Whoops" or "What? How? PANIC!".
Ardet nec consumitur.

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 08, 2011, 12:49:25 PM »
Yea nice....then only thing new people have to do is recruit and pay their unit. I'm sure that will interest most....

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 08, 2011, 01:00:11 PM »
It doesn't have to be a forced mechanic, but rather a choice (in the beginning), telling them that it might be easier to do this for a while. If it were enabled for all players... movement rates would go through the roof! Might that not actually make it interesting for some less active players? Not logging in but still moving with the army?
Ardet nec consumitur.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 08, 2011, 01:04:23 PM »

This has been described by Tom as specifically undesirable behaviour in the past.

We do not want BattleMaster to have "more players" who aren't even as active as the drones we have now.  We don't want the game to be full of people who never actually pay attention to anything but an order once a week.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 08, 2011, 01:30:52 PM »
This has been described by Tom as specifically undesirable behaviour in the past.

We do not want BattleMaster to have "more players" who aren't even as active as the drones we have now.  We don't want the game to be full of people who never actually pay attention to anything but an order once a week.

I understand.

My use of it would be that, in the occasion where I know I can't log for two or three days straight, I can still use this time. But it's hard to balance.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 08, 2011, 01:32:01 PM »
It doesn't have to be a forced mechanic, but rather a choice (in the beginning), telling them that it might be easier to do this for a while. If it were enabled for all players... movement rates would go through the roof! Might that not actually make it interesting for some less active players? Not logging in but still moving with the army?

I cannot imagine a single marshal would not set his orders to "Automatically follow your army, always. You'll get fined if you don't."

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 08, 2011, 02:41:06 PM »
I can see how it's undesirable to have units follow armies automatically, but what about following your Liege? It would strengthen the bond between Liege and Knight, and give more meaning to offering oaths. And it could be limited to "until next encounter" or something.

And the argument that players will only be able to recruit units if they won't travel is too easy. As if it's that much fun to push the "travel to" button. If I as a new player had had the choice, I'd rather follow someone and learn in their tracks then screwing up after the first movement order.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 09, 2011, 04:57:04 AM »
...as the drones we have now.

I don't really understand why players like this even play the game. Is it really that enjoyable to just click a few buttons every now and then, but never actually get involved in the realm?

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 09, 2011, 06:18:05 AM »
Sometimes it's a relief to have characters you don't need to spend as much time on.  I know a lot of "drone" characters are the third or fourth characters of people who have highly involved people elsewhere.  There's a lot of trading going on between close families which is how you end up with some of the same families in power in two or three different realms.  You have a powerful character here, and friends and allies suggest that they have cousins over there where they need estates...(shrugs).
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Shenron

• Noble Lord
  • Come and play people ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: August 09, 2011, 06:50:05 AM »
I support this a lot. It would really help for long trips on characters that I don't really care about.
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm