Author Topic: Simplification of Travel  (Read 9496 times)

egamma

Re: Simplification of Travel
« Reply #15: August 09, 2011, 03:03:38 PM »
It would be nice to have for priests, adventurers, and traders. My trader really doesn't need any attention for a week at a time.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: August 09, 2011, 03:06:01 PM »
It would be nice to have for priests, adventurers, and traders. My trader really doesn't need any attention for a week at a time.

Priests and adventurers?

Are you serious?

You can travel many regions with them in seconds already.  Even if, by some bizarre chance, Tom did a complete 180 on this feature request in general, there's no way we'd implement it for priests and adventurers.  That doesn't even make sense.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: August 09, 2011, 03:21:12 PM »
Priests and adventurers?

Are you serious?

You can travel many regions with them in seconds already.  Even if, by some bizarre chance, Tom did a complete 180 on this feature request in general, there's no way we'd implement it for priests and adventurers.  That doesn't even make sense.

No, it does.

When my priest travels between Springdale and Giask, he does it in one go. Why stop? Nothing will stop him, except the odd desire to speak to someone in a particular region. So I log, spend my hours, wait for trip length + 16 hours to refill my time pool, and do it again.

There is no way I would ever do that with a unit. I've travelled with a unit before, and I had to scout my way along, occasionally retreating or taking a side route to avoid a monster swarm. Presetting this trip would be suicide.

Even on a settled island, you never know when you will encounter foreign troops.

It would only make sense for priests and adventurers, really. Maybe traders, although my experience is that I prefer to have a guard when trading.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #18: August 13, 2011, 02:30:52 PM »
No, it does.

When my priest travels between Springdale and Giask, he does it in one go. Why stop? Nothing will stop him, except the odd desire to speak to someone in a particular region. So I log, spend my hours, wait for trip length + 16 hours to refill my time pool, and do it again.

There is no way I would ever do that with a unit. I've travelled with a unit before, and I had to scout my way along, occasionally retreating or taking a side route to avoid a monster swarm. Presetting this trip would be suicide.

Even on a settled island, you never know when you will encounter foreign troops.

It would only make sense for priests and adventurers, really. Maybe traders, although my experience is that I prefer to have a guard when trading.

IMHO, this is one of the long standing problems with the game.

Why stop?

To talk to people, pass on gossip, preach, recruit new nobles, learn the gossip, have small adventurers, visit the local lord, etc, etc, etc.

I used to play Jens as a trader, and the whole point was to travel everywhere, stop everywhere, and roleplay. (ok, and get rich)

I don't mind eliminating auto-tasks, but I'm not in favor of anything that helps people be in a hurry.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: August 13, 2011, 02:37:49 PM »
Why stop?

To talk to people, pass on gossip, preach, recruit new nobles, learn the gossip, have small adventurers, visit the local lord, etc, etc, etc.

That particular example was about the Dwilight wilderness. There is no one there to roleplay with, in general, only monsters.

Also, it's not that I don't want to roleplay when I play. The point is that if I know I can't log in for three days straight, then this would be an opportunity to go into that long trip that I don't want to usually do because it's too long.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #20: August 13, 2011, 07:56:09 PM »
I believe this is a good idea. With the current two region travel system you can feel the artificiality of the game mechanics interfering with the experience of the game. When the Marshal of an army gives orders to move a certain path, I want to set it right away and not have to worry about it constantly, so I can focus on other things. Like roleplay.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: August 15, 2011, 03:50:45 AM »
Don't forget that rogues, peasants, or the like can interrupt your travel. You could set a 2-week travel, but if peasants spawn on the second day, you won't have budged after the rest of the two weeks.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #22: August 15, 2011, 03:39:51 PM »
That would be a risk you take, taking a predetermined path.

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: August 19, 2011, 03:20:45 AM »
Perhaps I missed someone suggesting this, but perhaps for beginners (first month-or an optional setting for everyone) the location of the marshal could be shown in the travel page.  To add to this, the action of the Marshal could also be stated.  Such as:
Marshal in Region X.  Moving to Region Y.
Marshal in Region X.  Dug in.
Marshal in Prison.  SiC in Region X.  Moving to Region Y.
Another idea (which I would highly suggest for just the first month) is to have the action which would mimic one's Marshal in a different colour.  As in:
    * Region X (home realm)
      good road, 61 miles, ca. 4 hours
    * Region Y (home realm)
      good road, 85 miles, ca. 6 hours
    * Region Z (enemy realm)
      good road, 48 miles, ca. 3 hours

This does not simplify anything, but it does make things easier for new players to follow what they need to do.  Some may then never read their orders, but I think the goal should be to help those who want to play and deal with those who will be quitting shortly.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: August 19, 2011, 04:43:56 AM »
Perhaps I missed someone suggesting this, but perhaps for beginners (first month-or an optional setting for everyone) the location of the marshal could be shown in the travel page.  To add to this, the action of the Marshal could also be stated.  Such as:
Marshal in Region X.  Moving to Region Y.
Marshal in Region X.  Dug in.
Marshal in Prison.  SiC in Region X.  Moving to Region Y.
Another idea (which I would highly suggest for just the first month) is to have the action which would mimic one's Marshal in a different colour.  As in:
    * Region X (home realm)
      good road, 61 miles, ca. 4 hours
    * Region Y (home realm)
      good road, 85 miles, ca. 6 hours
    * Region Z (enemy realm)
      good road, 48 miles, ca. 3 hours

This does not simplify anything, but it does make things easier for new players to follow what they need to do.  Some may then never read their orders, but I think the goal should be to help those who want to play and deal with those who will be quitting shortly.

They they should usually be in the same region, it could help stragglers. Or otherwise the game could let the newb know where the marshal is traveling to. But he isn't always going where the rest of his army ought to.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron