Author Topic: Tops and Flops  (Read 23951 times)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Tops and Flops
« Reply #30: March 21, 2011, 11:04:36 PM »
Top:
- developer(s) listen to players
- real teamwork game
- each class is different

Flop:
- not enough dutch players for an own map / total amount of players
- religion misses something

You want a island solely for Dutch players? No island is designated for a nationality, and hopefully such a thing will NEVER happen.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Zakilevo

« Reply #31: March 22, 2011, 05:17:54 AM »
That is horrible. An island full of Dutch people? Why would you want to do such a thing :P

Aldwoni

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: March 22, 2011, 02:07:55 PM »
You want a island solely for Dutch players? No island is designated for a nationality, and hopefully such a thing will NEVER happen.
not for a nationality but for a language, dutch instead of english. But when it happens, battlemaster needs to grow very much so I don't expect it will ever happen.

Hossenfeffer

• Knight
    • View Profile
    • Sanguis Astroism - The Bloodstar Phases
« Reply #33: March 22, 2011, 06:25:14 PM »
Tops:

1.  The history of the game - in the Fontan-Sirion bickering there have been IC references to grudges formed half a decade ago.  That's real IC feeling, and I don't know of another game to match it. 
2.  The subtle depth to the game - it's deceptive in its apparent simplicity, but the more you play, the more you come to understand how many ways there are to achieve things.
3.  The team nature of the game, in decent realms, at least.  Every character within a realm can contribute to the realm's success as a whole.

Flops:

1. Religion has very little to offer nobles for the most part.  Being religious was the default in the middle ages, the vast majority of peasants and nobles alike believing that the intercession of the priesthood was a necessity for the salvation of their immortal souls.  That's a pretty potent offering compared to 'a monthly fee you have to pay'.
2. Oaths.  The relationship between lords and knights is still too tenuous, when it should be the most important  relationship in the game.
3. Too Much Peace.  I understand this is being changed though, so I'm happy to wait and see.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: March 22, 2011, 10:30:31 PM »
not for a nationality but for a language, dutch instead of english. But when it happens, battlemaster needs to grow very much so I don't expect it will ever happen.

I still seriously doubt this would happen. Segregating the community by language just seems wrong for a game designed to be role-play as well as strategy.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: March 22, 2011, 10:38:30 PM »
I still seriously doubt this would happen. Segregating the community by language just seems wrong for a game designed to be role-play as well as strategy.

Let's put it this way:

If BattleMaster ever has as many Dutch players as it now has total players, Tom might be willing to consider something like that.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: March 23, 2011, 07:40:57 AM »
As a Dutch speakers, I will say the following about the possibility of a Dutch island:

OH DEAR GOD NO!

That is all.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: March 25, 2011, 02:07:32 AM »
If BattleMaster ever has as many Dutch players as it now has total players, Tom might be willing to consider something like that.

I'd give them their own island as long as it was a 1-character island like Dwilight and a requirement that they have characters on other islands. That way they wouldn't be their own fraction of battlemaster.

For example, in order to join the Dutch island the player must have at least 1 active character on another island. It may bring more players into the game - which we all want to have happen  8)
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: March 25, 2011, 01:54:54 PM »
As a Dutch speakers, I will say the following about the possibility of a Dutch island:

OH DEAR GOD NO!

That is all.

No offence, but agreed :)

Jimgerdes

• Noble Lord
  • There is no cow level
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #39: April 02, 2011, 06:49:04 AM »
Top: Great Community- (almost) everyone is here to have a good time
Top: Rewards based on Merit- If you try hard and work for it, you can usually advance successfully and that's rewarding, while those who don't care stay right where they are.
Top: Roleplaying is always fun and other people are almost always willing to roleplay with you if you ask.

Flop: Too much peace is ridiculous.  It makes people constantly be at war.  I understand the purpose, and I agree it's helpful to an extent, it prevents there from being no action and livens things up a bit, but it leads to realms getting wiped out for no reason other than to prevent that annoying little message.  It makes you focus more on being active during wartime since you're always fighting and makes it harder to roleplay.  There should be a balance between strategy and roleplay, and right now it's almost completely tipped towards strategy.
Flop: One thing that's kind of annoying is that veteran players can basically instantly get whatever positions they want.  People just see the family name and basically say "Oh!  You're X!  You're famous.  Here's our whole freaking kingdom!  There ya go"  Basically the same people are always in charge.  For example, some realm will fall and it's nobles will dissipate and the king of the old realm or general or something gets a lordship or other position pretty fast.  Or a duke will retire and the player's new character will instantly get some position.  It's kind of irritating, but I know there's not really anything that can be done about it.  So I've pretty much gotten over it.
Flop: The game I've noticed is starting to have a lot more features and extra fluff.  I think this is a problem that a lot of browser games have, is that the devs think they should try to "keep it fresh and new" but I've noticed that the simplest ideas are usually the best.  I'm going to use the new treaty system as an example, I personally think it was more fun coming up with your own treaties and drafting your own treaties and you have to go on the other realm's word, but now it's a game mechanic.  It's not the biggest issue, and I don't mind the updates and new features at all, but it's just a lot really fast : )
No man is an island, unto himself.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: April 02, 2011, 01:31:44 PM »

OH DEAR GOD NO!

That is all.

I agree, and mostly because of the Dutch and their crazy version of the language. Getting massive chills when I imagine dutch people RP.  :o
Ardet nec consumitur.

Jeckyl

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: April 05, 2011, 01:06:35 PM »
TOP: The ability to RP your character as much or as little as you like.
TOP: Unique items.
TOP: Can skip a turn or two and still be able to catch up on what was missed.

FLOP: Wishing scrolls were a tad more common, so one could actually train their magic skill.
FLOP: Declining player base :(
FLOP: Being paranoid that there is always a set of multies in one or more of the realms I play in.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #42: April 05, 2011, 02:15:27 PM »
TOP: The ability to RP your character as much or as little as you like.
TOP: Unique items.
TOP: Can skip a turn or two and still be able to catch up on what was missed.

FLOP: Wishing scrolls were a tad more common, so one could actually train their magic skill.
FLOP: Declining player base :(
FLOP: Being paranoid that there is always a set of multies in one or more of the realms I play in.

You know, I've probably asked Tom several times in the past in multiple ways to have more magic, and each time it was rejected. Apparently scrolls are supposed to be really rare, and magic is not a skill humans should have.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: April 05, 2011, 02:21:44 PM »
Yeah, low fantasy world, so the intent is to keep magic rare, almost on the level of a myth.

Jeckyl

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: April 06, 2011, 02:31:11 AM »
Yeah, low fantasy world, so the intent is to keep magic rare, almost on the level of a myth.

The way it is right now, most chars won't see a single scroll. And when they DO get one, odds are it wont work on account of a low magic stat. As it stands, there is almost no point in even having them.