Author Topic: Dynasties web game, looking for PHP/jquery dev  (Read 12315 times)

Barek (jerm)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Yes -  game is in very early development!  I'm appreciative of people logging in and checking it out.  I certainly want people to test things out and help along the way with various aspects of development.

All families are/will be real players, I don't plan to have AI families.

Marriage proposals are still in development,  you can propose them, but so far that's all I've got coded.  All in good time!
You should take everything I say with a grain of salt.  But I'm not a werewolf.  Really.

Barek (jerm)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Anyone feeling generous with advice and opinion?

I have a quandary with regards to how to set regions up.  I'd considered having regions be very static.  They'd have max population values for farmers and townspeople, and there would be little or no way of modifying that.  Farmers and townspeople relate to the production of food and tax gold.

I then considered doing level based region structures.  Farms, Towns, Fortifications, Food Stores.  Each improvement, which of course costs gold and food supplies, increases the capacity or strength.

My concern is all of these region related options seem to steer the feel of the game from "Dynastic family politics over land" and more toward "Land management with a family dynasties theme".
You should take everything I say with a grain of salt.  But I'm not a werewolf.  Really.

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
Tie any development to relations between families.  Some lands can build better castles but you'll need to be married in before they'll do it for you.  You could also make levels dependent upon some statistic of power and influence.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Or have approval for significant new structures require the blessing of the player councils. Then you can use all those lovely family connections to lobby for the improvements while your enemies try to prevent you building up your strength using their own connections.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
castles and fortifications?

a noble has to seek permission from his liege to build/upgrade fortification. eg.. simple keep->castle, etc.

then again, they can build it anyway in defiance of the superior and wait for the army to come and knock it down.

i think geography shouldn't be much of a concern...
firefox

Barek (jerm)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Great suggestions, thanks!

Initially, all the players will be 'independent'.  The game is set many years after the fall of the last king, and the players are the most influential of the houses.  Its assumed that they have some rabble houses sworn to them...  However it is my intent that during play, one house may become vassal to another, whether through military action or political influence.

While I'm fond of the idea of levels for buildings, I don't want it to devolve into a building management game.  I want the focus to be on the families and on politics.   Loren's suggestion to tie something like this to familial relations, and some kind of power or influence score might be the way to go.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
While I certainly agree with not having a huge building component, things like Tower > Keep > Castle > Citadel, or Manor > Mansion > Palace would be a major part of being a landed noble.  How else do we show our control, our prestige, our wealth, and our power?  Remember, many of these are homes for our families, not just military installations.

And it could add to the strategic element.  Nobles would be less impressed by a Citadel than a Palace, but a Palace is much easier to take via conquest by armies of your rivals.

Gustav Kuriga

Exactly. They are homes for our families, not just military installations. A military installation would not involve politics and family influence at all. But our family homes would. Besides, this game is about noble family politics, not the construction of buildings.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
Re: Dynasties web game, looking for PHP/jquery dev
« Reply #23: September 21, 2011, 11:42:25 PM »
Looks like this is progressing well.

Barek (jerm)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: September 22, 2011, 12:07:53 AM »
Thanks!

Progress is a little slow at the moment, as I juggle all my other obligations, but still moving along.

My next big items are getting events to be a little more interesting and have more options, and to get battles working.

And I need to get my CSS developer (aka my wife) back to work.

squishymaster

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: September 22, 2011, 03:43:52 AM »
I thought it very cool to post about creating your own game and looking for some feedback.  I agree that things look like there progressing nicely, I haven't posted on your thread before but do check it when there are updates to see how things are going.  Keep up the good work and hopefully we'll all get to play it someday.

Nerukou

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: September 22, 2011, 04:57:05 PM »
Anyone feeling generous with advice and opinion?

You need a new theme, brah.

I like the idea you have here. Assuming you ever get the game to a playable state, let me know. I might be willing to do some design work, pro bono.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #27: September 22, 2011, 05:07:36 PM »
I think the theme is fine. Unless you mean after you login and are at your family page. Then yeah, you need a theme (specifically because there is none).

Nerukou

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: September 22, 2011, 05:12:47 PM »
I think the theme is fine. Unless you mean after you login and are at your family page. Then yeah, you need a theme (specifically because there is none).

No, I meant the color scheme.

Barek (jerm)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: September 22, 2011, 05:15:55 PM »
I kinda like the maroon.  Makes me think of royalty and of blood.  But its still early, I considered a dark grey or even black.  And yeah, the rest of it needs some major visual work, but I'm still focusing on core functionality, and my CSS developer is even busier than I am right now.