Author Topic: Rules / Website  (Read 17733 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Rules / Website
« Topic Start: August 09, 2011, 01:33:51 PM »
I've written up everything and sorted it and put it up here:

http://lemuria.org/SM3/

Check it out, and post below what you think or especially what you don't understand. I'm sure the first draft is not perfect, your feedback will help me improve it.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Rules / Website
« Reply #1: August 09, 2011, 04:12:23 PM »
I'm sure the first draft is not perfect, your feedback will help me improve it.

It's actually pretty good from a new player's point of view. There wasn't much in there that made me think "wait, what?" and I got a pretty good view on how the game will be played.

The only thing that had me a little confused is that you say there are no character sheets (Characters page), but you talk about experience levels and gaining experience/concentration/energy over time. Will the game track this for me? Or will I have to keep track of this myself?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #2: August 09, 2011, 04:25:06 PM »
The game will track that for you, once it's done.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 09, 2011, 05:14:46 PM »
...Unless I'm missing something, that skill progressions chart means it will take several years to advance a single skill to mastery.  Am I missing something?
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #4: August 09, 2011, 06:44:07 PM »
...Unless I'm missing something, that skill progressions chart means it will take several years to advance a single skill to mastery.  Am I missing something?

Yes. You get experience points over time as well as by actually using those spells.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 09, 2011, 07:10:38 PM »
Ah!  Every hour of every day.  I misread that as every day, and was calculating based on one XP a day...
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Zakilevo

« Reply #6: August 09, 2011, 08:10:10 PM »
interesting rules. It would be awesome if we can form the council.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 09, 2011, 09:13:16 PM »
My understanding is that Councils are player-formed organizations. It is intentional that the players form such organizations.

Players can (and it is heavily recommended that they do) form alliances of magicians, called Councils.

Tom had mentioned earlier something about "council stones" being needed to form a council. If you wanted to form a council, you had to go and find a council stone. I don't see anything in the rules about this, though.

Just a general comment on the site: The text is a bit hard to read in that fancy font. Cramped and ornate makes a rough combination.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 09, 2011, 10:14:44 PM »
Just a general comment on the site: The text is a bit hard to read in that fancy font. Cramped and ornate makes a rough combination.

You should have seen the fonts Tom tried previously *shudder*

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #9: August 09, 2011, 11:43:42 PM »

I could easily make it less cramped what line-spacing etc. would you prefer?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 10, 2011, 03:46:36 PM »
I think there are two thing that make it hard to read. First is the calligraphy font.  Parts of the letters are too thin, and disappear.  This is particularly noticeable on the lower case a and e. I can understand why you chose the calligraphy font, it makes for a good feel to the site. But it does make it a bit difficult at times.

On looking further at the line spacing issue, it is really only an issue when you have the drop capitals (or initials) on the first line of a paragraph. When you have the large drop capital on the first line, the spacing between the first and second lines is much smaller, causing the letters to actually overlap in some cases.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #11: August 10, 2011, 07:05:12 PM »
which browser? can you post a screenshot?

Morningstar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 10, 2011, 07:27:19 PM »
I'm not seeing what Indirik is seeing on the a's and e's.  And I definitely see the desire to make it look the way it does.  But the particular font in use looks clunky, or dated, to me.

If you're embedding fonts into your CSS, which html5 seems to have finally come up with a standard for all browsers to support, it shouldn't be that rough to change this out to a different font.  Maybe try one of these?

champignon
abbeyline
be safe
windsong
the king & queen

But really, any true type font would work.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 10, 2011, 09:18:23 PM »
My browser is Chrome. I just upgraded this morning to the latest beta, but it looked the exact same yesterday with the latest stable. Here's a screen shot showing the text spacing, and the very thin line weight of the letters:

Note how the g in the top line comes down far enough to overlap the f in the second line. The spacing between those lines is much smaller than the spacing between the next lines.

I just checked with FireFox. It renders everything much more bold, and also gets the line spacing correct:

Regarding Morningstar's fonts: Out of all those fonts, only "Be Safe" looks like something that would be legible for large blocks of text.

Another possible font, if you want to switch, would be something like "Chronicles of a Hero" from Blambot. It's more of a handwriting style font, though, rather than an engraved style. http://blambot.com/font_coah.shtml

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #14: August 10, 2011, 09:43:12 PM »
good fonts are hard to find.

hm, it's strange that chrome renders it so much differently. both on Firefox and Safari it looked just fine. Is there something like Firebug for Chrome where you can change the font size live and check if it looks better than?