Author Topic: Rules / Website  (Read 17736 times)

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
Re: Rules / Website
« Reply #30: August 12, 2011, 04:26:26 AM »
In case you missed it, Tom updated The World portion giving an overview of our setting.

http://lemuria.org/SM3/welcome/world

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #31: August 12, 2011, 09:52:48 AM »
I've got a question about storing energy.

Is the limitation of "item/artifact or own body" a strict one?  More specifically, could one use something more like a specially prepared location as an "item"?

I'm thinking of something like a sacred grove or spring, or a stone circle.  Something vaguely Druidic.

Also, could one sort of combine the two, and store the energy in an animal—a familiar of sorts?

Those were examples.

You can store in a location, with the limitation that you'd only be able to draw on energy when you are in that location.

You can store in an animal, downsides are it can run away or be killed.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: August 12, 2011, 12:51:35 PM »
Those were examples.

You can store in a location, with the limitation that you'd only be able to draw on energy when you are in that location.

You can store in an animal, downsides are it can run away or be killed.

OK, thanks. I sort of thought so, but with the strict limitations on spells, I wanted to be sure.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #33: August 12, 2011, 09:31:36 PM »
Should we be able to login currently? If so, I'm not able to.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #34: August 12, 2011, 09:35:04 PM »
Should we be able to login currently? If so, I'm not able to.

I'm working on things. You should be able to register, and then login, but there's nothing to see there, yet. As I'm going on holiday tomorrow, there won't be anything there for at least one more week. And all accounts registered will likely be cleaned out because I'm still working on things.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #35: August 12, 2011, 09:37:53 PM »
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! My character has such a cool name!  :'(

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #36: August 12, 2011, 11:15:48 PM »
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! My character has such a cool name!  :'(

You can re-create him when the site launches. :-)

Morningstar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: August 19, 2011, 10:28:30 PM »
The usual distance is "near line-of-sight" meaning that if you see it clearly you can hit it, without the usual problem that "line of sight" extends to the horizon (true, but at that distance you don't really see your target anymore). If you want to cast spells into the remote, a combination with a spell that allows it will be needed.

Clairvoyance/clairsentience/clair-whatever, or would also require a combination of spells? That is, seeing/hearing/etc something happening in the present. Or psychometry or whatever, to view events related to an area or an object that have already happened.

Just getting some clarifications here. Perhaps those types of spells would not even be feasible in this universe, but it's good to know these things now.

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: August 19, 2011, 10:34:57 PM »
Tom and I both hinted that it would be required to 'hit' something farther away than you can really see.  Remote viewing of some type or another.

That's not to say that people wouldn't be able to feel you doing it, I'll leave it up to Tom though for a final word.

Jinsyn

• Knight
  • time - the indefinite moment eternal
    • View Profile
    • Facebonk
« Reply #39: August 20, 2011, 11:04:56 PM »
Are we allowed to use Self and Other as Bases?

For the former, I mean something like affecting your body to produce a corresponding effect upon your target, such as stabbing your hand with the Intent to Harm someone else's hand in a similar/identical fashion. For the latter, I mean basically the opposite, like producing an effect upon yourself that corresponds to what someone else is currently doing with the Intent to Mimic, such as causing yourself to suddenly sprint just as fast as someone next to you, by mimicking/copying/absorbing their speed.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #40: August 21, 2011, 09:44:15 PM »
Clairvoyance/clairsentience/clair-whatever, or would also require a combination of spells? That is, seeing/hearing/etc something happening in the present. Or psychometry or whatever, to view events related to an area or an object that have already happened.

Just getting some clarifications here. Perhaps those types of spells would not even be feasible in this universe, but it's good to know these things now.

Anything with time is always tricky. Then again, as far as events that have been roleplayed are concerned, using such a spell "only" means you can claim IC knowledge of something that's already been written down. It could work.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #41: August 21, 2011, 09:45:58 PM »
Are we allowed to use Self and Other as Bases?

No. The concept of Base excludes such things.

For the former, I mean something like affecting your body to produce a corresponding effect upon your target, such as stabbing your hand with the Intent to Harm someone else's hand in a similar/identical fashion.

The Base for something like that would be a concept like Correspondence. But I'm not sure I would allow abstract bases.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: August 25, 2011, 02:39:32 PM »
The SM3 website should have a very prominent link to the forums, since that's where the action takes place.

Also, if I'm logged in on my character page, and I click on one of the Background links to do some reading, I lose all of the "The Game" links, forcing me to log in again to get back to my character. Or just hit the back button on my browser a few times. But still, it should remember that I'm logged in.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #43: August 28, 2011, 04:05:05 PM »
The SM3 website should have a very prominent link to the forums, since that's where the action takes place.

Also, if I'm logged in on my character page, and I click on one of the Background links to do some reading, I lose all of the "The Game" links, forcing me to log in again to get back to my character. Or just hit the back button on my browser a few times. But still, it should remember that I'm logged in.

I'm aware of both of these. It' still very much a work-in-progress.