Author Topic: Searching for Sages and Wizards  (Read 35507 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Searching for Sages and Wizards
« Topic Start: August 09, 2011, 04:29:25 PM »
With the new code for sages and wizards going live, which makes sages/wizards unique and traceable, I think it might be fun to try and track some of them. Any ideas?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Sages and Wizards
« Reply #1: August 09, 2011, 05:10:02 PM »
With the new code for sages and wizards going live, which makes sages/wizards unique and traceable, I think it might be fun to try and track some of them. Any ideas?

Some thoughts come to mind:

In what way are these sages Unique?
If sages are unique, does that mean they always request the same items for repairs? For crafting items/scrolls?
Furthermore, does it mean that a same sage will be available at the same hours in the timepool in different regions? If not, how will we ever know that the sage seen in Region A and Region B is the same? If not, is it even relevant that it is technically the same sage?

Someone claimed in the other topic that a Sage is to be found in almost any region, if you rest for one hour at a time. If so, why do we even need to know where the Sage is going to be?

And in general, why would we ever try to track Sages (and even worse: keep track of them) without an extensive database and tracking system?

To be honest, I guess it sounds cool how they are 'unique', but I don't really see the point. Unless some of my premises are incorrect, of course :)

EDIT: My character is the founder of an advy guild. I thought about cooperating with the members to track sages and all, but it seems like a lot of work for little gain.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 09, 2011, 05:11:15 PM »
Some thoughts come to mind:

In what way are these sages Unique?
If sages are unique, does that mean they always request the same items for repairs? For crafting items/scrolls?
Furthermore, does it mean that a same sage will be available at the same hours in the timepool in different regions? If not, how will we ever know that the sage seen in Region A and Region B is the same? If not, is it even relevant that it is technically the same sage?

Someone claimed in the other topic that a Sage is to be found in almost any region, if you rest for one hour at a time. If so, why do we even need to know where the Sage is going to be?

And in general, why would we ever try to track Sages (and even worse: keep track of them) without an extensive database and tracking system?

To be honest, I guess it sounds cool how they are 'unique', but I don't really see the point. Unless some of my premises are incorrect, of course :)

Everything you think you know about how to find sages is now obsolete.  This represents a complete overhaul of how sages are handled.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 09, 2011, 05:14:18 PM »
Everything you think you know about how to find sages is now obsolete.  This represents a complete overhaul of how sages are handled.

Aha. That, Sir, is very interesting  ;D

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #4: August 09, 2011, 06:41:55 PM »
Tim is right, but we don't want to throw you the whole details. I am a strong believer in the thrill of discovery. The minute you see your first sage or wizard after this update, you will know why they are unique and how you can be sure that this is the same one as yesterday and be sure that it is not the same one your friend found in that other region last week.

So all your questions will be answered - by your (or others) experience inside the game. We're not giving the answers here on the forum.

I'm watching this topic to see how you all cope with the change, so please spread the word that this is the place to go for questions and answers. I always welcome feedback, it allows us to improve the game.

Corwyn

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 09, 2011, 06:49:59 PM »
I'll be honest when I first read the news I did so with some trepidation.  The current system was working, and the new system makes it seem like it will be a *lot* harder to find a sage/wizard (be at the right spot at the right time -- sounds odd for a "play at your own pace" game like BM).

But I'll reserve final judgement until I see the new changes.
Ni'Tessine Family: Corwyn (Sirion), Terril (Arcachon), Torin (adventurer)

Fury

« Reply #6: August 09, 2011, 08:35:15 PM »
I bet sages now have names ;) - it's the only sure way to track them. 

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #7: August 09, 2011, 11:45:13 PM »
I'll be honest when I first read the news I did so with some trepidation.  The current system was working, and the new system makes it seem like it will be a *lot* harder to find a sage/wizard (be at the right spot at the right time -- sounds odd for a "play at your own pace" game like BM).

But I'll reserve final judgement until I see the new changes.

It will be somewhat harder initially or if you try at random. But it will be easier if you have a starting point like a recent sighting as you now know he can't be on the other side of the island in short time, he must still be nearby.

And "right time" is measured in days, not hours. One of the changes is that the hours (both in your timepool and of the day) are not important anymore.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 10, 2011, 09:02:16 AM »
I bet sages now have names ;) - it's the only sure way to track them.

Yeah, perhaps. Or sigils :)

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 10, 2011, 09:23:42 AM »
Tim is right, but we don't want to throw you the whole details. I am a strong believer in the thrill of discovery. The minute you see your first sage or wizard after this update, you will know why they are unique and how you can be sure that this is the same one as yesterday and be sure that it is not the same one your friend found in that other region last week.

So all your questions will be answered - by your (or others) experience inside the game. We're not giving the answers here on the forum.

I'm watching this topic to see how you all cope with the change, so please spread the word that this is the place to go for questions and answers. I always welcome feedback, it allows us to improve the game.

And "right time" is measured in days, not hours. One of the changes is that the hours (both in your timepool and of the day) are not important anymore.

I presume the change is only on testing? Because everything still looks like it used to on the far east:

Region: Hutael
Found a sage at 15 hours (but can't see him at 16).

Visit Sage... - a rare opportunity - repair or craft unique items.

You have encountered a sage, a wise man, rumoured by many to have magical powers. He and his kind are the only people capable of repairing and sometimes even improving unique items.

Here is what the sage can repair, and what common items he will need for that:

can not repair the Astonishing Helm of Strength (would need Giant Eagle's Feather)
    repair the Old Longsword of Betrayal (needs Piece of Jade)

Exactly same as before...

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 10, 2011, 10:12:04 AM »

This makes me happy.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #11: August 10, 2011, 11:06:40 AM »
I presume the change is only on testing?

yes

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 10, 2011, 11:51:42 AM »
This makes me happy.

Yes...I didn't really like the old system.

yes

Ok thanks :)

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 10, 2011, 01:36:48 PM »
yes
Does that mean that the old system is still entirely in effect in the non-testing islands?
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #14: August 10, 2011, 03:37:40 PM »
Does that mean that the old system is still entirely in effect in the non-testing islands?

yes