Author Topic: family history  (Read 9644 times)

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
family history
« Topic Start: September 21, 2011, 07:53:05 AM »
should it not include "X becomes a knight of Y region"?
firefox

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: family history
« Reply #1: September 21, 2011, 08:57:31 AM »
It needs a re-structuring. Until now, we've pretty much dumped things into the history whenever we thought it fits, but there's no overall concept.

Want to come up with one?

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 21, 2011, 09:05:05 AM »
should it not include "X becomes a knight of Y region"?

Isn't that just gonna spam the entire page with pointless reports?

Zakilevo

« Reply #3: September 21, 2011, 09:05:11 AM »
It would indeed be interesting to have this feature. What kind of overall concept are we looking for here?

Maybe instead of entire family clumped up together, how about have a character history?

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 21, 2011, 10:23:55 AM »
I like the current form, I just think we should add some new things to it. But not too ordinary things, don't want it to become cluttered.

I suggested in another thread that we i.e add when a priest becomes a lord through RTO. I'm sure there are plenty more things.
When an advy sells a unique item to a noble for the first time? When a trader makes his first sale? If one wins a duel to the death?
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 21, 2011, 02:12:10 PM »
I like the current form, I just think we should add some new things to it. But not too ordinary things, don't want it to become cluttered.

I suggested in another thread that we i.e add when a priest becomes a lord through RTO. I'm sure there are plenty more things.
When an advy sells a unique item to a noble for the first time? When a trader makes his first sale? If one wins a duel to the death?

I agree with some of those. I don't think there's much noteworthy about the first sell, though, and the advy might not want this transaction to be marked publicly.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Kain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: September 21, 2011, 05:34:54 PM »
I agree with some of those. I don't think there's much noteworthy about the first sell, though, and the advy might not want this transaction to be marked publicly.

Indeed you're probably right about those, but we can spawn some ideas. What else would be good if it was noted in the family history?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 21, 2011, 06:09:15 PM »
If one wins a duel to the death?
I'm pretty sure this one has been shot down before, along with a listing of who you executed while judge. I think Tom said he didn't want the family page turning into a trophy listing, or something like that. If you want to keep track, you can do it yourself on the wiki.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Kain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: September 21, 2011, 06:36:36 PM »
I'm pretty sure this one has been shot down before, along with a listing of who you executed while judge. I think Tom said he didn't want the family page turning into a trophy listing, or something like that. If you want to keep track, you can do it yourself on the wiki.

That is an interesting point but what is then the difference between the family history so far and a trophy listing? A lot of what is listed is honors + movements between realms.

And how can we add more things to it without it becominga "trophy listing"?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 21, 2011, 06:43:53 PM »
That is an interesting point but what is then the difference between the family history so far and a trophy listing? A lot of what is listed is honors + movements between realms.

And how can we add more things to it without it becominga "trophy listing"?

I think that by "trophy listing," he meant more like the head-on-the-wall kind of trophy.  He doesn't want the family history becoming a list of your kills.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: September 21, 2011, 06:51:56 PM »
If you want a trophy wall, you can always make one on your wiki page :)

Maxim

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: September 21, 2011, 07:18:11 PM »
- When a character become a Lord in an RTO
- When a character is elected Lord of a region in a Vote (only seems to log Appointments)
- When a character Wins a Tournament

Those are the only three I can think of.

Things like Duels, Executions etc. might be things some characters want to hide. It's not like we want everyone going round with their life's history pinned to their chest with a drop-down list of failures and achievements. It's too easily to go "Oh but look Sir, you once >insert event<, according to your family history" and that makes the usual IG options of lying and twisting the truth, or simply hiding it, to be impossible. It's much better that most of a character's fame or infamy lives on through IC knowledge passed on from actual character interactions.

Advy's shouldn't be relevant to family history. They are bastards afterall. "Below contempt" I think the game describes them.

One thing I would say is the family history should have a longer list. Some of the old old families have histories so long the earlier stuff doesn't seem to come up. Unless Family History just wasn't active at the time ...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 07:31:51 PM by Maxim »
"Who are you .. and are you relevant?"

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: September 21, 2011, 07:32:02 PM »
I think that by "trophy listing," he meant more like the head-on-the-wall kind of trophy.  He doesn't want the family history becoming a list of your kills.
Oh, right. Yes, this is what I meant. Sorry.  :-[

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: September 21, 2011, 08:04:57 PM »
- When a character become a Lord in an RTO
- When a character is elected Lord of a region in a Vote (only seems to log Appointments)
In general, any time a character becomes a lord, the family history should show it, and how it happened.

Advy's shouldn't be relevant to family history. They are bastards afterall. "Below contempt" I think the game describes them.
In general, I agree. However as a player, I think that it would be nice to see some advy stuff in there. Specifically, creation of advies, advy deaths, and why they died. Pretty much the way it is now. :)

It would be nice, as others have said, to perhaps have an option to see the history of individual characters, instead of the entire family history mashed together.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: September 21, 2011, 08:17:25 PM »
I think the family history can certainly use some reworking. Perhaps we should get rid of the structure we have now, and change it into something more visual. Perhaps some kind of timelines per character, with colour codes?

Like:

Character one: Timeline starts, green colour (green for Dwilight). After four months, the character gains a Lordship ("Event" on the timeline. Graph line changes into a double line? Triple for Duke? Swords for General?). After a year, the character gets deported to the Far East, background changes into Purple. Lordship and positions are lost.

I'm just saying. I'd like something where you can easily see what has happened to someone. Key point is readability, because the current system seriously lacks there.
Graphs displaying family wealth and fame could be displayed.