Author Topic: FEI POWER RANKINGS  (Read 53660 times)

Gustav Kuriga

Re: FEI POWER RANKINGS
« Reply #60: August 19, 2011, 06:49:50 AM »
Go toot your own horn IC- it's acceptable there.  :P

Ah the hypocrisy. It pleases my loins.

Morningstar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #61: August 19, 2011, 06:59:28 AM »
Aside from Ornaz, you lost Ahael (which Cathay took because you were busy being attacked by us)

I can't speak for before I came back. Best of my knowledge, Cathay's had Ahael through 3 Aenilian rulers now. So perhaps I was lead to believe it happened much longer ago than is true. Or perhaps your timeline's off. Dunno, doesn't change things a whole lot.

As for Zonasa, I thought they were doing ok until that last ill-advised suicide run on Talex. We were all set waiting to pounce on Larmebsi with them and likely pick off Arcaea a bit piecemeal (expedite their arrival with a TO), and they turned toward Talex instead- because their nobles were complaining about wanting to attack a city.  :o  But judging by what people here are saying, their military's been a mess for quite some time.

And while I'm grateful for them propping Aenilia up for what appears to be the duration of the entire war, it was a situation that our realm should never have gotten themselves into, and Zonasa, honestly, should not have felt obligated to participate in.  General feeling in the realm (including mine IC) is pretty much just that.  Zonasa did the best that they could, and better than we ever did, and we're much obliged.  But then, like I said, there's not much chatter in the realm period, so who knows.

Morningstar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #62: August 19, 2011, 07:03:33 AM »
As for diplomacy in general, I really don't know how things would pan out. I mean, all other categories aside, and stripping away "allies since forever" types of agreements- how do the realms rank in terms of active diplomacy right now?

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #63: August 19, 2011, 07:44:53 AM »
I can't speak for before I came back. Best of my knowledge, Cathay's had Ahael through 3 Aenilian rulers now. So perhaps I was lead to believe it happened much longer ago than is true. Or perhaps your timeline's off. Dunno, doesn't change things a whole lot.

Cathay took Ahael under Brian to prove to Xarnelf that they were serious about being pissed about his moving through Colasan to attack Ohnar West after they denied passage rights.  That was basically what caused Xarnelf to step down (Cathay's demand for peace), which caused Rekhyt to be elected.

As for Zonasa, I thought they were doing ok until that last ill-advised suicide run on Talex. We were all set waiting to pounce on Larmebsi with them and likely pick off Arcaea a bit piecemeal (expedite their arrival with a TO), and they turned toward Talex instead- because their nobles were complaining about wanting to attack a city.  :o  But judging by what people here are saying, their military's been a mess for quite some time.

Zonasa's military before the most recent war was the joke of the Far East.  They spent several (RL) years as an openly "pacifist" realm, and generally made gains after others did all the hard work.  That's one of the reasons it was such a big surprise that they proved decisive in this war.  No one in Arcaea was expecting it, as the last time we'd fought, Zonasa had been pinned down and beaten without much difficulty.

And while I'm grateful for them propping Aenilia up for what appears to be the duration of the entire war, it was a situation that our realm should never have gotten themselves into, and Zonasa, honestly, should not have felt obligated to participate in.  General feeling in the realm (including mine IC) is pretty much just that.  Zonasa did the best that they could, and better than we ever did, and we're much obliged.  But then, like I said, there's not much chatter in the realm period, so who knows.

Zonasa's been wanting an excuse to fight Arcaea since the last conflict (see above), and Erandi decided to take the legalistic "despite not agreeing with anything Xarnelf did, we have an alliance" view to allow Zonasa to fight.  Kindara was the real surprise, which I believe mostly ended up being a "we want a war" decision, as they were even more unhappy with Xarnelf's actions than Zonasa was.

Regarding realms and active diplomacy, that was the main basis for my diplomatic rankings.  Zonasa, Kindara, and Aenilia have a fairly solid defensive alliance, though I doubt any of them will march for the other in an aggressive war unless it has good justifications.  Arcaea and Ohnar West have a fairly good alliance, but Ohnar West is too battered to do much more now, and has internal issues that keep it from being effective in the slightest (and will cause all kinds of fun in the near future).  Cathay just alienated their former allies in Aenilia (which was a fairly big surprise, as that was an "allies forever" alliance), and by extension made Zonasa and Kindara somewhat unhappy.  Everyone knows what they did to C'thonia, and that combined with their reluctance to actually send troops to fight (they took Ahael against effectively no resistance) has severely weakened their alliance with Arcaea and to a lesser extent Ohnar West.

C'thonia has, effectively, only Arcaea for allies but a variety of factors keep Arcaea from being able to assist them, and they've managed to annoy all of their allies.

Arcachon had allies in Aenilia, but they've just been isolated by the recent peace terms, and Arcachon's torture and harsher, borderline-Order of the Hawk violation looting has made a number of other realms who might have considered assisting them extremely unhappy.

Arcaea and Kindara may well end up allies again.  There's a lot of people who used to be in Arcaea or have reason to like it in Kindara, and Kindara is named after Arcaea's Queen for a reason.  That will likely remain a weaker alliance than, say, their alliance with Zonasa.

I expect Arcaea to remain on unfriendly terms with Zonasa, and either realm will probably jump on an opportunity to fight if they think they can do so without being pummeled by the rest of the continent.  I really have no idea what is going to happen with Aenilia.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 07:57:24 AM by Bedwyr »
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #64: August 19, 2011, 07:49:43 AM »
Well, Aenilia went through three rulers within a month or two. And this war has gone on for considerably longer than that. So Cathay taking Ahael was before your time perhaps, but it was during this current war and not all that long ago.

Morningstar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #65: August 19, 2011, 07:54:12 AM »
Cathay took Ahael under Brian to prove to Xarnelf that they were serious about being pissed about his moving through Colasan to attack Ohnar West after they denied passage rights.  That was basically what caused Xarnelf to step down (Cathay's demand for peace), which caused Guy to be elected.

There was a guy in-between, though I guess he might as well have not been there. Either way, I get your point.  ;)

Am I wrong in saying that the map EC/FEI uses is far too conducive to lateral alliances and vertical wars? The ones that run East-West don't seem to last long, but there's bitter resentment and constant warring North-South.  Even if it's "we want war" as an excuse, people seem to always be willing to march across the continent, but not in their own backyard.  Or is that just because reprisals are much easier when you fight your neighbor than the guy half an island away?

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #66: August 19, 2011, 08:04:35 AM »
There was a guy in-between, though I guess he might as well have not been there. Either way, I get your point.  ;)

Am I wrong in saying that the map EC/FEI uses is far too conducive to lateral alliances and vertical wars? The ones that run East-West don't seem to last long, but there's bitter resentment and constant warring North-South.  Even if it's "we want war" as an excuse, people seem to always be willing to march across the continent, but not in their own backyard.  Or is that just because reprisals are much easier when you fight your neighbor than the guy half an island away?

Sorry, I meant to write "Rekhyt" and wrote "Guy" because I was thinking about whether he would ever get over his hatred for Arcaea.  It's odd, I don't think we've ever done anything to him to cause it.

I think it's more of the latter.  People don't want risk.  That was actually what made Jenred start despising Xarnelf (rather than considering him a worthy adversary as he might have); Xarnelf point-blank refused to get involved in anything where Aenilia was even slightly at risk, and tried to claim that he had the right to interfere with other wars without Aenilia being put in danger.  Yes, I (and Jenred) are quite aware that had a lot to do with trying to play diplomacy (and apparently, Kindara and Zonasa bought it, so perhaps he was right) but it still made Jenred furious.

There is certainly a map component as well, because it's basically impossible to defend your lands east-west even against a weaker opponent, whereas north-south you often can, which leads to people naturally forming "Southern" or "Northern" alliances, but I think the risk factor is more of an issue.  People inherently make friends with their neighbors and want to fight people further away to avoid risk.  And the map is generally only wide enough for two realms across...So you have "nearby" alliances that turn into "lateral" alliances in effect.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Heq

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #67: August 19, 2011, 09:08:21 AM »
Let's be honest, Arcachon never had allies, Arcaea just had people who hated it in Zonasa.

Aenelia mostly helped out Arcachon to screw with Ohnar West are Arcaea risk-free, and got called on it.  Arcachon spent years being total bastards to everyone and the whole shebang started on a C'thonia-like assault in Niel which was ne-ever going to succeed and has snowballed since then.  Ciann and Terril have some personal allies, as do some of the others in the realm, but that's about it (aside from Ciann's spy network).

Boogie-man realms don't get to have allies.  If Arcaea conquers Arcachon, they'll likely find themselves in the new role of boogie-man (though of a different kind), and will probably face similar isolation problems (unless Cathay goes full fascist).  That's just how human minds work.  There is a boogie-realm in every continent and there probably always will be.  Though they manifest differently you can almost immediately point at them and go "Those guys!"

I'd really like to see Cathay take up the role of villian though (once Arcachon's gone, which, like all villians it one day will).  It's harder for them to do though, but a fascist military state is a more interesting villian then a quasi-empire.  Mostly because I'm not sure that a pure RP empire without mechanics to back it will survive the first fit of pique due to imperial succession and while empires make for interesting internal dynamic, they are often too nebulous to serve as the straight villian.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #68: August 19, 2011, 09:12:13 AM »
Oh, I'm quite aware of what will happen if Arcaea takes the Dark Isle, and have various plans to deal with it.

The problem with RPing an empire is that the RP is only as strong as the Emperor is personally.  I'm betting Jenred can pull it off, but I may well be wrong.  We shall see.

Morningstar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #69: August 19, 2011, 09:59:44 AM »
I'd really like to see Cathay take up the role of villian though (once Arcachon's gone, which, like all villians it one day will).  It's harder for them to do though, but a fascist military state is a more interesting villian then a quasi-empire.  Mostly because I'm not sure that a pure RP empire without mechanics to back it will survive the first fit of pique due to imperial succession and while empires make for interesting internal dynamic, they are often too nebulous to serve as the straight villian.

Yeah, typically have to catch an empire as it's building or take it down from the inside.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70: August 19, 2011, 02:50:46 PM »
I'll give the delay arrival feature on seaways a test-drive again, and I'll keep things posted.
Please keep in mind that, essentially, Delay Arrival only works once per trip. And once it delays your arrival, you will arrive the turn after.

For example:
  • If you are not supposed to arrive at the next turn change, then Delay Arrival does nothing at all.
  • If you are supposed to arrive at the next turn change, and have more than one hour left, Delay Arrival will use up enough of your hours so that you fall one hour short of arriving, and you will not arrive.
  • If you are supposed to arrive at the next turn change, and you only have one hour left, you will arrive, regardless of your Delay Arrival setting, or whether you have used the Delay Arrival already this trip.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #71: August 19, 2011, 03:54:14 PM »
When you say "one hour left", you mean one hour away from your destination?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72: August 19, 2011, 04:08:23 PM »
err.. yes. Thanks for the clarification.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Hyral

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #73: August 19, 2011, 05:45:41 PM »

Kindara was the real surprise, which I believe mostly ended up being a "we want a war" decision, as they were even more unhappy with Xarnelf's actions than Zonasa was.

Not to drag this conversation backwards, but I really wanted to clarify this bit :p

Kindara defended Aenilia because Aenilia helped them against NeoSartania (at least, that was the reason in realm, I really have no idea what Tissaphernes told the rest of the island) A vocal portion of the active characters took this obligation so seriously that the rest of the realm basically just went along with it. And that part was only made possible by the mentality that Xarnelf =/= Aenilia.

In terms of what Arcaea can expect to get out of them, Edara is more popular in Kindara than Arcaea as a realm. Jenred himself is the origin of the insult "You talk like a northerner"... It's a mixed feeling.

TDLR

• Freeman
  • Having Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74: August 22, 2011, 07:07:23 PM »
Hey all.

I just found this forum. Nearly 5 years of playing and I didn't even know this was here.

Cheers.

pc

(Torres de los Reyes Family).
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." -- Winston Churchill