Author Topic: How are estate needs calculated?  (Read 5464 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
How are estate needs calculated?
« Topic Start: August 17, 2011, 06:50:36 PM »
Iato, a city with 10880 citizens, only requires 8 estate points to work fine.
Sandlakes, a rural with 5995, requires 10.

Why? My wealthier more populated city requires less knights than my less populated and less wealthy rural? I should be having 3 nobles aligned to Sandlakes and only 2 aligned to Iato, including the lords???
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: How are estate needs calculated?
« Reply #1: August 17, 2011, 06:56:01 PM »
How much food does Sandlakes produce? Maybe it produces enough to be wealthier than Iato?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 17, 2011, 07:02:40 PM »
Iato is 733 gold and 33 food.
Sandlakes is 232 gold and 244 food.

And since 1 bushel is far from being worth 1 gold, I hope that this isn't the reason why...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 17, 2011, 07:07:12 PM »
Artisans are more economically useful than peasants. Yet, they still must be fed.

I think it's normal that rural regions are poorer.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 17, 2011, 07:10:31 PM »
I'm assuming estates work with %. It looks like that 6k-pop region is almost full, while your city isn't?
Ardet nec consumitur.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 17, 2011, 07:12:47 PM »
Artisans are more economically useful than peasants. Yet, they still must be fed.

I think it's normal that rural regions are poorer.

Which is why they produce less gold.

I'm assuming estates work with %. It looks like that 6k-pop region is almost full, while your city isn't?

They are both at maximum population.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 17, 2011, 07:14:28 PM »
Then I'm assuming it's just the general size of a region; more land requires more estates. Which, sort of makes sense, sort of doesn't...
Ardet nec consumitur.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 17, 2011, 07:47:36 PM »
Then I'm assuming it's just the general size of a region; more land requires more estates. Which, sort of makes sense, sort of doesn't...

I'd rather have to manage 500 acres of farmland than 50 acres of an urban core, personally, if the pay was the same...

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 17, 2011, 07:50:27 PM »
I'm assuming estates work with %.
Yes, that is correct. Lowered population will reduce the estate requirements in a region.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 17, 2011, 07:56:31 PM »
Yes, that is correct. Lowered population will reduce the estate requirements in a region.

But they are both at 100%. Or about 99%, to be more precise, because of recruits and whatnot.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 17, 2011, 08:03:44 PM »
Sorry, I wasn't commenting on your particular situation. Just confirming Fleugs' assumption about lowered population lowering estate requirements.

As a general observation, from what I've seen cities generally require a lower number of estate points per given amount of population that other regions.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 17, 2011, 08:04:22 PM »
Different region types are calculated differently.  Otherwise either rurals would require 1 estate or cities would require 60.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 17, 2011, 08:10:27 PM »
Different region types are calculated differently.  Otherwise either rurals would require 1 estate or cities would require 60.

Why doesn't it use a non-linear population function instead? So that if 5000 pop requires 8 estates, 50000 doesn't need 80 estates, regardless of region type? Would make it more logical, and more reasonable. Having estate force poorer regions to have more knights than richer regions is a non-sense.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 17, 2011, 08:34:44 PM »
Why doesn't it use a non-linear population function instead? So that if 5000 pop requires 8 estates, 50000 doesn't need 80 estates, regardless of region type? Would make it more logical, and more reasonable. Having estate force poorer regions to have more knights than richer regions is a non-sense.

It's all going to be changed drastically with the new estate system anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about it just at the second.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: August 17, 2011, 09:28:14 PM »
It's all going to be changed drastically with the new estate system anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about it just at the second.

Can we have an idea how long the new estate system will be in? I'm sure everyone is very excited for it.