Author Topic: Threats of reprimand due to playing speed  (Read 41115 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Threats of reprimand due to playing speed
« Reply #15: August 17, 2011, 10:54:32 PM »
Firstly:
I'm thinking troop leaders & a noble should be changed to player & human beings. As it stands, only players who can command troops are bestowed with inalienable rights. Players who play priests & adventurers will not be covered otherwise. I can think of many reasons why and how such characters can be punished.

Yeah, "troop leader" is archaic BM terminology, and should certainly be changed.  (I was even talking about this with Shizzle on IRC just now!)

In the absence of any punishment there can be no violation. Someone can threaten all they like but it matters not until punishment is meted out. To act on premeditation is to complicate matters and is in no way provided for in the wiki document.

Nope.  The threat is the violation.

Read the page.  Understand what it says.

Someone in a position of power saying, "Do this or else!" even if the "else" is not specified or even explicitly stated—that is, even if it's just stated as "Do this!"—is creating an atmosphere where the people they have power over feel threatened.  They don't have to punish anyone. They don't have to even say that they will.  Simply giving an instruction that violates the Inalienable Rights creates that atmosphere.

That is what we are trying to prevent. That atmosphere.  Which is created simply by saying it.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan