Author Topic: Box / Line / Wedge / Skirmish  (Read 19778 times)

psymann

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Box / Line / Wedge / Skirmish
« Reply #45: August 20, 2011, 01:01:47 AM »
This is battlemaster. the tactics are not that complex to begin with. if you want a straight forward game where everything gets beaten by something, play rock paper scissors.

I don't want a straight-forward game where everything gets beaten by something, but I do want a game that makes sense, that I understand, and gives some level of variety.

Thanks for your useful explanation, it's made the situation make a lot more sense to me, which helps me with that.  Sadly I don't own any books about medieval warfare, so the majority of the historical-war-based ones I've read are set after 1700 - which is not always a lot of help for Battlemaster! ;)

So from what I can tell, the ways to defeat cavalry, and stop them being the massive force they otherwise are, are:
- fight them when you have walls
- make use of the battlemaster rows to force them to waste their charge on a small line of troops

The only thing I'm still not sure about is whether there is any formation I can use to help my infantry or archers perform better or worse against cavalry (either in attack or defence).  Most of the talk so far has been about defending by using mutliple units in particular waves etc, rather than talking about the formations.  Am I right in thinking that:
- Cavalry pretty much always benefit from being in a wedge
- Defending against cavalry it doesn't really matter what formation you use because you're going to die unless you can hide behind a wall or someone else's troops.