Author Topic: Religions  (Read 42971 times)

songqu88@gmail.com

Re: Religions
« Reply #45: March 14, 2011, 06:01:09 PM »
The bottomline in my mind is that a religion that fails to keep its members around will fail. That doesn't mean realistic or interesting, so long as it doesn't violate any rules against cheating or the social contract. So if it turns out that a supremely boring and contentless religion can be sustained for many years, and there are no shenanigans about, then what exactly is the issue? We aren't exactly here to police the roleplaying elements of this game, except maybe on Dwilight.

In addition, if you want to be serious about the religion, good for you. In fact, I would congratulate you for contributing to the atmosphere of BM over those who perpetuate a seemingly boring and empty religion. So? If you want recognition for it, then it'll come, but I think the argument here is similar to that which asks us to be good people, even if no one praises us. Just because some, or maybe a lot, of people around us don't do something well, doesn't mean we shouldn't. On the other hand, what gives us the right to say that our way of going about religions is the right one? Maybe we could try to understand what makes "hollow" religions still tick and the players' views on them.