Author Topic: Lurian News  (Read 56168 times)

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
Re: Lurian News
« Reply #180: December 15, 2011, 06:08:20 PM »
I was never aware it was named after the name of the guy, if that's what you are implying happened.

Edward Raiva was his name  :)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181: December 15, 2011, 06:19:18 PM »
"The Raivan Empire was formed on November 29, 2008. During the opening days of the war between Springdale and Virovene (itself newly formed by secession from Springdale), Duke Edward Raiva decided to seceded the city of Aegir from the Empire of Springdale. "
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #182: December 15, 2011, 07:31:52 PM »

You might say he was stark raiving mad. *puts on his david caruso shades*  Yeeeeeeaaaaaaah!

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #183: December 15, 2011, 11:20:51 PM »

I was not aware. I'd have said something about it back then had I realized this.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #184: December 15, 2011, 11:36:53 PM »
I would say it's a lot more SMA than just picking some random made up name that you think sounds cool.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #185: December 15, 2011, 11:44:19 PM »
I would say it's a lot more SMA than just picking some random made up name that you think sounds cool.

You can RP random names as having some significance.

However, I'd like to see an example of a RL kingdom being named by the founder around his family name.

I doubt you'll find any, especially since such names back then were not the same as we have nowadays. They weren't "family" names at all.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #186: December 16, 2011, 12:24:21 AM »

However, I'd like to see an example of a RL kingdom being named by the founder around his family name.

I doubt you'll find any, especially since such names back then were not the same as we have nowadays. They weren't "family" names at all.

Constantinople was named after the founder of the city, it is not that much of a stretch to name a realm after the founder.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #187: December 16, 2011, 12:30:53 AM »
Constantinople was named after the founder of the city, it is not that much of a stretch to name a realm after the founder.

Is it? Tons of cities are named after people. I can't think of a nation that is named after a person, though. Maybe that's just me being ignorant, but I'd very much like to hear of an example where such a thing was done.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #188: December 16, 2011, 12:33:10 AM »
Is it? Tons of cities are named after people. I can't think of a nation that is named after a person, though. Maybe that's just me being ignorant, but I'd very much like to hear of an example where such a thing was done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_named_after_people

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #189: December 16, 2011, 01:13:57 AM »

And you can't RP significance to naming the realm after yourself?

Hell, it practically writes itself; it makes quite the statement.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #190: December 16, 2011, 01:28:41 AM »

I think the next person to decry the death of SMA should tell us the last time their character followed THIS aspect of SMA

" Also treating commoners (including adventurers) like the pig-farmers they are."

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #191: December 16, 2011, 02:39:18 AM »
I think the next person to decry the death of SMA should tell us the last time their character followed THIS aspect of SMA

" Also treating commoners (including adventurers) like the pig-farmers they are."

I do it all the time.

I ignore them.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #192: December 16, 2011, 02:44:18 AM »
I do it all the time.

I ignore them.

And yet they have access to quite a lot of the messages that go through the Moot.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #193: December 16, 2011, 03:07:38 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_named_after_people

These are all either modern examples, or named off deities. And even the modern ones seem to mostly be ex-colonies.

These are not examples of a king naming his kingdom after himself.

That's not the point. Kingdoms weren't name after their king. Not in medieval Europe, at least. They were named after a bunch of other things, though, and these other things are what your RP can emulate.

Pig farmers pay taxes. That being said, last time we had to deal with advies we basically chased them all off our islands. Damn criminals were preventing the rogue spawns and favoring TMP.

And yet they have access to quite a lot of the messages that go through the Moot.

Should they be banned from guilds? I don't think any advy is a full member of the moot. They are just cozy with all the smelly foreigners, that's all.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #194: December 16, 2011, 03:19:52 AM »
Should they be banned from guilds? I don't think any advy is a full member of the moot. They are just cozy with all the smelly foreigners, that's all.

I as a character certainly wouldn't allow them into guilds that are supposedly founded to administer a federation of realms, no.

These are all either modern examples, or named off deities. And even the modern ones seem to mostly be ex-colonies.

Several of them are from the 1500, Philippines in particular is interesting as it was named for Phillip of Spain. The Original name was Las Islas Filipinas.