Author Topic: Lurian News  (Read 56569 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Lurian News
« Reply #195: December 16, 2011, 03:27:24 AM »
I as a character certainly wouldn't allow them into guilds that are supposedly founded to administer a federation of realms, no.

Several of them are from the 1500, Philippines in particular is interesting as it was named for Phillip of Spain. The Original name was Las Islas Filipinas.

Yea, when it was a colony. It only declared independance in 1898. After a few hundred years as a colony, I get keeping the name. 1565 by itself is kinda later for the BM period too.

If the realm was named off Morek's ruler, it wouldn't be the same.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #196: December 16, 2011, 03:41:04 AM »
Yea, when it was a colony. It only declared independance in 1898. After a few hundred years as a colony, I get keeping the name. 1565 by itself is kinda later for the BM period too.

If the realm was named off Morek's ruler, it wouldn't be the same.

The Welsh King Brychan Brycheiniog  ruled the realm of Brecheniauc, which in old welsh means Lands of a Man called Brychan. This was the 5th century AD. That a good enough example?

You could also argue that since many realms, like France adopted the tribes name (Franks in this case) and since tribal names where the closest that many groups had to surnames, that this is a very old practise :)
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #197: December 16, 2011, 03:49:38 AM »
The Welsh King Brychan Brycheiniog  ruled the realm of Brecheniauc, which in old welsh means Lands of a Man called Brychan. This was the 5th century AD. That a good enough example?

You could also argue that since many realms, like France adopted the tribes name (Franks in this case) and since tribal names where the closest that many groups had to surnames, that this is a very old practise :)

Brecheniauc was a kingdom? I can't really find much with a quick google search. All I find is a reference to it being a region in Wales, and the dude from which the name came being the grandson of the king of Ireland.

As for the franks, well, they shared this in common. I doubt there are many "Allisons" in Allinskia, or "Solaris" in Solaria, or "Raivas" in Raiven Empire.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #198: December 16, 2011, 03:55:50 AM »
Brecheniauc was a kingdom? I can't really find much with a quick google search. All I find is a reference to it being a region in Wales, and the dude from which the name came being the grandson of the king of Ireland.

As for the franks, well, they shared this in common. I doubt there are many "Allisons" in Allinskia, or "Solaris" in Solaria, or "Raivas" in Raiven Empire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brychan

He renamed the Kingdom he inherited through his wife. Here is another one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwynllwg

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #199: December 16, 2011, 04:30:03 AM »

Any non-Welsh ones?

I'm actually kind of shocked its this hard to find Medieval kingdoms named after a person, but I think it may be historiography question.

What did Charlemagne rule over?

Carolingian France? Or do we just call it that? France? The Franks?

Or would it just have been called "The Kingdom of Charlemagne." My suspicion is that many "realm names" historically were probably just "Kingdom of XYZ," but historically are remembered otherwise.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #200: December 16, 2011, 04:32:54 AM »
Any non-Welsh ones?

I'm actually kind of shocked its this hard to find Medieval kingdoms named after a person, but I think it may be historiography question.

What did Charlemagne rule over?

Carolingian France? Or do we just call it that? France? The Franks?

Or would it just have been called "The Kingdom of Charlemagne." My suspicion is that many "realm names" historically were probably just "Kingdom of XYZ," but historically are remembered otherwise.

That was my thought also, but alas finding proof is proving rather difficult just goggling, and my library of History Texts currently lives a good 1000km away, so I can't refer to those either. It is slightly easier to find provinces named for prominent leaders, and cities of course.

Oooo found one the  Liechtenstein dynasty founded the Principlity of Liechtenstein. But the period of its creation is rather late 1700's.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 04:43:03 AM by De-Legro »

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #201: December 16, 2011, 04:46:41 AM »

The first one looks rather sketchy, sounds more like mythology than history. It also doesn't point out if he named the town after himself or himself after the town. Because, after all, family names weren't passed down as they are now. They weren't really "family" names at all.

The second does specify it, but it also don't give any sources whatsoever. Welsh might be oddballs, though, and I'm a little surprised that Wales could even be made up of multiple kindoms itself. According to their national archives site, Glywys was ruler of the kingdom of Glywysing.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #202: December 16, 2011, 04:53:42 AM »
The first one looks rather sketchy, sounds more like mythology than history. It also doesn't point out if he named the town after himself or himself after the town. Because, after all, family names weren't passed down as they are now. They weren't really "family" names at all.

The second does specify it, but it also don't give any sources whatsoever. Welsh might be oddballs, though, and I'm a little surprised that Wales could even be made up of multiple kindoms itself. According to their national archives site, Glywys was ruler of the kingdom of Glywysing.

Your history is terrible then. Wales as a nation is a modern thing. It was previously comprised of many small independent kingdoms. Really the English are responsible for uniting it as a single group. Scotland was the same, hell England was as well. Germany is a VERY modern uniting of Germanic Kingdoms.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #203: December 16, 2011, 05:06:27 AM »
Your history is terrible then. Wales as a nation is a modern thing. It was previously comprised of many small independent kingdoms. Really the English are responsible for uniting it as a single group. Scotland was the same, hell England was as well. Germany is a VERY modern uniting of Germanic Kingdoms.

Well, yea, I knew for Germany. I never said Germany was an anciant kingdom.

Wales was never given much importance in our history books, though, go figure.

Wales isn't a modern thing, though.

Gruffydd ap Llywelyn was recognised as king of Wales in 1057. Llywelyn ap Gruffydd's death in 1282 marked the completion of Edward I of England's conquest of Wales. The castles and town walls erected to ensure its permanence are now UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Owain Glyndŵr briefly restored independence to what was to become modern Wales, in the early 15th century.

So 11th century. I'll admit to not knowing much of the geopolitics of Europe between the Roman Empire and the 1200s or so. BM has or had a bunch of things that better fit 1500s and 1600s than the 500s, however, with the periods where kings had a lot more power among other things.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #204: December 16, 2011, 05:22:54 AM »
Well, yea, I knew for Germany. I never said Germany was an anciant kingdom.

Wales was never given much importance in our history books, though, go figure.

Wales isn't a modern thing, though.

So 11th century. I'll admit to not knowing much of the geopolitics of Europe between the Roman Empire and the 1200s or so. BM has or had a bunch of things that better fit 1500s and 1600s than the 500s, however, with the periods where kings had a lot more power among other things.

Gruffydd ap Llywelyn (c. 1007 – 1063/1064) was the ruler of all Wales from 1055 until his death, the only Welsh monarch able to make this boast. After which is was simply a dominion of England.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #205: December 16, 2011, 05:25:23 AM »
Gruffydd ap Llywelyn (c. 1007 – 1063/1064) was the ruler of all Wales from 1055 until his death, the only Welsh monarch able to make this boast. After which is was simply a dominion of England. Modern was perhaps the wrong wording, I was meaning that it was not a united geopolitical area from the ancient age.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #206: December 16, 2011, 06:36:26 AM »
That's not the point. Kingdoms weren't name after their king. Not in medieval Europe, at least. They were named after a bunch of other things, though, and these other things are what your RP can emulate.

I don't think Kingdom's were probably named after random nothingness either. Names that were made up just to sound neat.

Which means Terran, D'Hara, Barca, Aurvandil, Asylon, Caewyn, Corsanctum, Iashalur, Libero Empire, and Morek all have non-SMA names that shouldn't be allowed (unless there is something tied to their names I am unaware).
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #207: December 16, 2011, 06:48:27 AM »
I don't think Kingdom's were probably named after random nothingness either. Names that were made up just to sound neat.

Which means Terran, D'Hara, Barca, Aurvandil, Asylon, Caewyn, Corsanctum, Iashalur, Libero Empire, and Morek all have non-SMA names that shouldn't be allowed (unless there is something tied to their names I am unaware).

By that logic, all Dwilight religions aren't, because they doesn't have thousands of pages of theology written down for them. There's a steep difference between "was never clearly defined in authentic RP" and "could never be defined in authentic RP". This is a lightweight game, it's normal that there are blanks. In the absence of a defined reason, you just have to assume a proper one. When a reason is present or obvious, though, then you can judge whether it is proper or not. While we can debate on the dates of SMA, most of the things imposed by game mechanics (feudalism, for one) and encouraged/enforced by Tom over the years give a general timeframe of 1200-1650 Britain/France. I would be inclined to believe that Raivan Empire, Kabrinkia and Solaria are not SMA, since the only examples of naming a kingdom after one's name either: don't fit in that time period, were colonies and therefore not independant, orwere not actually named after the ruler's name but after someone else's, like a god's.

Raivan empire set quite a precedent, though, so I don't think it'd be fair to punish either of these now. I'm just disappointed now that I know the origin of Raivan Empire's name, I thought it was a reference to the birds, ravens. The SMA feel Dwi had when it first started sure feels gone now. It's just another continent where everything is done like everywhere else, now.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #208: December 16, 2011, 06:59:02 AM »

Indeed, most realms names had some sort of basis, be it the name of the tribe, a description of an important geographical feature or whatever.

By that logic, all Dwilight religions aren't, because they doesn't have thousands of pages of theology written down for them. There's a steep difference between "was never clearly defined in authentic RP" and "could never be defined in authentic RP". This is a lightweight game, it's normal that there are blanks. In the absence of a defined reason, you just have to assume a proper one. When a reason is present or obvious, though, then you can judge whether it is proper or not. While we can debate on the dates of SMA, most of the things imposed by game mechanics (feudalism, for one) and encouraged/enforced by Tom over the years give a general timeframe of 1200-1650 Britain/France. I would be inclined to believe that Raivan Empire, Kabrinkia and Solaria are not SMA, since the only examples of naming a kingdom after one's name either: don't fit in that time period, were colonies and therefore not independant, orwere not actually named after the ruler's name but after someone else's, like a god's.

Heavy theology tends to come after the founding of a religion, and though many of the prominent religions like to record their theology, that is by no means universal. The bulk of Christian Theology for example was written well after Christianity was established as some form of religious fellowship.

Raivan empire set quite a precedent, though, so I don't think it'd be fair to punish either of these now. I'm just disappointed now that I know the origin of Raivan Empire's name, I thought it was a reference to the birds, ravens. The SMA feel Dwi had when it first started sure feels gone now. It's just another continent where everything is done like everywhere else, now.

First, you are in a realm called D'Hara for gods sake. That realm name is a far greater crime. Secondly I don't really feel SMA has been broken at all. The interaction in the realms I play in is still very SMA. I think some people simply have interpreted SMA to be more binding and overarching then it is.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 07:02:03 AM by De-Legro »

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #209: December 16, 2011, 07:17:02 AM »
I never like D'Hara as a name, though it took me a while to actually know where it came from.

The SMA rules are pretty clear. And their enforcement was zealous and brutal at first. I got a lightning bolt myself for cracking an OOC joke at Toren.

If Dwi is still SMA, then every other realm I've been in contact with for the last two years also was, or was pretty damn close save for a non-standard name or two.

As for "most realms had a basis", well I don't think a single realm on Dwi has RPed that "they took the name at random, out of nowhere". They haven't mentionned what the reason is, but their RP didn't say there wasn't. And since the golden rule of RP is that facts are determined by whoever RPed them first, I'll help you out:

The name of D'Hara was inspired after the name of a local prince in the legends of the native dwili people. Prince Dar of the Hili was the heroic navigator who helped the tribe leave the barren lands of the East after a long drought in order to live a more prosperoud life from sea fishing. He guided the settlement of fishing towns on the isles, and is said to have been honored with a great luxurious tomb somewhere on one of the islands. This is why the islands are sometimes called "Tomb Islands", and why the new kingdom was named D'Hara.

See? RP reason given. This was the reason all along, it's just that nobody ever bothered to actually ask.

*Huge* difference between: 1) failing to state the reason for your realm name, 2) stating officially that the realm name was chosen at random, and 3) naming the realm after something it wouldn't have been named after during the reference period in the reference culture.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 07:26:37 AM by Chénier »