Author Topic: Lurian News  (Read 56167 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Lurian News
« Reply #210: December 16, 2011, 07:53:51 AM »
See? RP reason given. This was the reason all along, it's just that nobody ever bothered to actually ask.

*Huge* difference between: 1) failing to state the reason for your realm name, 2) stating officially that the realm name was chosen at random, and 3) naming the realm after something it wouldn't have been named after during the reference period in the reference culture.

So if I made up a wiki page and wrote a completely fictional myth about a person named, say, Thomas Malthus Solari who had a paranoia about population growth, then founded a realm called Solaria in honor of that clear reference to other fantasy worlds (similar to D'Hara), that would be better RP and more SMA than a hubristic noble naming a realm after his family?

That's preposterous.

Look up the word "Dynasty." Bam. There you have it. That's what Solaria is: the Solari Dynasty. Will it always be a Solari ruling it? Maybe not. Many historical dynasties got co-opted by other groups, one way and another.

I really have no idea what your poo-pooing is based on.

Up until the 17th or 18th century "France" didn't mean France; it meant the province of Île-de-France. So what was the French King called?

Let's look at Charlemagne:
"Charles, most serene Augustus crowned by God, the great, peaceful emperor ruling the Roman empire"
"King of the Franks"

What is Arthur?
King of the Britons

What was the Byzantine Emperor?
"Basil, in Christ, Emperor and Autocrat of the Romans"
Or, according to Westerners,
"Emperor of the Greeks"

---

Let's be clear.

Realms aren't SMA by your standards. Realms as a unity, clearly definable, stable state were the exception in the Middle Ages, a subject of constant contest.

Titles referred to people groups. There was no "King of France;" there was a "King of the Franks."

So arguing about the names of realms is foolish: most "realms" had no names. Even "realms" with clear names (like the Holy Roman Empire) still were not so clear in their titles.

So leave off the guy about a name that actually relates to endogenous BM culture. It's better than your importing some kind of annoyingly obscure cossack title that nobody can write or pronounce; his actually stems from IG RP rather than being a projection on it.

Forgive my sass, but this argument is total nonsense. We're arguing about a concept that didn't exist for Medieval peoples or nobles.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #211: December 16, 2011, 08:00:31 AM »
So if I made up a wiki page and wrote a completely fictional myth about a person named, say, Thomas Malthus Solari who had a paranoia about population growth, then founded a realm called Solaria in honor of that clear reference to other fantasy worlds (similar to D'Hara), that would be better RP and more SMA than a hubristic noble naming a realm after his family?

That's preposterous.

Look up the word "Dynasty." Bam. There you have it. That's what Solaria is: the Solari Dynasty. Will it always be a Solari ruling it? Maybe not. Many historical dynasties got co-opted by other groups, one way and another.

Up until the 17th or 18th century "France" didn't mean France; it meant the province of Île-de-France. So what was the French King called?

"Charles, most serene Augustus crowned by God, the great, peaceful emperor ruling the Roman empire"
"King of the Franks"

What is Arthur?
King of the Britons

"Emperor of the Greeks"

---

Let's be clear.

Realms aren't SMA by your standards. Realms as a unity, clearly definable, stable state were the exception in the Middle Ages, a subject of constant contest.

Titles referred to people groups. There was no "King of France;" there was a "King of the Franks."

So arguing about the names of realms is foolish: most "realms" had no names. Even "realms" with clear names (like the Holy Roman Empire) still were not so clear in their titles.

So leave off the guy about a name that actually relates to endogenous BM culture. It's better than your importing some kind of annoyingly obscure cossack title that nobody can write or pronounce; his actually stems from IG RP rather than being a projection on it.

Forgive my sass, but this argument is total nonsense. We're arguing about a concept that didn't exist for Medieval peoples or nobles.

Thanks Vellos, that is what I was trying to get at, but you put it much better.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #212: December 16, 2011, 08:03:34 AM »
By that logic,

It isn't my logic, it's yours. You're the one who said they have to be named after something that realms were actually named after in the medieval period. Now you're applying it to religions to. It's your logic.

Raivan empire set quite a precedent, though, so I don't think it'd be fair to punish either of these now. I'm just disappointed now that I know the origin of Raivan Empire's name, I thought it was a reference to the birds, ravens. The SMA feel Dwi had when it first started sure feels gone now. It's just another continent where everything is done like everywhere else, now.

You're disappointed to learn it wasn't named after ravens? So your more comfortable, SMA-wise, with someone naming their realm after an animal than themselves? What cases in Medieval Europe are there of kingdoms/nations named after animals? You would be cool, in an SMA sense, with my new realm called The Holy Humming-Birdian Empire?
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #213: December 16, 2011, 08:05:20 AM »
It isn't my logic, it's yours. You're the one who said they have to be named after something that realms were actually named after in the medieval period. Now you're applying it to religions to. It's your logic.

You're disappointed to learn it wasn't named after ravens? So your more comfortable, SMA-wise, with someone naming their realm after an animal than themselves? What cases in Medieval Europe are there of kingdoms/nations named after animals? You would be cool, in an SMA sense, with my new realm called The Holy Humming-Birdian Empire?

How about the Glorious Realm of Elephanarians :)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #214: December 16, 2011, 08:20:02 AM »

That's preposterous.

The other fantasy world is alien to the BM world. No  BM character knows anything about other fantasy worlds, unless you want to RP it as a myth or something. So yes, it would be more SMA to name the name Tatooine than to name it Solario. Is Tatooine a good name? No. But it's more SMA, because at least you can make up a reason for it that satisfies SMA criteria. Solaria is an explicit reference to the name of the ruler. Something that just wasn't done in the reference culture.

If you want, though, we may as well just go delete all of the various lore people wrote on Dwilight's pre-colonization history. After all, it's all just people spewing !@#$ out of their ass, right?

I very well know what a dynasty is. And BM realms are NOT dynasties. A dynasty is a lineage of rulers. Change the lineage? Change the dynasty. BM realms can't change names upon a ruler change, however.

"King of the Franks"

What is Arthur?
King of the Britons

"Emperor of the Greeks"

---

Let's be clear.

The slippery slopes arguments are really getting overused. Who lives in France? The Franks. Where do the britons live? In Britain. People are named after the land they live off, and lands are named after the people who live off of them. Formal titles may differ. The key difference, though, is that SMA works within the parameters of the game. You cannot RP against game mechanics, that is not what SMA is about. Therefore, when considering what complies to SMA or not, you must consider what the game allows to be conform to what would exist in the reference period. There's no point in debating about titles being off the land instead of the people because the game allows for nothing else.

Good grief, dude. BT isn't SMA, I don't *have* to justify anything about my RP there. You don't like Fheuv'n? See if I care. Your diatribe against it is of no relevance to this discussion.

No, it's yours. I never suggested that lack of something being defined was anti-SMA, you did. I said realms should be named off things they could be named of. I did not say that this reason needed to be defined through RP by anyone at any time. Why? Because this is a lightweight game.

Yea, because there's a ton of different ways you could justify that. Some nations in the reference time (though maybe not area) were named after, for example, deities. European paganism, as far as I know, gave enough importance to animals. I could totally see some mythical reason being made up to justify such a thing.

And again, there's a difference between a good name and a SMA name. Want the Holy Humming-Birdian Empire? RP it correctly and it'll satisfy SMA criterias as I see them. I'll still think, as a player, that it sucks however.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #215: December 16, 2011, 11:12:41 AM »

And again, there's a difference between a good name and a SMA name. Want the Holy Humming-Birdian Empire? RP it correctly and it'll satisfy SMA criterias as I see them. I'll still think, as a player, that it sucks however.

No,the SMA criteria, It says no silly names, the Holy Humming-Birdian Empire certainly qualifies as silly, no matter the RP excuse you try to inflict upon the world. The SMA also says nothing about borrowing names from other sources.

• No nonsense. If you want to pray to the holy Doughnut, roleplay you are a vampire or include a reference to South Park into every letter, then BattleMaster might not be the game for you, and wherever we look for a serious medieval atmosphere, you are very much not welcome.
  • No silly names. Not for your character, not for your unit. Just don't.

Nonsense, "Fun" and Silly Names
We all play to have fun, but there is a difference between humour and slapstick. In a serious medieval atmosphere, there is still place for humour - the witty kind that nobles would use. There is no place for humour of the "US college comedy movie" kind.
Likewise, we don't want to see anyone named "Darth Vader" or a unit called "=={XCW}== Da Cr8z1es". Names are important in a medieval world, and should be real. Some realms on other islands have a "funny" atmosphere to it. Vikings are fine, but they aren't just crazy lunatics, and you can properly roleplay a viking realm. Outer Tilog, well OT is unique. Don't try to copy it, especially not where we are looking for serious medieval atmosphere.
Names don't have to be "real" (as in: Someone was really named that), but should be acceptable as a name that someone could possibly have, in a european place. The Name Change Failed page includes a list of names and naming styles to avoid.

The only other part of SMA that could apply would be

Behave like a real, living noble. Among other things that means valuing your honour, being at least a little afraid of pain and death (you don't have to be a sissy), having likes, dislikes and ambitions. Also treating commoners (including adventurers) like the pig-farmers they are.

As I have already provided examples of Kingdoms that were named after a ruler, it would seem that they have behaved exactly like some RL nobility did. People might not personally like the names picked, but I can't see a single thing that would rule them out of SMA.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #216: December 16, 2011, 12:03:43 PM »
Ooh, play like a noble...

So incest is totally SMA.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #217: December 16, 2011, 12:29:42 PM »
Ooh, play like a noble...

So incest is totally SMA.

Totally, insanity and complete incompetence is also SMA. If you want bonus points, combine all 3.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #218: December 16, 2011, 12:48:10 PM »
That explains so very much...

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219: December 16, 2011, 02:52:39 PM »
Yea, because there's a ton of different ways you could justify that. Some nations in the reference time (though maybe not area) were named after, for example, deities. European paganism, as far as I know, gave enough importance to animals. I could totally see some mythical reason being made up to justify such a thing.
You stated that you needed RL examples of nations named after their rulers before you would accept them as SMA. Therefore, in order to justify your position of realms named after animals to be SMA, you must therefore supply examples of RL nations being named after animals.

If you're going to demand that other people do something, then you should be prepared to do the same thing yourself. Fair's fair, after all.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #220: December 16, 2011, 04:40:56 PM »
I'm not sure why I'm being singled out in examples here, but thanks for the comparison to Malthus!  8)

My view: BM is light fantasy. Dwilight is SMA.  We can go back and forth about what that means in the context of "light fantasy", but self-referential names for realms seems like small potatoes.  Creating elaborate back stories and mythologies around realms is fun, but I'm not interested in that level of "artistic control".  I play BM the way I want it to be: simpler, livelier and more interactive.  If you can build that great experience with a detailed story and planning, great!  I'd rather the character be the hub around which the history and culture of the realm are made.  The life of Malus becomes the prologue and opening chapters to the realm's novel.  Hence, Solaria. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 04:45:24 PM by Solari »

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #221: December 16, 2011, 04:49:39 PM »
Therefore, in order to justify your position of realms named after animals to be SMA, you must therefore supply examples of RL nations being named after animals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bern#Name

In BM terms, Bern was probably close to a realm. It had its independent army, was allied to other Swiss cantons (you couldn't call Switzerland a realm by any stretch in its early era) and had other cities as vassals. Of course, things like the HRE are badly represented in BM, so it's not a realm in the same sense as France or England were.

I also got the following from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_country-name_etymologies

Spain = "Island of Hyraxes"

Azerbaijan = "Land of Aturpat", a Hellenistic-era king
Czech republic = The traditional etymology derives it from an eponymous leader Čech who led the tribe into Bohemia. Modern theories consider it an obscure derivative
Georgia = identified in folk etymology to St-Georges
Liechtenstein = as already mentioned, named after the prince of Liechtenstein (and not the other way around)
Mauritius= Named Prins Maurits van Nassaueiland in 1598 after Maurice of Nassau

After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #222: December 16, 2011, 05:05:38 PM »
...a bunch of stuff about nations named after people...
I'm not sure why you quoted my post about nations named after animals for that... Mistake?

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #223: December 16, 2011, 05:17:55 PM »
I'm not sure why you quoted my post about nations named after animals for that... Mistake?

Bern was named after bears. Spain means Land of Hyraxes, where hyraxes are a kind of african animal that look halfway betweena  rabbit and a woodchuck (maybe someone who has actually seen one can give a better description?).
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #224: December 16, 2011, 06:14:57 PM »
Well, that makes sense then. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyraxes - a "fairly small, thickset, herbivorous mammals".

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etymology_of_Spain#Etymology the derivation is disputed. Of the several derivations given, only one makes a possible reference to "land of rabbits".

Bern is a city, not a nation. The origins also are disputed: "The etymology of the name Bern is uncertain. According to the local legend, based on folk etymology, Berchtold V, Duke of Zähringen, the founder of the city of Bern, vowed to name the city after the first animal he met on the hunt, and this turned out to be a bear. It has long been considered likely that the city was named after the Italian city of Verona, which at the time was known as Bern in Middle High German" So, yeah, maybe it was named after a bear, maybe it wasn't.