Author Topic: Lurian News  (Read 55910 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Lurian News
« Reply #225: December 16, 2011, 06:41:44 PM »
Whatever the case, I would say it's fair to name a realm after an animal if that animal has some kind of RPed cultural significance. Seems a plausible enough thing to do.

A better practice, of course, would be to name realms off of people groups; either of the nobles or of the commoners. As Dwilight does have a formal geography, and is developing an ethnography, this is plausible.

But, honestly, it doesn't matter that much. Realm names are historically dubious. In a few years, Solaria and Kabrinskia will just be realm names, like any other.

Also, there are several precedents:

Kronos' Burg, Atamara
Soliferum, FEI
Raivan Empire, Dwilight
Valhus, Beluaterra
Luz de Bia, Beluaterra
Lemundia, Beluaterra
Capashinia, Atamara

And those are just the ones I am sure about. There may be more.

Naming the realm after yourself is probably one of BM's most common naming conventions, after "Location Name" and "Succession Names."
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

egamma

« Reply #226: December 16, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
"I can't believe it's not butter".

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #227: December 16, 2011, 08:18:25 PM »
"I can't believe it's not butter".

I didn't cite that one, because names like that are not any kind of longstanding BM tradition, and were even decried at the time.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228: December 16, 2011, 08:46:34 PM »
Yes it was decried by many players, but it wan't punished in any way. (That I can remember.)

But it was also an Atamara, home of giant badger invasions, rock bands playing at tournaments, goat worshipers, and pink-tutu-wearing vikings. So, altogether a bad example...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 09:41:03 PM by Indirik »
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

egamma

« Reply #229: December 16, 2011, 09:38:07 PM »
Yes, I just think it's funny.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #230: December 17, 2011, 06:26:40 AM »
Also, there are several precedents:

Kronos' Burg, Atamara
Soliferum, FEI
Raivan Empire, Dwilight
Valhus, Beluaterra
Luz de Bia, Beluaterra
Lemundia, Beluaterra
Capashinia, Atamara

And those are just the ones I am sure about. There may be more.

Kindara, FEI

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #231: December 17, 2011, 12:10:24 PM »
Well, that makes sense then. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyraxes - a "fairly small, thickset, herbivorous mammals".

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etymology_of_Spain#Etymology the derivation is disputed. Of the several derivations given, only one makes a possible reference to "land of rabbits".

Bern is a city, not a nation.

BM doesn't do nationalism. Bern was not only a city; its territory extended hundreds of kilometers, and it had other cities as its vassals. I would call it a realm. Naming a realm after its capital city is also a tradition, of course.

But we're splitting hairs here.  :D

The origins also are disputed: "The etymology of the name Bern is uncertain. According to the local legend, based on folk etymology, Berchtold V, Duke of Zähringen, the founder of the city of Bern, vowed to name the city after the first animal he met on the hunt, and this turned out to be a bear. It has long been considered likely that the city was named after the Italian city of Verona, which at the time was known as Bern in Middle High German" So, yeah, maybe it was named after a bear, maybe it wasn't.

"The etymology of the name Kabrinskia is uncertain. According to the local legend, based on folk etymology, Allison "Kabrinski", the first Duchess of Golden Farrow after the barbarian era, vowed to name the city after her own name. It has long been considered more likely that the realm and the Duchess were named after the Italian city of Capri, which at the time was known as Kabri in Middle High German"
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #232: December 17, 2011, 01:28:47 PM »

"The etymology of the name Kabrinskia is uncertain. According to the local legend, based on folk etymology, Allison "Kabrinski", the first Duchess of Golden Farrow after the barbarian era, vowed to name the city after her own name. It has long been considered more likely that the realm and the Duchess were named after the Italian city of Capri, which at the time was known as Kabri in Middle High German"

Italy? What the hell is that? (IC :P)

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #233: December 17, 2011, 04:16:45 PM »
Middle High German? Is that the name of a school?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234: December 18, 2011, 04:29:03 AM »
"The etymology of the name Kabrinskia is uncertain."
Actually, it's not. Allison told the rulers that she named it after herself. :P

For the record, i don't think it's against SMA. I don't really care for it, though.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #235: December 18, 2011, 06:13:09 AM »
Yes it was decried by many players, but it wan't punished in any way. (That I can remember.)

But it was also an Atamara, home of giant badger invasions, rock bands playing at tournaments, goat worshipers, and pink-tutu-wearing vikings. So, altogether a bad example...

And people say Atamara has no personality. :) I have no regrets about playing there.

Okay, one regret: In hind sight, it was a bad idea to fight the Redspaniel army during a windy day. We shouldn't have done that.

men in kilts + no underwear + wind = a lifetime of mental scarring
------
qui audet vincit

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #236: December 18, 2011, 06:40:26 AM »
Actually, it's not. Allison told the rulers that she named it after herself. :P

For the record, i don't think it's against SMA. I don't really care for it, though.

You didn't get what vonGenf was trying to say...

vonGenf was saying that the reasons for real life realms being named the way they are often gets confused or reasoned a different way by history. So the same could be said (IC) about Kabrinskia. Eventually, when the nobles that currently inhabit Kabrinskia changes up a bit as usually happens in realms, the people new to the realm will probably not even know the origins of the name. That or will have been told a certain IC explanation that may or may not contain the truth. What was once common knowledge slowly becomes murky history, then legend, on into a myth.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #237: December 18, 2011, 12:44:29 PM »
Eh heh heh...That happens over the course of decades in real life. Often centuries.

In BM, that ain't happening. Nope. Sure you can have a bunch of dudes claiming all they want until they bleed lies out their zit pores, but in the course of only a few years, people will keep records. And that is further enhanced by the fact that messages can be stored forever on someone's desktop.

For example, I saved a copy of this dude called Asriel Octavius as he said some godawfully idiotic things to the Zuma, leading to their attack on D'Hara, way back like two years ago. I sometimes bring it up ICly because duh, I was there, I actually read the messages. Nothing wrong with saving those messages forever on your desktop and USB drive and recalling them whenever you want. It makes for lolworthy chuckles.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #238: December 18, 2011, 12:47:33 PM »
You didn't get what vonGenf was trying to say...

vonGenf was saying that the reasons for real life realms being named the way they are often gets confused or reasoned a different way by history. So the same could be said (IC) about Kabrinskia. Eventually, when the nobles that currently inhabit Kabrinskia changes up a bit as usually happens in realms, the people new to the realm will probably not even know the origins of the name. That or will have been told a certain IC explanation that may or may not contain the truth. What was once common knowledge slowly becomes murky history, then legend, on into a myth.

That's right. The consequence of that is that, in the middle ages, it would have been seen as normal to name a realm after a person, because they have all these examples of realms that they think have been named after people, even though we now know most of these to be false etymologies and folk tales.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #239: December 18, 2011, 08:14:04 PM »
People have very short memories and vast tracks of Dwilight history are poorly understood and twisted. Take the whole Thulsoman debacle from foundation to destruction, there is tonnes of different opinion and memory of that one small insignificant region. I am suprised how quickly BM history becomes diluted and changed by all sorts of propaganda and mythology.
We live lives in beautiful lies...