Author Topic: Family aid  (Read 6906 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Family aid
« Topic Start: August 23, 2011, 07:32:58 AM »
Does it consider your bonds when determining whether or not you can call upon family aid?

Kind of silly when you are outside of your realm, and then a tax gives you a bunch of bonds that prevent you from calling upon family aid to pay your men.

Perhaps it should only consider your bonds when you are in your own lands?

But honestly, why does it care how much gold you have on you anyways? It's gold one had taken out of his pockets to send to the mansion anyhow.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Jens Namtrah

Re: Family aid
« Reply #1: August 23, 2011, 08:02:01 AM »
Does it consider your bonds when determining whether or not you can call upon family aid?

yes, it does

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 23, 2011, 08:05:27 AM »
yes, it does

I knew I should have called on that family aid earlier...  >:(

Stupid that a day ago I could call on family aid, and today I can't, even if I don't have a penny more in my pockets to pay my men.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 23, 2011, 08:07:32 AM »

Kind of silly when you are outside of your realm, and then a tax gives you a bunch of bonds that prevent you from calling upon family aid to pay your men.

Perhaps it should only consider your bonds when you are in your own lands?

But honestly, why does it care how much gold you have on you anyways? It's gold one had taken out of his pockets to send to the mansion anyhow.

It might be, or it might be the gold OTHERS in your family have sent back. Whatever the case the gold is no longer the property of those that earned it and is now free to be distributed according to the whims of the crazy old patriarch in the family home.

I would suggest that if you are outside your realm, and require family aid to pay your men, you planned poorly and don't necessarily deserve a "save my unit" button.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #4: August 23, 2011, 10:11:24 AM »
It might be, or it might be the gold OTHERS in your family have sent back. Whatever the case the gold is no longer the property of those that earned it and is now free to be distributed according to the whims of the crazy old patriarch in the family home.

I would suggest that if you are outside your realm, and require family aid to pay your men, you planned poorly and don't necessarily deserve a "save my unit" button.

Well, yes and no.

The "save my unit" button is PART of the planning, and a privilege of being wealthy. The problem comes when you use it to stay away for extended periods, and then taxes are called leaving you with useless bonds that block you.

Fortunately, we can always loot  8)    (except for those of you unlucky enough to have a "mob" of 20 peasants blocks 800 fighting men repeatedly  ::) )

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 23, 2011, 12:37:09 PM »
Well, yes and no.

The "save my unit" button is PART of the planning, and a privilege of being wealthy. The problem comes when you use it to stay away for extended periods, and then taxes are called leaving you with useless bonds that block you.

Fortunately, we can always loot  8)    (except for those of you unlucky enough to have a "mob" of 20 peasants blocks 800 fighting men repeatedly  ::) )

Oh you know how it is, our fighting men get swords and bows, our peasents get Lightsabers, Machine guns and tanks....
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 23, 2011, 03:13:38 PM »

The patriachs are living at my characters' financial mercy. You'd think that they'd think about it twice before refusing a loan.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 23, 2011, 03:15:33 PM »
Show that freeloading family who's the boss. Time to cut off the gravy train, and stop sending money home to your family. That will teach them to refuse you a loan when you want one.   >:(
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 23, 2011, 03:25:20 PM »
Show that freeloading family who's the boss. Time to cut off the gravy train, and stop sending money home to your family. That will teach them to refuse you a loan when you want one.   >:(

It clearly won't.

So does anyone mind explaining what the reasoning behind these restrictions are? Or are they just there to !@#$ us over, like many other senseless restrictions we have in this game?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 23, 2011, 03:27:27 PM »
Or are they just there to !@#$ us over, like many other senseless restrictions we have in this game?
I'm betting it's this. We hate the players. Go away, please.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 23, 2011, 03:31:18 PM »
I'm betting it's this. We hate the players. Go away, please.

While I overall appreciate the game, that does not prevent me from thinking there are senseless mechanics or restrictions here and there. Stuff, while not coded with malign intent, just aren't justifiable on either the realism nor the gameplay level.

I've never been a "everything I like is totally perfect" kind of person. This is nothing new.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 23, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
There are plenty of things I don't like, either.

But when I want them changed, I don't toss around gratuitous insults about how the dev team is evil/stupid/lazy/incompetent/blind/etc.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 23, 2011, 03:52:02 PM »
So does anyone mind explaining what the reasoning behind these restrictions are? Or are they just there to !@#$ us over, like many other senseless restrictions we have in this game?

What? You mean you didn't know that was our master plan?

We don't actually like coding for BattleMaster, so we want to make it as miserable as possible, so everyone will leave.

I'm surprised you of all people hadn't figured that out already.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 23, 2011, 03:55:16 PM »
There are plenty of things I don't like, either.

But when I want them changed, I don't toss around gratuitous insults about how the dev team is evil/stupid/lazy/incompetent/blind/etc.

My apologies to the tone, but it was a response to your ever so helpful suggestion.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: August 23, 2011, 04:09:13 PM »
Without knowing the exact reasons behind this, I would imagine it comes from one of two place:
  • It may never have been considered when the code was written that bonds and gold should be differentiated, especially when outside the realm.
  • The counting of both gold and bonds may have been intentional in order to discourage long, and long range, military expeditions outside your realm. Bring enough with you for the whole trip, and thus risk getting captured and having it taken, or don't go at all.