Author Topic: New Player Retention  (Read 20408 times)

Gustav Kuriga

Re: New Player Retention
« Reply #30: May 31, 2011, 08:41:01 PM »
Well, yeah, if you are stupid enough to force it on players. I mean to just have it there as a non-mandatory learning resource. Instead of making mistakes in the harshly unforgiving actual game, they can have one character on newb island (not counting against his character count and being completely voluntary, no annoying flags on the page saying the new player should start on newb island) to experiment game mechanics and such with, seeing what effect they have and what all the menus show.

Also, perhaps the chat could be real-time? This would help immensely, especially since most new players would not know about the irc channels (or might even be playing via phone, like me, and so not be able to use irc). That way they can ask for help on cerrtain issues when they come up and get immediate answers. Just so we are clear, there would either be only one or no realms on newb island. That way it doesn't just become a griefing ground with realms of experienced players trouncing newbs.

Please read prior posts before making a comment. I know there is an IRC channel. But ask yourself, how long do most new players go without knowing about the IRC? I went a year without knowing about it when I began. Since I mostly play via phone, I have never used it.