Author Topic: Selective Automatic Trade Offers  (Read 8527 times)

cjnodell

Selective Automatic Trade Offers
« Topic Start: September 07, 2011, 06:23:49 AM »
It would be nice if it were possible to have the warehouse sell all food over X bushels for X gold per 100 bushels but only to region X. Or to buy all food when under X bushels for X gold per 100 bushels but only from region X.

egamma

Re: Selective Automatic Trade Offers
« Reply #1: September 07, 2011, 06:27:41 AM »
It would be nice if it were possible to have the warehouse sell all food over X bushels for X gold per 100 bushels but only to region X. Or to buy all food when under X bushels for X gold per 100 bushels but only from region X.

Request granted! *poof*

In test, you can set up either a manual or auto caravan to sell all food over a x amount, for a price of Y gold, to region Z. Or send an auto caravan to buy food from a specific region.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 07, 2011, 07:31:59 AM »
what happens to traders?
firefox

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 07, 2011, 07:40:19 AM »
what happens to traders?

The same thing that happened to them when Lords got manual caravans?
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 07, 2011, 07:45:23 AM »
they can still trade when there are caravans. more difficult in a way but can still trade.. but if offers are only for specific regions, they can't.

unless specific region thing allows any traders to fulfil them.
firefox

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 07, 2011, 07:59:36 AM »
they can still trade when there are caravans. more difficult in a way but can still trade.. but if offers are only for specific regions, they can't.

unless specific region thing allows any traders to fulfil them.

Well, it isn't quite how egamma said. I can set up a auto caravan to send food to region X, at price Y whenever I have more then Z food. However region X can't setup a buy order just for me. They COULD set up a caravan to visit my region to buy food at price Y whenever their warehouse drops below whatever level, but then I can't set up a sell order just for them. So either way one of the regions will still have to have a normal buy/sell order set.

egamma

« Reply #6: September 07, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »
Well, it isn't quite how egamma said. I can set up a auto caravan to send food to region X, at price Y whenever I have more then Z food. However region X can't setup a buy order just for me. They COULD set up a caravan to visit my region to buy food at price Y whenever their warehouse drops below whatever level, but then I can't set up a sell order just for them. So either way one of the regions will still have to have a normal buy/sell order set.

Correct. One of the regions would have to have an open warehouse, and the other would send the caravans.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 07, 2011, 02:45:21 PM »

We are considering such limited buy/sell offers; however, we haven't decided yet if they're really worth it.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

cjnodell

« Reply #8: September 07, 2011, 03:18:12 PM »
Request granted! *poof*

In test, you can set up either a manual or auto caravan to sell all food over a x amount, for a price of Y gold, to region Z. Or send an auto caravan to buy food from a specific region.

Yes you can order a caravan to automatically buy food from a specific region but that region must have a sell offer. That sell offer can not, to my knowledge, be specific to a region. The same applies in reverse.

cjnodell

« Reply #9: September 07, 2011, 03:21:34 PM »
We are considering such limited buy/sell offers; however, we haven't decided yet if they're really worth it.

In Barca we want to set up an automated food distribution internally but require that all outsiders buy/sell from the capital. There is no way of automating this to my knowldge. Here is what i mean (taken from an in game message):

"""
One possibility is to have each region lord set a standing sell order and have Rettleville send our caravans after each harvest to collect the food. On the plus side the system would be very streamlined and require little management once in place. On the down side it is possible for other realms to buy out the food from our regions before he caravans from Barca get there.

Another option is for each region to automatically send a caravan with all excess food to Rettleville while I establish a standing buy offer. Once again this would be very manageable but there is the possibility of traders selling me food I do not want resulting in the loss of much needed gold.

Yet another option is for each region to automatically send our caravans each harvest with instructions to give all excess food to Rettleville. This would be very manageable for the region lords and would ensure that no food is bought or sold by outsiders unexpectedness. Unfortunately this would require me to manually pay each senator for their contributions.
"""
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 03:26:27 PM by Pelgart »

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: September 07, 2011, 03:21:38 PM »
If you wish to trade with only one region, then run your caravans the other way. Have the desired recipient post Auto-Buy orders. Then have your region send caravans there with Sell orders.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

cjnodell

« Reply #11: September 07, 2011, 03:25:37 PM »
If you wish to trade with only one region, then run your caravans the other way. Have the desired recipient post Auto-Buy orders. Then have your region send caravans there with Sell orders.

True but then we run the risk of some caravan stopping buy and selling me food that I do not want and I would then be short gold I do need. That was option two that I listed above.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: September 07, 2011, 03:28:40 PM »
True but then we run the risk of some caravan stopping buy and selling me food that I do not want and I would then be short gold I do need. That was option two that I listed above.

This is exactly why I don't support this idea. Restricted trade to this level reduces the utility of Traders and reduces some of the risk involved in the food game. I prefer the current system where you either keep complete control and use ox carts, or you enter the market and take risks.

cjnodell

« Reply #13: September 07, 2011, 03:29:47 PM »
I forgot to mention that, for the time being, we settled on having each region to automatically send out caravans each harvest with instructions to give all excess food to Rettleville. This would be very manageable for the region lords and would ensure that no food is bought or sold by outsiders unexpectedly. Unfortunately this will require me to manually pay each senator for their contributions (option three from above). With a selective buy offers I could have an offer for each region and then have the region lords send normal caravans (not give) and everything, including payment) would be good to go.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: September 07, 2011, 03:30:57 PM »
Sheesh....

Have the buyer use manual Buy orders, so that he only buys what he can afford. If you only want to buy 100 bushels this week, then set a manual Buy order for 1000 bushels. That way you don't have to worry about buying too much food.

Is setting up a Buy order once a week too much trouble? Then appoint a steward to do it for you!

But seriously, is the possibility of someone selling you *too much* food really that much of a worry? I wish I had to worry about that...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.