Author Topic: New Estate System  (Read 115473 times)

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: New Estate System
« Reply #285: September 27, 2011, 11:43:40 AM »
Today we received a report for a region that because of the lack of knights, region control was reduced. Personally I was under the impression that a region could be kept under control, just with lower tax income by only a lord. Is my impression wrong of the new system or is this event still something from the old system?

Maf: Lack of knights reduces region control.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 11:52:55 AM by D`Este »

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #286: September 27, 2011, 12:00:58 PM »
Alright.  It's been established that a region has to border a duchy to join it.  I understand that.  It's how things currently are.

My question is this:

If a duchy loses all its regions (the Duke wasn't a lord), how does it get regions without being named a lord?  As a region automatically goes to a duchy that borders it, how would a landless duke be granted a lordship?

Could a landless Duke go to a territory and the lord there pledge to him, switching duchies that way for those that lack regions?

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #287: September 27, 2011, 12:52:36 PM »
I *assume* any Lord can change allegiances to any Duchy that borders him, but also to any landless Duchy that exists.

Today we received a report for a region that because of the lack of knights, region control was reduced. Personally I was under the impression that a region could be kept under control, just with lower tax income by only a lord. Is my impression wrong of the new system or is this event still something from the old system?

From the Wiki:

An estate is a part of a region, currently defined abstractly as a percentage part of the region (e.g. 20% of the region of Keplerville). Everyone can have at most one estate, and the size of estates is limited. There are minimum and maximum sizes that depend on the region type and size. The minimum sizes go from 5% to 20% while the maximum sizes go from 30% to 50%. So every region will need 2-4 knights (of which the lord can be one) to cover it entirely.

Covering it entirely referring to Taxes. The Lord can act as a Knight from what I understand of this text. Has the Lord of that region tried to set up an Estate and act as a Knight of his region like that?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 12:56:11 PM by Telrunya »

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #288: September 27, 2011, 01:45:14 PM »
yes, but apparently the duchy-assignement is broken.

Has it been revealed how the game will decide to which duchy belongs regions that are TOed?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289: September 27, 2011, 02:18:13 PM »
A banker's access to food data isn't anymore than a Duke already has
Correction: A banker can see a composite of all the information that is available to all the dukes put together. No offense meant here, but as the banker of Pian en Luries, you have the small city of Poryatown and the medium city of Askileon to feed. Not exactly a difficult task, especially when your realm has a 150-160% food supply. In such a case I can see how the banker's job would seem to be a bit... superfluous.

However, when your realm grows a bit bigger, you will appreciate the overall view that the banker has. Try feeding a realm of 5 or 6 duchies on a food supply of just over break-even, and you will see how vitally important that banker's overview is.

What is the point of even having a banker any more right now? Unless, we create like a realm bank system where all of the "ruler's share" goes into a bank vault that a banker can distribute and use in place of the ruler or something, there is no point in having a banker. Or if lords are given the option to let the banker have control once again of their food stores directly, I don't see why we have this council position.
Come on... please have some patience. This is a huge change, and Tom has only just now implemented the first parts of it. He has already stated that the banker's position is not going away. We will find a way to fit him into the hierarchy with some meaningful tasks.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #290: September 27, 2011, 02:19:47 PM »
If a duchy loses all its regions (the Duke wasn't a lord), how does it get regions without being named a lord?
It doesn't. The ruler can either keep his pet duke around as a court functionary, or dissolve the duchy.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #291: September 27, 2011, 02:31:44 PM »
So, essentially, if some shiny new lord hits the wrong button when figuring things out for the first time, a Duke/Duchess is screwed over?

That seems...  Silly.

In the past (current system too?) the last city of a realm couldn't leave the realm.  Either Duchies need a similar system or they need ways to reacquire regions.

If I'm the Duke of Xerus (consisting of three regions) and all my regions are taken by enemy forces, why can I not regain them when the army rallies and regains them for the realm, WITHOUT my Duchy being dissolved first?

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #292: September 27, 2011, 02:36:20 PM »
well.. why on earth does he end up with 1 region and then loses it in the 1st place? a brand new duke is by definition a lord of 1 region. he must have done something to end up in a position of no region... or 1 region but not him as lord.

--
i'm not against a duke of no region gaining regions. but it's not as dire as it sounds.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 02:38:59 PM by fodder »
firefox

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #293: September 27, 2011, 02:47:48 PM »
It doesn't. The ruler can either keep his pet duke around as a court functionary, or dissolve the duchy.

Huh... so if you have the title of Duke and you get named Lord, you lose the title of Duke? Does this also apply to RTO and region buying? It would seem in these cases you don't have to swear fealty to anyone but yourself.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #294: September 27, 2011, 03:10:53 PM »
Huh... so if you have the title of Duke and you get named Lord, you lose the title of Duke?
The only way for a duke to get named as a lord is if he assigns himself as a lord of a region in his own duchy. And no, he will not lose the duchy by naming himself as a a lord. That would be kind of silly.

Does this also apply to RTO and region buying? It would seem in these cases you don't have to swear fealty to anyone but yourself.
I don't know how those will work yet.  Most likely if a priest does an RTO then the region will become part of whatever duchy to which he belongs. Same with buying the region. This could be a way for a regionless duke to recover his duchy. Provided the ruler doesn't dissolve it first.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #295: September 27, 2011, 03:15:04 PM »
The only way for a duke to get named as a lord is if he assigns himself as a lord of a region in his own duchy. And no, he will not lose the duchy by naming himself as a a lord. That would be kind of silly.

But if he gets named Lord by another Duke, then he loses the Duke title?

That would make sense, of course. The disappearance of Imperial Regions makes it impossible for a Ruler to "re-populate" a duchy that has gone region-less. If there are workarounds, that would be quite nice.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #296: September 27, 2011, 03:18:03 PM »
But if he gets named Lord by another Duke, then he loses the Duke title?

Please reread the post you are quoting.  Let me highlight the relevant portion:

The only way for a duke to get named as a lord is if he assigns himself as a lord of a region in his own duchy.

If he gets named Lord by another Duke, that's a bug that we need to fix.  No Duke has ever been able to assign someone as Lord who's not already in his Duchy.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #297: September 27, 2011, 03:20:25 PM »
But if he gets named Lord by another Duke...
That is impossible.

Think about it. A duke can only appoint a noble as a region lord if that noble is one of his vassals. A duke cannot be the vassal of another duke.

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #298: September 27, 2011, 06:20:47 PM »
Who has powers to appoint new Lords?

We TO'd a region this turn - but as the Ruler I don't see options to appoint the new Lord anywhere.

Is it now the Duke's ? 

In the Hierarchy page the region does not show up - not Imperial like it would have been (no more imperial regions right?), but it is also not part of the Duchy it was next too.  So can the Duke appoint still (Nosferatus says:  No).

Guess this is just brokens till :D  Oh well, if we can get that working in the next few turns that'd be awesome.

appointing lords is now working under 'govern region', but i can only pick one knight, Luan, who recently unpaused for a moment.
I can't think of why him specifically.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #299: September 27, 2011, 06:23:28 PM »
Is there anyone else available? i.e. anyone else in your duchy who is not already a lord, and who meets the H/P requirements, etc.?