Author Topic: Exotic realm cultures  (Read 30189 times)

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Exotic realm cultures
« Reply #60: July 10, 2011, 03:54:33 PM »
Outer Tilog is Disney-evil, nothing more. 8)

egamma

« Reply #61: July 10, 2011, 07:37:17 PM »
I'm not saying they are nice people. But in my mind, "funny" and "evil" are just completely incompatible. I can think of a ton of different adjectives for comical characters who do bad things, but they are only as "evil" as "evil henchmen" (bland no-name characters that just fight for the big bad guy, rarely see them ever showing they are truly evil and not just stupidly loyal).

Joker from Batman?

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #62: July 10, 2011, 09:12:05 PM »
From the admittedly little that I've seen, Ibladesh is fairly evil when the mood strikes them.

Ahahahaa..hahaha..ha..

Ibladesh isn't evil. It tries to be some sort of holier than thou realm that doesn't torture, doesn't execute, doesn't let infiltrators stab government members of enemy realms, tries to love the peasantry etc.

I'm sorry, but Ibladesh is about as evil as a kitten.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #63: July 10, 2011, 09:27:49 PM »
Joker from Batman?

I didn't see the Dark Knight, so I can't say. But the joker isn't an "evil henchman". And there's a difference between doing something for (your own) laughs, and for doing something for (others') laughs.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Heq

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #64: July 11, 2011, 05:18:30 AM »
If we're using D&D terms, Arcaea strikes me as True Neutral more then evil, though Jenred has some seriously warped standards which can make it appear both very evil and very good, often at the same time.  He certainly believes the ends justifies the means, often his means are Really Evil but his goals are Quite Good.

Arcachon is more Lawful Evil then anything else.  I'm actually considering lifting from Ravenloft:PotM and having signs reading "If You Walk Adghar's Land, Obey Adghar's Laws." pinned to crow-cages.  There are definately a lot of Chaotic Evil players in Arcachon thought and it's by and large ruled by Evil characters (current council 2 LE, 1 NE, 1CE), and one Lawful Good elf from Sirion.

The hilarious thing is that the "evil god" they are always on about in Arcachon does pretty much what they do daily.  He's doing it for Evil though, which makes Arcachon Good.   That is why our army is filled with crusaders and paladins, because we are good.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #65: July 11, 2011, 05:30:04 AM »
Anyone who proclaims himself evil is all but.

The good/evil axis only applies 'past a certain level of sanity.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #66: July 11, 2011, 05:35:33 AM »
If we're using D&D terms, Arcaea strikes me as True Neutral more then evil, though Jenred has some seriously warped standards which can make it appear both very evil and very good, often at the same time.  He certainly believes the ends justifies the means, often his means are Really Evil but his goals are Quite Good.

Arcachon is more Lawful Evil then anything else.  I'm actually considering lifting from Ravenloft:PotM and having signs reading "If You Walk Adghar's Land, Obey Adghar's Laws." pinned to crow-cages.  There are definately a lot of Chaotic Evil players in Arcachon thought and it's by and large ruled by Evil characters (current council 2 LE, 1 NE, 1CE), and one Lawful Good elf from Sirion.

The hilarious thing is that the "evil god" they are always on about in Arcachon does pretty much what they do daily.  He's doing it for Evil though, which makes Arcachon Good.   That is why our army is filled with crusaders and paladins, because we are good.

Heheh...Arcaean morals at this point are essentially "follow where Jenred leads".  That's the only real unifying part of Arcaea and we've got a number of people at all ends of the spectrum.

Jenred's morals...Well, picture the first Chinese emperor crossed with Constantine of Rome crossed with an extra dose of bat!@#$ crazy.  He very much does believe that the ends justify the means, though he distinguishes between ends and Ends, as it were.  Note his absolutely ruthless crackdown on food burning now compared to how he sent out the infiltrators to burn every bushel they could find in Mosesadelphia and Soliferum.  The Sunset Crusade was a real crusade to him, a religious imperative that he pulled out all the stops on.  The wars since then?  Secular affairs, and that limits the means he's willing to accept.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Valast

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #67: July 11, 2011, 10:25:05 PM »
Those whose characters they torture and execute may disagree.

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Outer_Tilog/Brittiany_Torture
http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Outer_Tilog/Valion_Torture

Granted, they are old, but I can confirm that they tortured my adventurer when they caught her--I cant remember if they did to my infil.

I was so mad when Valion was baked into a cake.  Never was right in the head after that bit was he?  Then again it made for interesting times in the FEI as Valion joined the Chaos Req and helped take on ~V~Halls of Blood and Battle~V~ good times..good times...

As for Lukon-- We ARE barbarians dagnabit!  Oh sure we get confused some times... every once in a while someone thinks a skirt is a kilt or chooses silk over bearskin attire... but for the most part...well...we like big axes anyway, and stuff dies around us a lot.  and we hate furry things!  Thats barbaric right??

*scribe enters and wispers something*

Whats that?  Valast is dead?  Well SONOFA thats me!! why didn't someone tell me! I didn't even get a slice of Valcake!

*falls to floor*

egamma

« Reply #68: July 12, 2011, 12:22:03 AM »
I was so mad when Valion was baked into a cake.  Never was right in the head after that bit was he?  Then again it made for interesting times in the FEI as Valion joined the Chaos Req and helped take on ~V~Halls of Blood and Battle~V~ good times..good times...

As for Lukon-- We ARE barbarians dagnabit!  Oh sure we get confused some times... every once in a while someone thinks a skirt is a kilt or chooses silk over bearskin attire... but for the most part...well...we like big axes anyway, and stuff dies around us a lot.  and we hate furry things!  Thats barbaric right??

*scribe enters and wispers something*

Whats that?  Valast is dead?  Well SONOFA thats me!! why didn't someone tell me! I didn't even get a slice of Valcake!

*falls to floor*

Ah, I didn't remember that name. So why did Valast ally with the killer of his uncle or whatever? Lich King the only reason?

Iltaran

• Noble Lord
  • What Gate?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69: July 12, 2011, 03:40:05 PM »
Joker from Batman?

I wouldn't say the Joker was funny in the Dark Knight.
[Solari] it's generally understood that OG survives by some compact with the devil

Askarn - Maedros - Savra - Faed - Vanimus

egamma

« Reply #70: July 12, 2011, 07:46:02 PM »
I wouldn't say the Joker was funny in the Dark Knight.

Yes, I was trying to make the point that OT is evil like the Joker, not funny like the joker.

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...
    • View Profile
« Reply #71: July 12, 2011, 08:03:29 PM »
This was in relation to the place with the 'Eastern' type way.

I heard it was the Far East Island.  From what I understand, it didn't last long.

(yes, yes, I'm replying to stuff from ages ago... I don't visit here often...)

It was the Far East and it was in all the RP work done for the weeks (months?) before the Island went active for characters to actually be able to do anything. The Island (in the original RPs) was two large realms, one of which was Eastern oriented. Once it all went live though, it didn't last that much longer as the ideal of being an RP island didn't last too long unfortunately.
WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #72: July 12, 2011, 08:08:25 PM »
Strange nobody mentioned the Elves of Sirion on East Continent.

Those are the only "magical" or out of this world beings on the whole BM that Tom approves.

Usually they are categorized as "Tree Lovers" or "Tree Huggers" (I love the second one) even thou I'm part of Sirion I play descendants of Oligarch (supposedly half orcs and orcs), just love the dilemma of helping those who are by nature my race enemies.

Who remembers something about Oligarch? they where orcs right?

(yes, more old stuff!)

There was a phase when a number of realms on the East Continent started considering the fantasy route. The only things that were ever official (if I recall correctly) was that Sirion had Elves and the Mines of Isadril were mined by Dwarves.

I remember Itorunt having a discussion about starting to RP as Dark Elves but fortunately they were talked out of this before it got started and shortly after that the decision to stop any fantasy races being in BM was taken. Some in Sirion may still claim to be Elves, but they will only be seen as a different sort of human to any of my characters (as Elves don't exist!)

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #73: July 12, 2011, 08:13:07 PM »
...and in regard to Outer Tilog...

I've never seen it as an Evil realm, just a place that has a different view on the world and a different way of doing things. It has periods of 'stupid' 'evil' behaviour, but also has occasions where the dark ways (and different thinking) are put into fantastic RPs. (It's quieter than it used to be, but we have a lot of long time players who, as life has gone on, just don't have the time they used to - so the great stuff isn't there as often, but it is still there - and some of the newer blood that's been turning up has brought some fresh life there as well (which helps encourage us oldies to put in some effort again!))

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #74: July 13, 2011, 05:34:30 PM »
Is there no one man enough to loot, pillage and torture, just for looting and torturing sake? A realm that maybe possibly rewards people based on assassinations and truly heartless acts.

I can kinda see that any realm like this would find itself with many enemies fast.

You... just described the Barony of Makar. I'm not sure I would call it evil, but the Barony has a very long standing policy regarding prisoners of both sides of a war: "If you get caught in a battle and put in prison the Barony won't pay for you. You are not a slave nor some food nor animal. Try to get out as noisy as you can. On your way out, you can always get some women from the enemy and entertain them."

The result of this policy is that we never form prisoner agreements, which means we can, will, and do torture every hostile (and some others) prisoners in our dungeons. And, being the Barony, looting is considered the national sport, of a sort. As for assassinations, well, infiltrators are... well cared for, to say the least.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.